PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating

Invisible
16-Mar-09, 01:22
another thread on driving

60 is the national speed limit for single carriagways, am i right?
30 is the speed limit in built up areas (mostly), and i right?

According to the highway code, you should leave at least one cars length between you and the car infront.

So my point is why, is it when im driving along obeying, do i get numerous cars creeping up my rear flashing lights when im doing nothing wrong.

A question also sprung to mind, is it illegal to tailgate?
I dont think it is but what can be done about it cos it really grinds my gear (excuse the car pun)

Chillie
16-Mar-09, 01:24
Probably because you are invisible[lol]

riggerboy
16-Mar-09, 09:51
another thread on driving

60 is the national speed limit for single carriagways, am i right?
30 is the speed limit in built up areas (mostly), and i right?

According to the highway code, you should leave at least one cars length between you and the car infront.

So my point is why, is it when im driving along obeying, do i get numerous cars creeping up my rear flashing lights when im doing nothing wrong.

A question also sprung to mind, is it illegal to tailgate?
I dont think it is but what can be done about it cos it really grinds my gear (excuse the car pun)

what i do if someone is tailgating me is i quickly turn my lights on and off, most of the time the car behind thinks youve hit the brake and he in turn hits his/her brakes, try it will to see if it works for you

dx100uk
16-Mar-09, 10:11
yes it is illegal

dx

Seabird
16-Mar-09, 10:51
What i do when intimidated by a tailgater is slow down until there is a reasonable space between us.
They seem to get the message and drop back or overtake.
If they show no sign of overtaking but have droped back i will then speed up, i wont brake the speed limit for any moron behind the wheel.
I might add that the A9 and A99 in Caithness seems to have an unofficial speed limit of around 80mph if the cars and vans that pass me are anything to go by.
I have found no matter how fast you are driving there is always someone who wants to drive faster.

Kevin Milkins
16-Mar-09, 11:17
I dont enjoy driving fast and often I am under the speed limit (much to the annoyance of some people behind me) so I pull over at every opotunity to let any traffic behind me pass and then thank the lord that I am in no hurry to get somwhere.

I was driving to Inverness one day and was tailgated by a very frustrated driver flashing his lights and waving his arms so when the chance to pull over came he passed me and stuck his two fingers up and disapeared at high speed into the distance.:confused

I got down the road about 3 miles and the police had pulled him over and I gave a polite wave as I tootled passed.:D Justice

tootler
16-Mar-09, 12:12
Hey, Invisible, sorry to hear you're being harassed by other drivers - I see a lot of this, too, especially on the main road south.:roll:

It's easier to deal with the further south you go, because then there are more lay-bys and you can just pull over and let them fly by and take their own risks - it's much safer to have these guys ahead of you.

It's a pity we don't have so many lay-bys from Brora north, ironically where they're most needed. If you're driving with passengers, many of the corners up here need a lot less than 60, some are best at 30, although of course the boys driving on their own don't feel the same need to slow down and can't understand why anyone else would!!

I've often wondered, as these lads fly by on dangerous bends or blind summits, whether I'd be good enough to stop and pick up the pieces if I found them in the next ditch... I hope I would...:)

Bad Manners
16-Mar-09, 12:35
As long as you are driving safley i dont worry about tailgaters if they wish to take chances and overtake at stupid places it is up to them. one day they will hopefully grow up and realise the alternative is they dont grow up. they dont get the chance

Invisible
16-Mar-09, 16:23
As long as you are driving safley i dont worry about tailgaters if they wish to take chances and overtake at stupid places it is up to them. one day they will hopefully grow up and realise the alternative is they dont grow up. they dont get the chance

Well said.

Invisible
16-Mar-09, 16:24
Hey, Invisible, sorry to hear you're being harassed by other drivers - I see a lot of this, too, especially on the main road south.:roll:

It's easier to deal with the further south you go, because then there are more lay-bys and you can just pull over and let them fly by and take their own risks - it's much safer to have these guys ahead of you.

It's a pity we don't have so many lay-bys from Brora north, ironically where they're most needed. If you're driving with passengers, many of the corners up here need a lot less than 60, some are best at 30, although of course the boys driving on their own don't feel the same need to slow down and can't understand why anyone else would!!

I've often wondered, as these lads fly by on dangerous bends or blind summits, whether I'd be good enough to stop and pick up the pieces if I found them in the next ditch... I hope I would...:)

I'll just point out its not just lads, you have some good points though.

joxville
16-Mar-09, 16:27
Tailgating is considered dangerous driving by the police so they are duty bound to stop and either caution or give the driver a fixed penalty. Unfortunately dangerous driving is usually only seen by the police when it's too late to have prevented the crash.

grandma
16-Mar-09, 16:55
I was driving to Inverness one day and was tailgated by a very frustrated driver flashing his lights and waving his arms so when the chance to pull over came he passed me and stuck his two fingers up and disapeared at high speed into the distance.:confused

I got down the road about 3 miles and the police had pulled him over and I gave a polite wave as I tootled passed.:D Justice

Brilliant. I would have been smiling away all day if that had happened to me.
I find if you slow down while tapping morse code with your brake light they seem to think you're a mad female and immediately drop back. :D

oldmarine
16-Mar-09, 21:26
Tailgating is dangerous and many serious accidents have happened due to tailgating.

barmar62
16-Mar-09, 22:06
So, what if someone admits to tailgating and does it frequently, do you think you should report this to the police, (along with all the other things you think they should know ) You'd be waisting your time !

Jeid
16-Mar-09, 23:52
I drove up from Glasgow last night. Some clown was following me with his headlights and fog lights on, it was so bright, he was doing my head in. I let about 3 cars pass me last night because they were right behind me. Not all of them were frustrating me, but I still let them pass.

I always try and keep a distance from a car in front, I know how frustrating it is.

Invisible
17-Mar-09, 00:19
im gonna get one of those LED digital displays and place it on the back window that reads " If you can read this your too close"

piratelassie
17-Mar-09, 02:03
Seabird, I have no need to reply to this thread, as you have said it all for me.

dx100uk
17-Mar-09, 02:25
I dont enjoy driving fast and often I am under the speed limit (much to the annoyance of some people behind me) so I pull over at every opotunity to let any traffic behind me pass and then thank the lord that I am in no hurry to get somwhere.

you should have gone back and told the police of his actions.
that would of gained him another 3 points.

dx

dx100uk
17-Mar-09, 02:35
easy way of course is to do something about it.
if you have a passenger, use a mobile phone and photo your speedo and then the car behind
email the pixs to your local traffic officer which can be found on your local forces website.

if you have a video phone...even better!

or if you want to do it anon then use crimestoppers website.

i can assure you they are taken notice of & markers are put against the reg plate

the intel soon mounts up poor drivers & action is taken esp by the anpr teams

dx

Kevin Milkins
17-Mar-09, 10:14
you should have gone back and told the police of his actions.
that would of gained him another 3 points.

dx

I did consider turning around and going back to ask him why he felt that he needed to flash the V at me after I had gone to the trouble of pulling over and letting him pass me, but the look on his face when I gave him a polite wave was just about enough.:~(

He already looked a broken man.

Bazeye
17-Mar-09, 13:18
Just wave them on at a bend, when theres an artic coming in the opposite direction. [evil]

barmar62
18-Mar-09, 11:42
You'd be the one that got into trouble, not the tailgater !