PDA

View Full Version : Fact of the Day

Tugmistress
20-Feb-06, 10:17
from the scotsman ..

FACT OF THE DAY

The islands of Orkney and Shetland became Scottish territory today in 1472, when they were annexed to the Crown as part of a marriage dowry to King James III. Both have strong links to their previous owners, the Norwegians, as can be seen each year in Shetland at the Up Helly Aa Viking winter festival or in the numerous ancient sites that dot both islands.

JAWS
20-Feb-06, 10:42
Didn't the Maid of Norway die before the Marriage took place?

Greenrunner
20-Feb-06, 12:58
I suppose since Royal Male was involved there was always a chance she wouldnt arrive?

Tugmistress
20-Feb-06, 14:45
Didn't the Maid of Norway die before the Marriage took place?

To be perfectly honest Jaws, i have no idea! Am trying to find stuff on the net but my google foo has upped a foo'd off ;) :p

JAWS
20-Feb-06, 19:06
To be perfectly honest Jaws, i have no idea! Am trying to find stuff on the net but my google foo has upped a foo'd off ;) :p
Just my evil bit of mischief. Somebody will no doubt set my right if I am mistaken but I think that the voyage from Norway was rather long and very rough. During the journey the young Princess was taken very ill and died.
The Marriage never took place but King James kept a tight grip on the dowry.
I've no doubt that doing so helped mend his poor, broken heart.

I also understand that part of the agreement was that Norway maintained the right to buy the islands back for, I believe, sixty shillings or not the equivalent of three pounds.
I think our leaders should remember to be very nice to Norway and not upset them!