PDA

View Full Version : Dog mess on country road verges!

Westsider3
15-Mar-09, 19:52
Sorry to bring up the dog fouling issue again but I am so fed up with the amount of dog's mess that is being left on the grass verges of the country road that we live on. It is unbelievable the how many people walk their dogs down the road and leave the mess on the verge. Then when you are out walking and have to stand on the verge to let cars pass what happens - yip you guessed it, it's plastered on the sole of your shoe.

Perhaps some people do not think it is necessary to pick up mess left on the verges but I would like to draw their attention to it.

Also it would be nice for dog owners to lift their dog's mess at areas such as piers or small harbours where often families may walk to or visit. The one local to us is riddled with dog's dirt so much so that it is not a place we go to anymore. There is one person in particular who, without fail, goes there morning and night and lets their dogs run around and do their business then drives off and leaves it. I hope they or someone in their family reads this and thinks on!!

Rant over!

changilass
15-Mar-09, 19:56
When going out today, I opened the gate only to have to stop in my tracks, a massive turd just outside the gate. Now I have a dog and we clean up after him all the time, I do not appreciate other folks leaving their dog turds just outside my gate. The only silver lining is that the wee man had not gone in front of me, cos I don't think he would have stopped.

Grrrrrrrrr

butterfly
15-Mar-09, 20:01
I dont understand how dog owners dont lift their dirt up.I have a dog myself and would never leave it no matter where he did it.Some may get embarassed about having to pick up but i would be embarassed to just leave it there.:roll:

LMS
15-Mar-09, 20:03
I quite often walk down the Black Stairs towards Wick Swimming Pool - it is horrendous.

I spoke to the dog warden a few years back and he was very keen to get the offenders but his hands were tied. He needed names and times but people were reluctant to do so. He also wanted to go out at night and catch people but the council wouldn't let him. He was out within one hour of being called and erected some signs. I don't know who the dog warden is now but I feel he/she needs to get out and about a bit more.

I think that a lot of the problems come from dogs who are not on the lead and therefore the owners are not spotting the 'deposits'.

Westsider3
15-Mar-09, 22:08
I have thought about putting up a sign outside our house asking people to be considerate and pick up their dog mess but I am not sure if this is acceptable or not? I know many of the people who pass with their dogs and I am sure that they have just not thought about what they are doing. I would like to think that if it was pointed out to them that they might then pick up their mess! Maybe I will contact the dog warden to see if they can erect some signs. I presume I should contact the council about it?

beth210486
16-Mar-09, 08:59
I live in Halkirk and find that dog mess is an absolute nightmare on the pavements and grass verges. I have a dog myself and take her out twice a day and usually have a pushchair with me too and I always make sure I pick up her mess. It's hardwork taking out the dog and pushchair at the same time because you are constantly trying to avoid the dog mess.

joxville
16-Mar-09, 09:15
Sorry to bring up the dog fouling issue again but I am so fed up with the amount of dog's mess that is being left on the grass verges of the country road that we live on. It is unbelievable the how many people walk their dogs down the road and leave the mess on the verge. Then when you are out walking and have to stand on the verge to let cars pass what happens - yip you guessed it, it's plastered on the sole of your shoe.

Perhaps some people do not think it is necessary to pick up mess left on the verges but I would like to draw their attention to it.

Also it would be nice for dog owners to lift their dog's mess at areas such as piers or small harbours where often families may walk to or visit. The one local to us is riddled with dog's dirt so much so that it is not a place we go to anymore. There is one person in particular who, without fail, goes there morning and night and lets their dogs run around and do their business then drives off and leaves it. I hope they or someone in their family reads this and thinks on!!

Rant over!

Over a few nights, to prove it isn't a one off occassion, take a note of his registration and what times he is letting the dog foul the area then give your evidence to the council. Take photo evidence of the dog in action if possible.

crashbandicoot1979
18-Mar-09, 15:42
The dog warden does do a lot of patrols but the problem is that she has to be visible (in the same manner as speed cameras have to be visible, I suposse). Therefore people know she's there and make a point of cleaning up so its hard to catch them at it. If you have the name of people who are not picking up, and the approx time they are there she will try her best to catch them. Also if you want a sign put up, she's the person to talk to.

ShelleyCowie
18-Mar-09, 17:31
Dog mess is just absolutely disgusting! Its like your dog letting the owner do the dirty in the middle of the street! Highly embarrassing and revolting.

I dont own a dog at the moment but have owned a few before and i had a pooper scooper! Far less yuky.

But when i take the pram up and down the road at Pennyland Nursery/School without a doubt, there is at least 1 dog poop every time! Pushing the pram (tank), and my oh behind me with 2 kids avoiding poo, dodging other kids, other prams and parents is not easy!

And it is disgraceful having this mess anywhere in town, but outside a childs school/nursery! Not on! [disgust]

Penelope Pitstop
18-Mar-09, 17:35
I have thought about putting up a sign outside our house asking people to be considerate and pick up their dog mess but I am not sure if this is acceptable or not? I know many of the people who pass with their dogs and I am sure that they have just not thought about what they are doing. I would like to think that if it was pointed out to them that they might then pick up their mess! Maybe I will contact the dog warden to see if they can erect some signs. I presume I should contact the council about it?

You've just reminded me...I did just that when we were in our old house. A couple at the top of our road walked their dog a few times a day past our house and 9 times out of 10 there would be dog poop at the entrance to the drive on the verge. Drove me mad when cutting the grass. So I did just as you have suggested - made up signs and put them on the verge on a small wooden post...seemed to work the dog poop stopped!!:) Try it and see.

George Brims
18-Mar-09, 18:18
I suggest the following wording: "Dog owners should be aware that whatever their dog drops here will follow them home."

arana negra
19-Mar-09, 10:05
I suggest the following wording: "Dog owners should be aware that whatever their dog drops here will follow them home."

Too right it would, I would have no hesitation in returding said pile to home of ignorant owner till they got enough of the message/s :lol:

white lightning
20-Mar-09, 14:50
Well the certain person who has been letting her dog foul at the pier in dunnet is now going to St Johns Loch and letting her dog poop all over there....... I was thinking I might gather it all up and pop it in her garden and see how they like it then i might also throw in a couple o dirty nappies
there would be an uproar then.... Iam sick fed up o dog owners who dont pick up their dogs mess!!!! The forest is just as bad I dont even go there now because of the dogs as they use it as a massive litter tray. they wouldnt like it if I let my bairns pee and poop all over the paths!!!!
:([mad][mad]

Valerie Campbell
20-Mar-09, 15:20
The dog owners who don't pick up their dog's mess give the ones that do pick it up a bad name as they're all lumped in together. If you have a dog, unless it poos in a really awkward place like under a gorse bush - yes, I've seen it done! - I think you're morally obliged to pick it up. We have a dog. We pick up his mess, no questions asked. Ok, as people go past and I wave, it's often with the bag in my hand, but hey ho, that's just a dog walker's life isn't it?

Skerries
21-Mar-09, 09:02
I was in the swing park on the Victoria Walk yesterday and a young woman let her dog do its mess twice along the adjacent footpath. She looked both ways (presumably for a warden) then let the dog get on with it. She didn't pick up afterwards.

This is a few metres from a children's play area, and there were several prams about, children playing and people going for a walk because of the good weather.

The message about dog fouling is apparently not getting across to some folk. [disgust]

mrsinkstack
25-Mar-09, 20:03
I was walking down Thurso beach the other day with the bairns when a dog nearly dumped on my feet, after making a sarcastic comment to the owner, she looked me up and down and carried on walking, I shouted after her, don't pick it up then - it's a disgrace :~(

shazzy
25-Mar-09, 20:43
i used to live in a house that had an open front garden,a lady walked her dog passed my garden three times a day and most of the time the dog 'left a present' for me in the garden.I asked her a few times to please pick it up which i got ignored or abuse.I ended up picking the poo up and saving it in a carrier for a few days and knocked on her door,passing her the (smelly)carrier and explaining that it was from her dog and as she cant pick it up i did it for her! It did the trick!:D

daviddd
25-Mar-09, 20:49
It's a global-scale problem.

Last March I was enjoying a beatiful white sandy beach in Bowen, Oz, in the warm early-morning sun, when 2 women walking past with big dogs allowed them to poop (and they were very big poops) right inside the shark nets - a 100m stretch which is the only bit where one (mostly kids as it happens) can swim in the sea without fear of a Great White taking a leg. I shouted after them "excuse me - you've forgotten something!" but they never moved a muscle to look back and even register that there was a problem and just stiffly stared ahead and carried on chatting. I felt like scooping the mess up, running after them and flinging it at them at close range. I would have been quickly arrested I expect, but maybe it would have been worth it for the publicity.

Struth is, some people just don't give a Castlemaine XXXX about the welfare of the rest of us, despite Toxicaris Canis causing blindness to children, are totally self-centered and anti-social, and for some individuals this may always be the case.

daviddd
25-Mar-09, 20:51
I was walking down Thurso beach the other day with the bairns when a dog nearly dumped on my feet, after making a sarcastic comment to the owner, she looked me up and down and carried on walking, I shouted after her, don't pick it up then - it's a disgrace :~(good on 'ya Mrs Inkstack - maybe we should all *confront* the irresponsible owners?!

katarina
25-Mar-09, 22:01
If there's one thing I hate more than people who don't clean up after their dog is people who do, and then throw the bag at the side of the road. Last walk I took I counted nine of these little presents scattered around. At least if it's in the open air it will eventually dry up and blow away however disgusting it is in the meantime, however, wrapped in plastic, it will last for a few hundred years. What will that tell furure generations?

SunnyChick
26-Mar-09, 14:43
Dog fouling is pretty rife in Scarfskerry too.

If I need to get onto the verge to let a car pass, then I need to be very careful where to place the pram wheels. Even on the wee pebble beach I have to keep a close eye on what my kids are picking up and where they are standing... there is dog mess everywhere.

Lots of the villagers here have got dogs, but I've no idea who's empyting their dog from Burn Road all the way down to the harbour! :mad:

A walk through your village and down to the harbour on a sunny day... ....well, it should be a pleasurable experience........

mrsinkstack
27-Mar-09, 16:14
Or bobbing up and down in the sea as the case can be at Dunnet Beach !! What's the point in putting a dog poo in a bag and ditching it on the beach, forest or side of the road, the bag takes how long to decompose and someone else will end up eventually picking the thing up.

Last summer I was on the beach with the bairns when I witnessed a toddler pull of her nappy which she had just pooed in, dropped on the beach and walk back to her parents. Did any adult walk down the beach to pick the dirty nappy up, no they didn't, manky beggars :( Left on the beach along with everything else to pick up at the annual beach clean up - it really isn't fair.

A little consideration for other people goes a long way, I would always want to be treated the same way as I treat other people with respect, and not for people to cr@p on my back doorstep, be it dogs or bairns !

They would soon have the boys in blue knocking at my door if I dumped in their back garden eh !!