PDA

View Full Version : Frank Bruno

jjc
23-Sep-03, 14:26
I was absolutely appalled by the coverage of Frank Bruno’s psychiatric problems this morning.

I flicked on BBC News24 whilst getting ready for work and thought he must have died overnight. Their reporter was busily running through his life story and telling what a great man he was, what a great personality he was, what a famous figure he was, even that he was a father of three – you get the picture…

Over the past few years mental health charities have been trying to educate the public and remove the stigma attached to mental health problems. When even a supposedly reputable media outlet like the BBC can, however sympathetically, treat Frank Bruno as if his life has come to an end, it seems that the lesson is still far from learned.

As for The Sun’s headline: ‘Bonkers Bruno Locked Up’. The editor should lose their job for that little gem – perhaps The Sport is a more suitable paper for someone of their ability?

golach
23-Sep-03, 19:42
JJC,
I to am appaled at the insensitvity of that rag of a ...... well I cannot call it a newspaper,the Sun and the way the editorial staff have treated one of Britains well regarded sportsmen.
Golach

squidge
23-Sep-03, 23:12
Poor Frank Bruno.

Mental Illness is hard on everyone and it is devastating to see a loved one in a psychiatric hospital - regardless of whether it is the right place for them or not. I hope he gets the help he needs to recover and tell those horrible intolerant and ignorant people who are poking fun at him to get lost

©Amethyst
24-Sep-03, 20:45
Mental illnesses are just that, illnesses. Many people can overcome things like mental breakdowns. But some can be as destructive as a Cancer left untreated. I'm sure if he was in a coma but making progress they wouldn't have been all 'this is what he was' blah-blah-blah... they'd be wishing him a speedy recovery, aye? Well, that's what we should be doing... wishing him well and that he recovers well.

So to heck with the media!

Penny
24-Sep-03, 22:10
[mad] The Sun Newspaper - it's not even fit to be cut up into little squares - like the pure white ones we usually see on a roll.................and you know what we do with that!!!!

Get well soon Frank - God bless you.