PDA

View Full Version : Road Crossings

Mr P Cannop
15-Mar-09, 17:27
are cars and other type of transport meant to stop at zebra crossings ??

cuddlepop
15-Mar-09, 17:30
Yes but they can make you wait to cross.I've seen my Oh just get so fed up he actualy steps out onto the road.:eek:

Mr P Cannop
15-Mar-09, 17:36
i was comming back up the hill from the shop in spring park (co op) abot 4.05pm and he never stopped what should i do the next time this happens ?? whats the law about cars and people waiting to cross at zebra crossings ??

what should i do the next time a car does not stop when am waiting to cross ??

bekisman
15-Mar-09, 17:54
The Highway Code is quite clear on the matter. Any one with a recent copy will find rules 18 to 20 useful for pedestrians and rules 167 to 171 useful for motorists. For those without a highway code, here is a summary.

MOTORISTS – When a pedestrian has stepped onto the crossing, you must stop.

PEDESTRIANS – Make your intention clear, but ensure the traffic has stopped before you proceed.

Mr P Cannop
15-Mar-09, 17:56
The Highway Code is quite clear on the matter. Any one with a recent copy will find rules 18 to 20 useful for pedestrians and rules 167 to 171 useful for motorists. For those without a highway code, here is a summary.

PEDESTRIANS – Make your intention clear, but ensure the traffic has stopped before you proceed.

are cars meant to stop when they see you at them ?? i was waiting to cross and the car did not stop

MadPict
15-Mar-09, 17:58
A good rule of thumb is always make eye contact with the driver before you cross - that way, when they run you down, you know they can't use the excuse "I never saw them"...

Mik.M.
15-Mar-09, 18:07

Highway code & Caithness are words that don`t usually go in a sentence together! :lol:. People using phones whilst driving, dogs on drivers lap whilst driving,seat belts not worn, sidelights only when it`s dark and raining,not giving way to larger vehicles,parking on zig-zags at the crossing and the bus stop in Thurso.

rfr10
15-Mar-09, 18:34
It is only against the law to continue driving if someone is already on the crossing. If someone is waiting to cross, the car driver does not have to stop but anyone with consideration normally will.

EDDIE
15-Mar-09, 18:57
are cars and other type of transport meant to stop at zebra crossings ??

if u are waiting to cross they should stop and let u cross.I Know its not much of an excuse but if i have been driving on that particular road all the time and then someone build a zebra crossing on it i have been guilty of forgetting about it and driving through until i get used to a zebra crossing being there i must be losing it

Mr P Cannop
15-Mar-09, 18:59
if u are waiting to cross they should stop and let u cross.I Know its not much of an excuse but if i have been driving on that particular road all the time and then someone build a zebra crossing on it i have been guilty of forgetting about it and driving through until i get used to a zebra crossing being there i must be losing it

the last 2 times i have been waiting to cross they have not stoped

balto
16-Mar-09, 00:24
it wasnt that long ago really that a small child was knocked over there caused by the same thing.

Julia
16-Mar-09, 00:43
Once you have placed your foot on the crossing you are obviously intending to cross the road, any decent and courteous motorist should stop to let you cross. Assertiveness is the name of the game.

I'm not suggesting you leap out onto the crossing, make sure the driver sees you!

Chillie
16-Mar-09, 02:06
Highway code & Caithness are words that don`t usually go in a sentence together! :lol:. People using phones whilst driving, dogs on drivers lap whilst driving,seat belts not worn, sidelights only when it`s dark and raining,not giving way to larger vehicles,parking on zig-zags at the crossing and the bus stop in Thurso.

Well said...! they up her have no clue about such things....???:~(

Mr P Cannop
16-Mar-09, 07:54
who has the right of way the motorist or the member of the public using the zebra crossing ??

riggerboy
16-Mar-09, 08:34

perfectly okay in wick must be a thurso thing, the weekers always stick to th highway code, 99% of all weekers are 100% perfect drivers, i think i'm in the 1% group but still trying really hard, reading the highway code as i go ( not easy while driving in the town) but at least i'm trying

Mr P Cannop
16-Mar-09, 08:41
aye its in thurso

Mr P Cannop
01-Apr-09, 19:42
just to let you all know a letter and a photo should be in fridays local paper about this

northener
03-Apr-09, 14:48
Right, lets get this cleared up once and for all. There has been at least one post on this thread that is completely wrong and could get someone killed.

As has already been pointed out (and referenced to in the HC) by other posters, pedestrians ONLY have priority once they have stepped onto the crossing.

If you are waiting to cross, the cars should stop, note should and not must.
The reason for this is to stop people walking out in front of cars that are possibly too close to stop safely or may who simply may not be paying attention and stand a chance of running into the pedestrian.

The signs that have been placed next to the crossings stating that drivers MUST stop and let anyone cross who is at the crossing are completely wrong and go against the HC. These signs should say must give way to anyone on the crossing.

But... if on your driving test, the Examiner will expect you to stop (if safe to do so) and let people cross who are waiting.......which again goes against the HC.

In a nutshell, cars can go until you step out. Never EVER expect them to stop. "I had priority" means effall when you're underneath a car.

joxville
03-Apr-09, 14:57
Wecome back to the org Northener, glad to see you are still as jolly as ever. ;)

northener
03-Apr-09, 16:21
Wecome back to the org Northener, glad to see you are still as jolly as ever. ;)

Why, thankyou Joxy.:D

DeHaviLand
03-Apr-09, 16:24
aye, and wb from me too northener. Theres one or two on here now who would benefit from your biting sarcasm and wit.:roll:

Blondie
03-Apr-09, 16:27
Welcome back Northerner! I hope you're sticking around :)

Venture
03-Apr-09, 16:31
Right, lets get this cleared up once and for all. There has been at least one post on this thread that is completely wrong and could get someone killed.

As has already been pointed out (and referenced to in the HC) by other posters, pedestrians ONLY have priority once they have stepped onto the crossing.

If you are waiting to cross, the cars should stop, note should and not must.
The reason for this is to stop people walking out in front of cars that are possibly too close to stop safely or may who simply may not be paying attention and stand a chance of running into the pedestrian.

The signs that have been placed next to the crossings stating that drivers MUST stop and let anyone cross who is at the crossing are completely wrong and go against the HC. These signs should say must give way to anyone on the crossing.

But... if on your driving test, the Examiner will expect you to stop (if safe to do so) and let people cross who are waiting.......which again goes against the HC.

In a nutshell, cars can go until you step out. Never EVER expect them to stop. "I had priority" means effall when you're underneath a car.

Crikey Northerner, it took you nearly four months to put that post together. Where have you been? We've missed your good humour, wit and charm. Perhaps you've bin on a wheelie good holiday. Or is that just a load of rubbish. Welcome back.;)

wifie
03-Apr-09, 16:48
Well pointed out Northener! WELCOME BACK TOO! :D It all boils down to courtesy which is sadly lacking these days!

bish667
03-Apr-09, 17:10
Can i just ask how many accidents had occured there to make the council put up a zebra crossing there(spring park)?

Mr P Cannop
03-Apr-09, 18:41
there is a letter in todays local paper did you all see it ?? whats your news and views about the letter ??

changilass
03-Apr-09, 18:45
No view as never saw the paper and you aint put a link to the story.

northener
03-Apr-09, 19:12
http://forum.caithness.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3533&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1238780495 (http://forum.caithness.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3533&d=1238780495)

That's the sign I was on about Mr Cannop. Whoever worded that should be beaten around the head with one of the signs.[disgust]
It almost invites unsuspecting pedestrians to walk out in front of cars.

Here's the relevant HC section:

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing

'Onto' not bloody 'at'.

'At' implies waiting at the side of the road.

Oh, and Hi to everyone who said 'hello'!:Razz

Mr P Cannop
03-Apr-09, 19:20
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/6411/Zebra_crossing_concerns.html

Venture
03-Apr-09, 19:23
Well Paul by the content of your letter it seems you were waiting AT the Crossing not ON it. It's up to the driver whether he stops to let you carry on and cross the road. Obviously this one wasn't very courteous.

butterfly
03-Apr-09, 19:58
When i wait at the crossings most drivers stop and allow me to cross,but i would never walk over until i was sure that the approaching vehicle was slowing down to stop.

ShelleyCowie
03-Apr-09, 20:27
Well Paul by the content of your letter it seems you were waiting AT the Crossing not ON it. It's up to the driver whether he stops to let you carry on and cross the road. Obviously this one wasn't very courteous.

Thats the impression i am getting too! :confused

There are occassions that i am waiting at a zebra crossing and i still wait for cars to clear before crossing. You can never rely on someone to stop or see you.

alex
03-Apr-09, 21:19
9.iii) Antelopes, giraffes and zebras: Always be aware of Comfort Zone distances.

All antelopes will panic when approached by a moving vehicle and leave the pathway but be aware that they may well jump directly into the vehicles path rather than towards safe refuge.

Giraffes and zebras may kick out if approached too closely, fast or without due care and cause injury to passengers and vehicle alike. Any lack of care causing injury or damage to passenger, animal, vehicle or yourself will result in immediate disciplinary action leading to almost automatic suspension or dismissal.

Perhaps all drivers should be trained like safari guides?

northener
03-Apr-09, 21:28
"All Weekers will panic when approached by a moving vehicle and leave the pathway but be aware that they may well jump directly into the vehicles path rather than towards safe refuge."

Fixed it for you.;)

joxville
03-Apr-09, 21:46
"All Weekers will panic when approached by a moving vehicle and leave the pathway but be aware that they may well jump directly into the vehicles path rather than towards safe refuge."

Fixed it for you.;)

All Earthlings will panic when approached by a Mother Bin and leave the pathway but be aware that they may well jump directly into the Little Wheelie rather than towards safe refuge." [lol]

alex
03-Apr-09, 22:26

Fixed it for you.;)

You clearly know these guys, I don't. So it's a bit early for me to be making judgements or worse enemies ;) So I'll stick with drawing pictures for the next week or so...