PDA

View Full Version : 40years on

Tighsonas4
15-Mar-09, 20:32
it will be 40 years on the 17th that the longhope lifeboat was called out never to return
on board were two fathers with two sons each on board a pratice which was not recommended after the event. waves were reckoned to be 60 feet high that night. never rhe less relatives of the lost still man the present day boat today
such is the lot of those go down to the sea in ships tony

TRUCKER
15-Mar-09, 20:34
It was a sad day, it takes brave men to do a job like that.

golach
15-Mar-09, 20:43
As an ex-seaman, I thank goodness, there are men in this world today, who will still volunteer, to save lives at sea, with out fear of their own. I cannot thank the RNLI enough.

Kevin Milkins
15-Mar-09, 20:56
I could get sea sick just reading this type of thread so big it up for the people that are brave enough to do this type of work.

Kenn
16-Mar-09, 00:31
Seems like it was only yesterday as it is still so vivid in memory.
To all those who volunteer we owe a deap gratitude for their selflessness.

piratelassie
16-Mar-09, 00:47
It's a night i will never forget,i still vividly remember the lifeboat be taken into scrabster harbour.god rest there brave souls....

JAWS
16-Mar-09, 03:41
I'm not local but Longhope is a name etched on my brain none the less. It takes a particular kind of person to head out to sea in the full knowledge that everybody else is heading for shelter.
It's certainly not something I would be brave enough to do and I am not afraid to admit it.

riggerboy
16-Mar-09, 08:39
as an x fisherman i can only thank the lifeboat for the work they carry out, some say that the crew are like angels sent from heaven to save you, i would agree with that, i never need their services but a few friends of mine did, god bless them

trinkie
16-Mar-09, 09:14
Remembering......

I've put the poem on the Lit page, some of you might like to read it again.
There's also a beautiful tune called The Heroes of Longhope written by W.R.Aim. It's in the 'Orkney Collection' a book of wonderful Orkney music.

Thanks to Lifeboat men wherever they may be.

Trinkie

jock leith
16-Mar-09, 09:56
Was in Merchant Navy and on our way home from NZ when news came through of the disaster.One of our crew lost five members of his family,the company Port Line arranged for flights as soon as we docked.And because I was traveling to Wick asked me to travel with him for company.I will not mention the guys name out of respect for his great loss
Regards JL

Venture
16-Mar-09, 10:00
I too will never forget the sight of the Longhope Lifeboat TGB being towed in to Scrabster, the bodies of seven crew still inside it. The eerie silence of the hundreds who were there was unforgettable.

Too often we take these services for granted and forget that when we are tucked up in bed on a stormy night that brave lifeboat men are on call waiting to give their lives to save others.

It truly can be a very cruel sea.

Scunner
16-Mar-09, 12:06
Remembering......

There's also a beautiful tune called The Heroes of Longhope written by W.R.Aim. It's in the 'Orkney Collection' a book of wonderful Orkney music.

Trinkie

Is that sung to the tune 'Crimond'?

trinkie
16-Mar-09, 19:44
Scunner - I dont think either of the poems can be sung to Crimmond.
The tune I mentioned is a special piece written for the Longhope Lifeboat. It's a most haunting melody and you can feel the swell of the sea in it.
I have a feeling Wick's Gordon Gunn has recorded it on one of his CDs - it is most beautiful played on the Fiddle.

Thanks to Lifeboat men wherever they may be.

Trinkie

trinkie
16-Mar-09, 19:48
Shortcut to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXbH6cfNAI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXbH6cfNAI)

Here's a link - I dont have music just now, so I do hope this is nicely played.

Trinkie

oldmarine
16-Mar-09, 19:54
it will be 40 years on the 17th that the longhope lifeboat was called out never to return
on board were two fathers with two sons each on board a pratice which was not recommended after the event. waves were reckoned to be 60 feet high that night. never rhe less relatives of the lost still man the present day boat today
such is the lot of those go down to the sea in ships tony

I have never heard of the Longhope lifeboat, but it is quite a story. Having been a WW2 U.S. Marine I spent a lot of time at sea and have good feelings and memories of those type situations. I know of many comrades lost at sea plus many who made it safely with safe pickups.

percy toboggan
16-Mar-09, 20:10
A timely reminder of how much we owe to these selfless, and brave men.
Amongst Britain's finest.

Venture
16-Mar-09, 20:12
I have never heard of the Longhope lifeboat, but it is quite a story. Having been a WW2 U.S. Marine I spent a lot of time at sea and have good feelings and memories of those type situations. I know of many comrades lost at sea plus many who made it safely with safe pickups.

Here is some info for you oldmarine.

http://www.erdingtonrnli.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=14&MMN_position=37:16

oldmarine
16-Mar-09, 20:21
Here is some info for you oldmarine.

http://www.erdingtonrnli.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=14&MMN_position=37:16

Thank you Venture for the story of the Longhope Lifeboat Disaster. Having been in Thurso, Caithness during tthe 1980's I recognised many of the landmarks described in the story. However I never had heard of this story before.

Buttercup
16-Mar-09, 20:31
It was a tragic day firmly etched in my memory. Dan Kirkpatrick and his crew were brave men who paid the ultimate price.
God protect his grandson Kevin and crew of the present Longhope boat and all crews throughout the country.