PDA

View Full Version : wick is a good place

Fran
14-Mar-09, 02:58
Have recently returned from Fraserburgh and can honestly say i was pleased to be back in wick for various reasons.
We have a train station, Fraserburgh doesnt.
We have a nice christmas tree etc, Fraserburgh doesnt.
We have a good hospital, nice and clean and plenty of doctors. Fraserburgh hasnt...there is a small old hospital, pre war, and no doctor. If you go as an emergency you have to wait for the gp on call to arrive, and he could be anywhere.
We can walk around looking in shop windows, there you cant, they have to have metal shutters because of vandalism.
Here you are safe, not there, and you cant carry a handbag there either.
We can see a consultant at hospital in wick. In Fraserburgh you have to travel the 42 miles to aberdeen.
I could go on. wick is not such a bad place as some people think. i think we are lucky in wick and i am glad to be back.

butterfly
14-Mar-09, 03:21
aye Fran ,Wicks not a bad place to be and its always nice to come home!:)

horseman
14-Mar-09, 06:50
Fine positive post Fran,good to hear it-
Naturally you will get the other side of the coin aired to-but yours works for me:D

EDDIE
14-Mar-09, 07:57
Have recently returned from Fraserburgh and can honestly say i was pleased to be back in wick for various reasons.
We have a train station, Fraserburgh doesnt.
We have a nice christmas tree etc, Fraserburgh doesnt.
We have a good hospital, nice and clean and plenty of doctors. Fraserburgh hasnt...there is a small old hospital, pre war, and no doctor. If you go as an emergency you have to wait for the gp on call to arrive, and he could be anywhere.
We can walk around looking in shop windows, there you cant, they have to have metal shutters because of vandalism.
Here you are safe, not there, and you cant carry a handbag there either.
We can see a consultant at hospital in wick. In Fraserburgh you have to travel the 42 miles to aberdeen.
I could go on. wick is not such a bad place as some people think. i think we are lucky in wick and i am glad to be back.

Fran any place is better than the broch i quite often work in the broch and to be honest fraserburgh and peterhead cant stand being in these towns when ever i go there its always raining or windy or cold i think the only advantage living up there is the property is cheaper thats all

jock leith
14-Mar-09, 08:43
Wick is a great place,I have lived in a few places during my time,Liverpool,Devizes(Wiltshire)to name a couple,I now live in New Zealand which is marvelous,but Wick will always be home.It's the people that make a place,so keep alive some of the old traditions,thats what makes the place unique.
JL

Bad Manners
14-Mar-09, 09:05
I have to agree Fran whilst wick is not perfect it is far better than a lot of places and we have a lot to be greatful for.

b3n
14-Mar-09, 10:14
I agree to! We went down south last year for our hols.
Spent a fortune, and wondered why we went away in the first place!!
It was so nice to get back, its nice and quite, with lovely views and friendly people.

Rozzer
14-Mar-09, 10:16
I would take all the people that moan about Wick and deposit them in central Birmingham or Nottingham for six weeks. It would be very interesting to see their comments when they returned.

Wick is a very nice town, with very nice people, in a very nice location. There are a few blemishes, as there are anywhere, but the good points far outweigh the bad points.

No particular offence meant against Birmingham or Nottingham, they were just the first ones that I could think of!

riggerboy
14-Mar-09, 10:19
dont know about wick never lived there, but the place i like is a small quaint fishing village just a little further south of wick call poulteney town a lovely wee place full of lovely characters,

shazzap
14-Mar-09, 14:01
I think Caithness as a whole is a very nice area.

teenybash
14-Mar-09, 14:18
Wick and Caithness in general gets top marks from me. I don't think I would want to be anywhere else.:)

davie
14-Mar-09, 14:55
If this is 'Be Nice to a Weeker Day' count me out !.

Only joking - its my favourite town in the County.

joxville
14-Mar-09, 14:56
I saw the thread title and thought it was going to be followed by the words "to avoid". [lol]

Bruce_H
14-Mar-09, 15:15
I was fortunate to spend a week in Wick this past October, and frankly I can't wait to return. It is truly one of the great small towns in the UK if not the world.

I honestly think that there would be a lot more people who would be aware to its charms if the drive up the A9 were not so daunting. Then again, not having an invasion of people from the south is quite possibly a blessing.

Bruce H
San Diego, CA

riggerboy
14-Mar-09, 15:30
I was fortunate to spend a week in Wick this past October, and frankly I can't wait to return. It is truly one of the great small towns in the UK if not the world.

I honestly think that there would be a lot more people who would be aware to its charms if the drive up the A9 were not so daunting. Then again, not having an invasion of people from the south is quite possibly a blessing.

Bruce H
San Diego, CA

sssssshhhhhhhhssssssssshhhhhhhhh dont tell everyone or all the folks from beyond the wall will want to move up lol (wick is a secret)

Cinderella's Shoe
14-Mar-09, 17:05
I dont live there but do like it.

Cinderella's Shoe
15-Mar-09, 00:39
Bur its no bin e' same since e' Rosebank closed.....

riggerboy
15-Mar-09, 08:36
Bur its no bin e' same since e' Rosebank closed.....

totally agree with that, ahhh the rosebank tuesday thursday friday saturday somtimes on a sunday as well, pool on a monday night, wonder what i did on a wednesday, when i think about it no bliddy wonder i`m skint lol

hotrod4
15-Mar-09, 14:19
The best thing about Wick is its people,you can go anywhere in the world and you wont find friendlier people..
It is true since the Rosebank shut there hasnt been anywhere decent to spend the giro!!![lol]
Giro Discos on a Thursday,irreplacable!!!

riggerboy
15-Mar-09, 15:37
The best thing about Wick is its people,you can go anywhere in the world and you wont find friendlier people..
It is true since the Rosebank shut there hasnt been anywhere decent to spend the giro!!![lol]
Giro Discos on a Thursday,irreplacable!!!

i we have the camps and hagars lot o giros spent in the camps on a weekend, i always reckond sassa should have bought the rosebank, but o no the the other lot had to get it and low and behold it burnt to the ground, funny that coz the other place went up in smoke as well??? makes you wonder mmmmmmm flaming good weekends held in both

Fisherbigin
15-Mar-09, 15:49
Best thing aboot Wick is the road to Thursa.:);):roll:

riggerboy
15-Mar-09, 15:58
Best thing aboot Wick is the road to Thursa.:);):roll:

thats very original dont think thats be said before,

weeboyagee
15-Mar-09, 16:18
For those of us who travel here, there and everywhere, Wick and Caithness are a blessing to come home to. The fact that you have to travel a distance from Inverness to get here you feel that you are "escaping" back to sanity. When I am in London it's 100mph pace of life with no sense of being. When in any of the places to the south I have noticed that there is a fundamental difference between towns similar in size to Wick and Wick itself - Wick is comfortably out of the way!

Solitude but still civilisation.

WBG :cool:

riggerboy
15-Mar-09, 16:24
For those of us who travel here, there and everywhere, Wick and Caithness are a blessing to come home to. The fact that you have to travel a distance from Inverness to get here you feel that you are "escaping" back to sanity. When I am in London it's 100mph pace of life with no sense of being. When in any of the places to the south I have noticed that there is a fundamental difference between towns similar in size to Wick and Wick itself - Wick is comfortably out of the way!

yip dead on there boyagee, i love seeing the sign for wick, i always feel a wee bit homesick when not in wick

butterfly
15-Mar-09, 16:42
Love this thread Fran,something positive for a change!:)

ks
15-Mar-09, 16:48
i love seeing the sign for wick

I agree as long as it is in my rear view mirror!

Fisherbigin
15-Mar-09, 17:02

C,mon ks,no need for that. :lol:

butterfly
15-Mar-09, 17:04

There's alway's one:roll:

bekisman
15-Mar-09, 17:21
Being down in Lancashire for a short break, it was nice today to take our grandkids to Cuerden Vally; an old estate open to the public with gravel paths and ponds where we could feed the ducks.

Beautiful and sunny, just a few other folks around, peaceful.

That was until 6 yobs about 18-20 years of age came charging up behind us with three large out of control dogs. These yobs were yelling obscenities at each other and throwing lumps of wood at the ducks on the pond, their mutts stopped and did their bit on the path which were left.. they carried on their destructive way, and were gone. What to do? well I might think about remonstrating with a couple of yobs, but with a three year old and a 5 year old, makes it difficult.
All I know is my other half saying; "thank God we're going home next week" (44 miles from Wick)

cuddlepop
15-Mar-09, 17:25
I think know matter where you live its alwas nice to go home.
I dont particularly like living in Portree but I love my home.:D

Wick is a lovely place but its just to far to "pop" over.:(

joxville
15-Mar-09, 17:25
The people are fine, it's where you live that I find dull, dank and depressing, and to be honest Thurso isn't much better. As a whole though, Caithness is the best place I've lived. When I lived in Thurso I always found a day in Wick was a day wasted. Sorry if you don't like what I've posted but that's how I see it.

ks
15-Mar-09, 18:07
There's alway's one:roll:

You Wickers can't take a joke!

Kevin Milkins
15-Mar-09, 18:30
When we moved to Wick 3 years ago I thought we would not come to terms with the wind and rain,:eek: but either the weather has improved or we have grown into it as when ever I go south now I always look forward to coming home.:Razz

hotrod4
15-Mar-09, 19:23
Its not a bad place really,its what you make off it.It has its numpties the same as anywhere else

kmahon2001
15-Mar-09, 20:27

Wick (and Caithness in general) is peaceful and out of the way at the moment, but the more big supermarkets that come up here the more the way of life will gradually change. Local shops and businesses will be squeezed out
and we'll all end out having to buy processed food and mass produced, sub-standard products imported from the other side of the world. [disgust]