PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding Bravery or Just Duty?

JAWS
20-Feb-06, 15:05
Some time ago a Police Officer, Stephen Oake, was murdered during an Immigration Enquiry at a premises in Manchester.

During the conduct of that enquiry the Police Officers involved became aware that one of the people in the premises was, in fact, a suspected active Terrorist believed to be involved in the manufacture of one of the most deadly poisons known.
Immediately the Terrorist realised his identity had been discovered he grabbed a knike from a kitchen drawer and attacked PC Oake who was alone in the kitchen with him.
Despite being stabbed eight times, four of which pierced his heart and lungs,
PC Oake clung on to the assailant until other Officers could subdue him.
PC Oake died shortly after as a result of his injuries.
Much was made at the time about his bravery and the Prime Minister and his wife attended his Funeral.
PC Oakes was recommended for consideration of receiving, posthumously, the George Cross.

The Home Office Committee which considers such matters have, during the last week, decided that his actions are not worthy of any award at all, not even a lesser one.
The amongst the various reasons they give for their dismissive attitude are, “That his actions were not premeditated.” and that he was, “Acting within the line of duty.”

Do they really believe that we should expect a Police Officer who has suffered fatal wounds to that extent would carry on as normal instead of putting as much distance between him and his assailant as soon as the first serious wound was inflicted.
I know what my first instinct would be and the Hell with the Terrorist..

I wonder what the reaction of the Home Office would have been had he been murdered in such a manner saving the life of a Government Minister?

angela5
20-Feb-06, 15:09
I wonder what the reaction of the Home Office would have been had he been murdered in such a manner saving the life of a Government Minister?

He would of had the biggest award ever then..:roll:

willowbankbear
20-Feb-06, 15:13
I think the Home office got it wrong there, Bloke died a hero in my book, IF it has been reported truthfully.

scotsboy
20-Feb-06, 15:25
It would be interesting to see who was on The Home Office Committee.

Another topic dealt with in the movie Crash - the giving of awards in situations like this.......how ironic.

jjc
20-Feb-06, 16:22
I'm with Willowbankbear on this... the Home Office do seem to have got this one all wrong.

badger
20-Feb-06, 16:36
Tell me the last time they got something right? This is disgraceful.