PDA

View Full Version : Best road to Oban?

Murdina Bug
16-Mar-09, 14:52
Hi, I am looking for some opinions on the best roads to take to Oban from Caithness. It has been a number of years since I was there so I was looking at Multimap for the options. What do you think?
1. Straight down the A9 to Perth then head west on A85
2. A9 to Inverness, then A82, then A85
3. A9 to Inverness, then A82, then coast road from Ballachulish (probably a B road)

I am not in a great hurry but don't want to dawdle -I am also not afraid of twisty roads but would prefer to be on straighter ones where possible!![lol]

riggerboy
16-Mar-09, 15:08
Hi, I am looking for some opinions on the best roads to take to Oban from Caithness. It has been a number of years since I was there so I was looking at Multimap for the options. What do you think?
1. Straight down the A9 to Perth then head west on A85
2. A9 to Inverness, then A82, then A85
3. A9 to Inverness, then A82, then coast road from Ballachulish (probably a B road)

I am not in a great hurry but don't want to dawdle -I am also not afraid of twisty roads but would prefer to be on straighter ones where possible!![lol]

option 2 i think would be the best ???

LMS
16-Mar-09, 15:19
I would say head to Dingwall, then follow signs for Muir of Ord and Beauly through to Drumnadrochit. This bypasses Inverness.

After Fort-William, Oban is signposted all the way. A82 to Ballachulish then A828 to Oban. The latter isn't too twisty and has beautiful scenery.

thebigman
16-Mar-09, 15:23
I would say head to Dingwall, then follow signs for Muir of Ord and Beauly through to Drumnadrochit. This bypasses Inverness.

After Fort-William, Oban is signposted all the way. A82 to Ballachulish then A828 to Oban. The latter isn't too windy and has beautiful scenery.

That's the fastest route, and the one we use when fishing down there. Had a short divert on Friday night through Glencoe because of a traffic accident.

im behind you
16-Mar-09, 17:23
i agree with lms

LMS
16-Mar-09, 17:46
i agree with lms

Could you speak to my husband please? I keep telling him that I am always right but he disagrees with me for some unknown reason. :confused:confused

joxville
16-Mar-09, 18:04
Could you speak to my husband please? I keep telling him that I am always right but he disagrees with me for some unknown reason. :confused:confused

Ah ha! So you're woman!! Now I understand you're first post better. It wasn't really a request to find the better route-it was just to make your husband look stupid. ;)

flash
16-Mar-09, 18:34
I always turn off the A82 at Ballachulish bridge and follow the A828 along the coast. Its about 50 minutes from Fort William, a lovely run and a good road

weeboyagee
16-Mar-09, 19:59
The other choir I have is in Oban - I travel that road sometimes more than twice a month and done so for the past 8 years, and every time I go to Mull if I'm not in time to catch the ferry at Fishnish (meaning I have to go Oban - Craignure). LMS is smack bang on - but at this time of the year (up until the first week in April this year I would suggest) you are as quick going through Inverness. I have timed the Cul na Kirk road v the A9/A82 at this time of the year and the Cul na Kirk road over the back of Beauly and Muir of Ord is slower by about 10 mins. Between April and September expect to take 5 hours to Oban at least from Wick during the normal daytime - less if you leave early in the morning and at about 3 in the afternoon. 65 miles to the Fort and 48 thereafter to Oban - 6 of these disappear on the Ballachullish Bridge - it says 37 miles to Oban just before the bridge and then down to the roundabout and under the bridge it says Oban 31 miles - magic or what!

WBG :cool:

sweetpea
17-Mar-09, 00:23
I always go down to Inverness and through the town and out the Loch Ness Road, follow it until Ft Willliam, then through there and onto the Oban road, works for me.

piratelassie
17-Mar-09, 01:54
No matter what road you take,once your are at the west coast your are in gods country...Lived there for five years,..shame about the rain and the midgies...lol

the second coming
17-Mar-09, 14:39

After Fort-William, Oban is signposted all the way. A82 to Ballachulish then A828 to Oban. The latter isn't too twisty and has beautiful scenery.

That's the best route to avoid traffic. I always go this way when I go home to see the folks, family & friends.

Not such a good route if towing though.

ywindythesecond
24-Mar-09, 00:31
The other choir I have is in Oban - I travel that road sometimes more than twice a month and done so for the past 8 years, and every time I go to Mull if I'm not in time to catch the ferry at Fishnish (meaning I have to go Oban - Craignure). LMS is smack bang on - but at this time of the year (up until the first week in April this year I would suggest) you are as quick going through Inverness. I have timed the Cul na Kirk road v the A9/A82 at this time of the year and the Cul na Kirk road over the back of Beauly and Muir of Ord is slower by about 10 mins. Between April and September expect to take 5 hours to Oban at least from Wick during the normal daytime - less if you leave early in the morning and at about 3 in the afternoon. 65 miles to the Fort and 48 thereafter to Oban - 6 of these disappear on the Ballachullish Bridge - it says 37 miles to Oban just before the bridge and then down to the roundabout and under the bridge it says Oban 31 miles - magic or what!

WBG :cool:
Not magic, just a new bridge at Loch Creran cutting the distance down.

Whitewater
24-Mar-09, 01:09

Best way to go LMS, it's a few years since I last drove it, but that route is fine.