PDA

View Full Version : false pregnancy

binbob
16-Mar-09, 15:53
hi...does anyone know of any natural remedies for false pregnancy in bitches.??

my orange roan and basset have both had this twice now...
orange roan has been left for it to resolve,took ages,so next time had galastop from vet.milk went but has now returned after 3 weeks.
am just concerned she will get mastitis ...

my basset did get mastitis last false pregnancy....now has milk ..seeing vet tomorrow.

i do know someone will say spay them,but not happy/keen to do that.i have my reasons.

any advice will be gratefully received.

teenybash
16-Mar-09, 17:51
Your poor girls............I don't know of a natural remedy to stop them lactating but, to prevent mastitis you could give 1 tspn cider apple vinegar [organic] to 1 litre of drinking water.
The only thing I know not to do is try to prevent the girls from licking their teats as this will encourage milk flow. The less the milk bar area is touched the better.:)

binbob
16-Mar-09, 18:15
Your poor girls............I don't know of a natural remedy to stop them lactating but, to prevent mastitis you could give 1 tspn cider apple vinegar [organic] to 1 litre of drinking water.
The only thing I know not to do is try to prevent the girls from licking their teats as this will encourage milk flow. The less the milk bar area is touched the better.:)

thanks,teenybash...i will try the cider vinegar.to be honest they are not really licking.
my orange roan is just very unsettled and whiny.
my basset is neither up nor down...typical laid back basset!!
will let u know what happens....;)

tracy x
16-Mar-09, 20:08
Raspberry leaf tablets before season starts and then Sepia or Pulsatilla (depending on disposition of bitch)
try Dorwest Herbs - good prices and great service
tracy x

binbob
16-Mar-09, 22:12
Raspberry leaf tablets before season starts and then Sepia or Pulsatilla (depending on disposition of bitch)
tracy x

thank u ,tracy..much appreciated.:D

crustyroll
17-Mar-09, 01:51
tracy x

Also try Urtica Urens 3C to supress milk flow, cut back on their food sharply for the next few days and this will help too. You probably know to treat them as normal and not make a fuss of them.

I would agree and not spay them unless its really necessary as they can end up with bladder control problems.

Aaldtimer
17-Mar-09, 04:28
Just let them have a litter of pups!:)

binbob
17-Mar-09, 09:48
Just let them have a litter of pups!:)

hi..my orange roan cocker is nearly 9....and has had only 1 litter ,aged 3.

we think ,after discussion with vet last night thatb her ovaries are not bworking correctly and she is very hormonally imbalanced.i think spaying will have to be done soon...still thinking about it.but will do what is best for her.

i have absolutely no desire to have a litter from my basset...soooooo many end up in rescue or worse.she was bought purely as my pet as i adore their look.she is just amazing.she is off to vet later today .thank u to everyone who has suggested natural remedies.i will keep them in mind for the future.

have a lovely day in this super spring sunshine.:)