PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:05
I was recently given Amoxicillin Capsules from my doctor for an ear infection..just yesturday i started to notice my eye all blood shot and today a little sticky..someone said to me taking antibiotics for one infection triggers another to start..does anyone know anything about this?:confused:

krieve
20-Feb-06, 01:07
sorry i don't know angela

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:08
May be you have an unknown infection that the doctors don't have a cur for lol

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:12
May be you have an unknown infection that the doctors don't have a cur for lol

Oh! scary..what will i do if there is no cure and my eyes close up..i'll no be able to read or post on caithness.org:roll:

krieve
20-Feb-06, 01:13
Oh! scary..what will i do if there is no cure and my eyes close up..i'll no be able to read or post on caithness.org:roll:
hahahahahahahahah lol sorry for laughing

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:15
If it was me i would go get and some match stick just in case lol or i would go and see another doctor coz it aint looking good lol

krieve
20-Feb-06, 01:16
hahahahahahahahah lol sorry for laughing
sorry angela i am sure you will be ok

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:18
sorry angela i am sure you will be ok

Of course i will, i'm no worried i was just asking if taking antibiotics for one infection triggers another...

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:19
Let hope lol i will keep a LOOK out if i see a cur .lol

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:21
Of course i will, i'm no worried i was just asking if taking antibiotics for one infection triggers another...
May be the stickiness is too long on the forum lol i get that some time

MadPict
20-Feb-06, 01:22
You know, why not go back to your doc rather than posting this on the internet.....:eyes :eyes

Bingobabe
20-Feb-06, 01:25
in my job i work with alot prescription drugs and have had the same antibiotics on a few occassions and i dont belive it to be true that one affects the other you could be suffering from a side affect if you read the leaflet inside the packet it will state side affects that may occur or it could be but may be unlikely as side affects are unlikely and mainly caused by hypersensitivity the most common side affects could be indidestion diarrhoea sickness rash or itching in very rare cases it could affect the whites of the eye

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:26
You know, why not go back to your doc rather than posting this on the internet.....:eyes :eyes

Thanks for that Madpict :roll: ...oops! for merely asking a question..a lot worse gets asked on here....like whats going on at the harbour....whats going on in bridge street...sorry you were so bogged off by reading my question..

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:27
in my job i work with alot prescription drugs and have had the same antibiotics on a few occassions and i dont belive it to be true that one affects the other you could be suffering from a side affect if you read the leaflet inside the packet it will state side affects that may occur or it could be but may be unlikely as side affects are unlikely and mainly caused by hypersensitivity the most common side affects could be indidestion diarrhoea sickness rash or itching in very rare cases it could affect the whites of the eye

Thanks bingobabe a sensible reply....:grin:

Bingobabe
20-Feb-06, 01:29
no probs it,s something i actullay know about

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:30
Angela i think some poeple on here just want to know the gossip if they dont want to help they should reply to this no dig at any one .

melted_wellie
20-Feb-06, 01:32
You know, why not go back to your doc rather than posting this on the internet.....:eyes :eyesiv just been looking at some of the threads you started,you have a wee bit of a cheek posting this comment,dont you think????? performing arts society indeed!!!!!!

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:33
Hope it nothing serious angela sorry i could'nt help .

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:36
Angela i think some poeple on here just want to know the gossip if they dont want to help they should reply to this no dig at any one .

Everyone likes a little gossip i know...i was pointing out my question was not to pry for any info but ask for some information.. to be told not to post it on the internet which i never started a web page about!! i just posted a question on a messageboard..my intention was'nt to get anyone's back up...

Bingobabe
20-Feb-06, 01:38
it will most likely be cojunctivitious sorry not a great speller it,s just a mild eye infection when your eye gets a bit sticky and it,s like sleep that comes out of it and your eye,s blood shot it can be treated with eyedrops you can get them from the chemist you dont even need to go to the doctor

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:38
Hope it nothing serious angela sorry i could'nt help .

Certainly is'nt its just an ear infection..which i am not bothered about i only asked a question....oh! dear what did i start..:confused:

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:41
it will most likely be cojunctivitious sorry not a great speller it,s just a mild eye infection when your eye gets a bit sticky and it,s like sleep that comes out of it and your eye,s blood shot it can be treated with eyedrops you can get them from the chemist you dont even need to go to the doctor

Bingobabe thanks...i was'nt after a diagnose in my post just a simple question i thought i was posting...i feel a sore head coming on...[lol]

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:42
Certainly is'nt its just an ear infection..which i am not bothered about i only asked a question....oh! dear what did i start..:confused:
You started nothing its a straight forward question and u just wanted some help there is nothing wrong with that like i said some poeople think its just a gossip forum .

Bingobabe
20-Feb-06, 01:46
lol just thought i would mention it thought you might of been worried

willowbankbear
20-Feb-06, 11:22
Is yer eye sticky today Angela5? bingobabe you sound like a nurse, are you?:confused:

MadPict
20-Feb-06, 12:39
iv just been looking at some of the threads you started,you have a wee bit of a cheek posting this comment,dont you think????? performing arts society indeed!!!!!!

Rather than take advice from non qualified individuals (is there a doctor in the house?) Angela should be seeking advice from a properly qualified person, preferably the one who prescribed her the antibiotics for her ear infection. If she heeded the word of someone on here ("Oh never mind, it is just a bit of "sleep" in your eye - it'll clear up") and it turns out to be something serious she's going to feel a right idiot when she explains to the doc she took advice from a "Org'er".......

That was the point of my post.

And as for absolute dross, this forum is full of it. So don't point fingers at me when I try to lift the level of discussion above the inane tittle tattle which seems to be prominent at the moment.
I think it would be a good idea if the Town Council installed some old herring barrels in the square for some people to stand over and gossip.[mad]

Oh and this is a really helpful post -

Dear Mr Moderator,
Is it possible,do you think,that you could start a new section somewhere on the forum entitled "Women with a Gripe". or perhaps "A Woman Scorned".???

This way they could all get together and plot and plan their revenge on their terrible ex spouses,none of which was their fault,in their own little corner of the forum.
Wonder how many bad reps you got for that remark.......
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=59803#post59803

JAWS
20-Feb-06, 12:54
Angela5, check back with your Doctor.
One possibility is that it is an allergic reaction to that particular antibiotic.
If it is then a different one may solve the problem, it's not uncommon for that to happen.

Fran
20-Feb-06, 13:14
I was recently given Amoxicillin Capsules from my doctor for an ear infection..just yesturday i started to notice my eye all blood shot and today a little sticky..someone said to me taking antibiotics for one infection triggers another to start..does anyone know anything about this?:confused:
Have you maybe slept in a draught? your symptons sound as though you have. Amoxycillin is an antibiotic penicillen used for ear, nose and throat among other things so would not hurt your eyes. the only allergic reaction you would have is swelling of the face and throat and you would have to stop taking them and go straight to your doctor. hope this helps, dont be worried.

badger
20-Feb-06, 13:16
Everyone likes a little gossip i know...i was pointing out my question was not to pry for any info but ask for some information.. to be told not to post it on the internet which i never started a web page about!! i just posted a question on a messageboard..my intention was'nt to get anyone's back up...

Don't take any notice of this criticism angela - if they don't want to read your post they don't have to. We're all friends here and if you can't talk to your friends about your worries it's a sad world. Personally I avoid anti-biotics as much as possible because they often do have side effects but there are times when you just have to take them. Don't leave your eyes if you are worried, they are precious and you need to get proper advice.

lorraine_2406
20-Feb-06, 13:18
It sure sounds like conjuctivitis my kids get it all the time go back to doc and if it is you will get cream of sometimes eye drops and it clears up really quick but if thats what it is be careful because it is highly contagious hope all goes well for you.

cuddlepop
20-Feb-06, 13:39
Angel 5. there was nothing wrong with your post just some peoples reaction too it.The best advice i can give you is grown a hind of a rhino you need it to survive on this forum......:lol:

willowbankbear
20-Feb-06, 13:45
Rather than take advice from non qualified individuals (is there a doctor in the house?) Angela should be seeking advice from a properly qualified person, preferably the one who prescribed her the antibiotics for her ear infection. If she heeded the word of someone on here ("Oh never mind, it is just a bit of "sleep" in your eye - it'll clear up") and it turns out to be something serious she's going to feel a right idiot when she explains to the doc she took advice from a "Org'er".......

That was the point of my post.

And as for absolute dross, this forum is full of it. So don't point fingers at me when I try to lift the level of discussion above the inane tittle tattle which seems to be prominent at the moment.
I think it would be a good idea if the Town Council installed some old herring barrels in the square for some people to stand over and gossip.[mad]

Oh and this is a really helpful post -

Wonder how many bad reps you got for that remark.......
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=59803#post59803

Well said Mad Pict ye nade me laugh, but remember this board is for the whole community not just the intellectuals, so be a wee bit more tolerant eh? Theres a few threads I dont even bother looking at as i find the title & caption uninteresting , youll know what i mean though

angela5
20-Feb-06, 14:12
Well said Mad Pict ye nade me laugh, but remember this board is for the whole community not just the intellectuals, so be a wee bit more tolerant eh? Theres a few threads I dont even bother looking at as i find the title & caption uninteresting , youll know what i mean though

I did not notice when i registered there was category's for intelligence :confused: ..
yes this messageboard if for all walks of life..your post sounds to me willowbankbear like there are dim people using this forum..care to mention the ones whom you think are not in the intellectual category???? i wonder who madpict should be more tolerant on? and which caregory do you fit in?

MadPict
20-Feb-06, 14:16
Thanks for that Madpict :roll: ...oops! for merely asking a question..a lot worse gets asked on here....like whats going on at the harbour....whats going on in bridge street...sorry you were so bogged off by reading my question..

Angela,
If I came across in my reply as a bit curt I apologise, but I feel that medical issues are best dealt with by professionals (I am still waiting for the doctor in the forums to raise their hand...)

Yes, a lot worse does get asked on here - I can't argue with that....:eyes

@bingobabe,

If it is bacterial conjunctivitis it can only be treated with antibiotic eye drops or ointment, which can only be obtained with a prescription from your doctor.

Allergic conjunctivitis or viral conjunctivitis does not need specific medical treatment and will clear up on its own in two to three weeks, or after a course of drops/ointment obtainable from a pharmacist.

So what are your medical qualifications?
Bearing in mind Anglea has had treatment for bacterial infection of the ear (she was prescribed "Amoxicillin Capsules", which is a anti-bacterial drug) your diagnosis could be completely wrong.

Hopefully she will ask the pharmacist and get the correct advice - go back to her doctor....

angela5
20-Feb-06, 14:27
Angela,
If I came across in my reply as a bit curt I apologise, but I feel that medical issues are best dealt with by professionals (I am still waiting for the doctor in the forums to raise their hand...)

Yes, a lot worse does get asked on here - I can't argue with that....:eyes

@bingobabe,

If it is bacterial conjunctivitis it can only be treated with antibiotic eye drops or ointment, which can only be obtained with a prescription from your doctor.

Allergic conjunctivitis or viral conjunctivitis does not need specific medical treatment and will clear up on its own in two to three weeks, or after a course of drops/ointment obtainable from a pharmacist.

So what are your medical qualifications?
Bearing in mind Anglea has had treatment for bacterial infection of the ear (she was prescribed "Amoxicillin Capsules", which is a anti-bacterial drug) your diagnosis could be completely wrong.

Hopefully she will ask the pharmacist and get the correct advice - go back to her doctor....

Madpict thank you..my intention was not to get anyones back up and i was'nt expecting "a doctor in the house":o) . My post was'nt even to ask for a diagnose just merely if antibiotics triggered another infection..possibly someone else may of experienced the same thing.
I am feeling a little dilapidated today[lol]

MadPict
20-Feb-06, 14:37
Well I hope you recover quickly - ear infections are not nice. I have suffered from Labyrinthitis in the past and wouldn't wish it on anyone....

willowbankbear
20-Feb-06, 14:57
I did not notice when i registered there was category's for intelligence :confused: ..
yes this messageboard if for all walks of life..your post sounds to me willowbankbear like there are dim people using this forum..care to mention the ones whom you think are not in the intellectual category???? i wonder who madpict should be more tolerant on? and which caregory do you fit in?

His 2nd paragraph was what i was on about angela5 & the bit about herring barrels.
Thats up to you to decide who is dim or who is not,Thats generally the way of the world as it takes all kinds to make 1 doesnt it. Im not judging you or any1,so why you on your high horse with me?????

angela5
20-Feb-06, 15:00
His 2nd paragraph was what i was on about angela5 & the bit about herring barrels.
Thats up to you to decide who is dim or who is not,Thats generally the way of the world as it takes all kinds to make 1 doesnt it. Im not judging you or any1,so why you on your high horse with me?????

I don't judge people we are all the same..i was'nt on my high horse today[lol]

paris
20-Feb-06, 15:01
Angela, definitely sounds like conjunctivitis to me... bathe your eye with lukewarm salty water, and yes taking antibiotics can give second infections usually thrush, which you need to put live yogurt on and both should clear in no time. Just asked my neighbour..shes a sister in E.N.T in my local hospital and she said im right.

willowbankbear
20-Feb-06, 15:03
I don't judge people we are all the same..i was'nt on my high horse today[lol]

Oh well i thought ye were., fair enough then. Thats fine by me

connieb19
20-Feb-06, 19:57
Jeepers Angela, I bet you never thought your question would cause such a stir...lol:eyes i hope your eye gets better soon..:)

melted_wellie
20-Feb-06, 21:50
Well said Mad Pict ye nade me laugh, but remember this board is for the whole community not just the intellectuals, so be a wee bit more tolerant eh? Theres a few threads I dont even bother looking at as i find the title & caption uninteresting , youll know what i mean thoughthat is so true willowbankbear...................your threads are so inteligent arent they??? they usually go something like this...." does anyone know what the score was today"?....Dont you have teletext in your house?

wickerinca
20-Feb-06, 22:09
Hi Angela

I get that 'sticky eye' thing sometimes as well and it tends to be if I get a bit rundown. Unfortunately it often precedes a cold sore....thank goodness for Zovirex!!

Washing with the salt water to relieve the discomfort, visit to the doctor for reassurance, plenty of rest and fluids and pampering!!! Hope that you feel better soon!:grin:

Bingobabe
20-Feb-06, 22:15
yes willowbank bear and madpadk or whatever your name is i personnally was ONLY GIVENING A BIT OF HELPFULL ADVICE was not really interested in what you two had to say about my post as you think most people on here are dim and couldnt possibly actullay know anything of any use if this is the case what are the two of you doing on caithness.org as you to are far more intellegent to be on it as you think. sarcasim is a wonderfull thing and also i am sorry for my poor grammar as this may offend you intelectuals

MadPict
20-Feb-06, 23:33
yes willowbank bear and madpadk or whatever your name is i personnally was ONLY GIVENING A BIT OF HELPFULL ADVICE was not really interested in what you two had to say about my post as you think most people on here are dim and couldnt possibly actullay know anything of any use if this is the case what are the two of you doing on caithness.org as you to are far more intellegent to be on it as you think. sarcasim is a wonderfull thing and also i am sorry for my poor grammar as this may offend you intelectuals

Show me where I called you, or anyone else, dim or stupid?
I merely asked you what your medical qualifications were. You stated - "...it can be treated with eyedrops you can get them from the chemist you dont even need to go to the doctor" - I merely pointed out the error of that statement bearing in mind she was taking Amoxicillin for a bacterial ear infection - and that she should see her doctor.

And why do I visit this site? Maybe because I have been a member since 2001.....How long you been here?:roll:

Bingobabe
20-Feb-06, 23:42
you seem to have an awful chip on youre shoulder maybe you should take your own advise an visit a doctor and ask him for some prozac to lighten you up [lol]

MadPict
21-Feb-06, 00:00
Having just checked I can assure you that there are no chips on either shoulder.

And why would I need Prozac? I am far from depressed - or is this another of your internet diagnosis?.......

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Feb-06, 00:07
Having just checked I can assure you that there are no chips on either shoulder.

And why would I need Prozac? I am far from depressed - or is this another of your internet diagnosis?.......

Quite right MadPict its not chips on your shoulder.Its's bones......look you can see them under you stormtrooper helmet.

Angela5,hope your eye is better and I did think that Bingobabe was only giving you a fellow orgers advice.Not doctors advice,but just a fellow orgers.:o)

Bingobabe
21-Feb-06, 00:33
oh your,e very funny madpak if thats the right name and any way were did i say i was a doctor i dont do diganoses just suggestions as you only have sarcasim to give

angela5
21-Feb-06, 00:46
Thanks everyone for your replys:grin:

Bingobabe thank you for your reply's.

I do apologise for my question i never thought it would turn like this..i jumped the gun earlier and i admit get a wee bit upset by Madpicts reply..i have since sorted it, i did'nt post my question to upset and fallout with anyone..

Maybe the thread should be closed now or taken off the board.

Moira
21-Feb-06, 01:01
Thanks everyone for your replys:grin:

Bingobabe thank you for your reply's.

I do apologise for my question i never thought it would turn like this..i jumped the gun earlier and i admit get a wee bit upset by Madpicts reply..i have since sorted it, i did'nt post my question to upset and fallout with anyone..

Maybe the thread should be closed now or taken off the board.

Angela

Your question was a reasonable one, so there's no need to apologise for putting it up there. Because you started the thread, it should be possible for you to close or delete it by going into "Forum Tools" at the top of the thread and clicking on one of the options there.

BTW I hope your med probs clear up soon :grin:

willowbankbear
21-Feb-06, 02:21
that is so true willowbankbear...................your threads are so inteligent arent they??? they usually go something like this...." does anyone know what the score was today"?....Dont you have teletext in your house?

No , Im So Sorry wellie that i dont have teletext, Wick Academy fc are not on Teletext till 7pm. My Tv is not tuned to receive the normal 4-5 channels .I recieve sky, on a Saturday ,And Sky Sports News doesnt cover the highland league.

Now saying this is the community website & Academy are the local team in the community, there will be a good chance of somebody knowing their result. It may seem strange to you but a lot of people do ask or take an interest in what Academy`s score is every week.

That is why I post this thread, not coz im dim , just because Im interested in my local teams score, Whats the problem with that I ask??????????[mad] [mad]

_Ju_
21-Feb-06, 20:45
Hi Angela,

What might have happened is that antibiotics, especially a large spectrum antibiotic, does not discriminate what bacteria it kills. So if you had a dorment viral or fungal infection, and you remove the micro-organisms that compete with them, you allow the dormant infection to grow unchecked. It's a bit like having a cat to catch mice....if the cat leaves the mice take over.

willowbankbear
22-Feb-06, 03:28
Erm is yer eye better? Erm did ye try the er Doctor? He usually is the best option but ye knew that really, thats the only medical advice I can give ye right now for legal reasons of course!! [smirk]

willowbankbear
22-Feb-06, 03:33
[quote=Bingobabe]yes willowbank bear and madpadk or whatever your name is i personnally was ONLY GIVENING A BIT OF HELPFULL ADVICE was not really interested in what you two had to say about my post as you think most people on here are dim and couldnt possibly actullay know anything of any use .

Bingobabe Lighten up will ye woman,but are ye a nurse? honestly? ye sound like a nice caring girl, Are ye?

angela5
22-Feb-06, 08:21
Erm is yer eye better? Erm did ye try the er Doctor? He usually is the best option but ye knew that really, thats the only medical advice I can give ye right now for legal reasons of course!! [smirk]

Willowbankbear Erm my is eye is lot's better this morning..and Erm i never visited the doctor again, i went to see the nice chap in the chemist,
i really was'nt asking for an option..or medical advice on what was wrong with my eye..:eyes but hey thanks for asking..

JU..many thanks for your reply..:o)

willowbankbear
22-Feb-06, 10:32
Willowbankbear Erm my is eye is lot's better this morning..and Erm i never visited the doctor again, i went to see the nice chap in the chemist,
i really was'nt asking for an option..or medical advice on what was wrong with my eye..:eyes but hey thanks for asking..

JU..many thanks for your reply..:o)

Glad to hear yer ok, least yer not getting on my case today,every1 else seems to want to. Broad shoulders & a Brass neck comin up:Razz