PDA

View Full Version : the big red postbox

im behind you
13-Mar-09, 18:23
i noticed that the post office/royal mail has got a new post box but the thing is you have to cross a busy street to get there which if you agree is going to be a bit of pain for the oap as they will have to cross at the traffic lights walk up the the post office get there stamp walk back down to the traffic lights cross the road walk up to the box post there letters then walk back down to the street again bit of a trek there i would say. but if storys are true that ronnie is goinng to be bying the bus shelter to turn that into a p.o then things might not be that bad

Venture
13-Mar-09, 18:54
Which post box are you on about?

changilass
13-Mar-09, 18:56
Have read op 3 times and it still don't make any sense to me, please can you explain further.

Julia
13-Mar-09, 19:06
Do you mean the new post box is now opposite the main post office here in wick, beside the bus shelter?

im behind you
13-Mar-09, 19:08
the big red post box across the rd from the post office in wick be side the bus shelter you have to cross the high street to post your letters because they have now shut the local and south boxes beside the postoffice

im behind you
13-Mar-09, 19:09
thank you julia

Kenn
13-Mar-09, 20:41
Why would you need to cross the road?
Having purchased your stamps and attached them to the letters, hand them over the post office counter or does Wick not do that?

im behind you
13-Mar-09, 21:48
Having purchased your stamps and attached them to the letters, hand them over the post office counter or does Wick not do that?

sorry never thought on that.

Venture
13-Mar-09, 22:13
I think it has probably been shifted due to the problems posties have with parking when they have to empty the box. There are always cars parked at the PO and there is also the bus stop which sometimes causes the PO vans to be double parked. As Lizz said you can post your letters within the PO. With it on the other side of the road it will make it easier to park and post when the PO is shut.

Aaldtimer
14-Mar-09, 03:37

...Says it all really![disgust]

Rourkee
14-Mar-09, 10:42

Magic, pure class!

im behind you
14-Mar-09, 14:33
...Says it all really![disgust]

get a grip eh!

carasmam
14-Mar-09, 16:38
I think it has probably been shifted due to the problems posties have with parking when they have to empty the box. There are always cars parked at the PO and there is also the bus stop which sometimes causes the PO vans to be double parked. As Lizz said you can post your letters within the PO. With it on the other side of the road it will make it easier to park and post when the PO is shut.

The post office still has to be emptied though :confused

badger
14-Mar-09, 20:25
I was caught out by this the other day. Came out of the PO, found the letterboxes sealed, went back in, asked where to post letters (poor woman must be so fed up with this question) and was told across the road. Is there a letterbox in the PO? It is very inconvenient, not to say dangerous for some, having to cross over when you have just bought stamps.

Given the seriously cash strapped state of Royal Mail, why not paint double yellow lines outside the PO and let the traffic warden issue a few tickets? Drivers would soon get the message and, as carasmam says, the posties presumably have to collect from the PO anyway. Do they now have to collect from both sides of the road?

purplelady
15-Mar-09, 00:49
Was talking to Ronnie today and he is mad about it he knew nothing about it going there he said to tell you all to complain to royal mail he has but to no avail it needs public complaints think it needs as all to get together like he says it is dangerous over there, what if a kidie or anyone nips across to post a letter and gets knocked over, ok have a crossing up the road but who is going to use it . Anyway just passing this on .

Anne x
15-Mar-09, 01:00
My local Post office depends on there mood or who I get behind the counter as to whether they will take my mail after purchasing stamps my big red posting box is 3 mins away but down a very slippy in winter months path which for me is not Ideal
I have actually seen me take me home Mail all stamped rather than say can you just hold on to this and put it in the sack behind you must be a hormonal thing as certainly not pmt as I think they are all past that
Post Office Counter Staff mmmmm in my area

butterfly
15-Mar-09, 01:05
get a grip eh!

Yes,around your neck preferably!;)

badger
15-Mar-09, 09:54

Depends how busy the PO is. If you've got a number of letters to post you can't really keep a long queue waiting while you stamp them all. If you take them to one of the little side counters to stamp, then you've lost your place in the queue and it's difficult to butt in.

It's a crazy move and we all need to complain but who listens these days? Common sense flew out of the window long ago in top management of the country and large organisations. So busy thinking of new "inishitives" they're on to the next one before they realise the last one didn't work.

Where do the posties park when collecting parcels etc.? If round the back somewhere, why couldn't they have made an opening for the letterboxes on the inside and empty from there? Or is that too easy?

purplelady
15-Mar-09, 14:34
It is stupid but like Ronnie says unless allhis customers complain nothing will be done they will not listen to him they never even consulted him before they did it he just opened one morning and there it was x

Blue Highlander
16-Mar-09, 14:52
Why not use the boxes in Green Rd or in the Precinct beside the CAB office if the new one across the road in High St is too inconvenient ?

Iv'e seen people drive right up to the one in Green Road without even getting out of their car & pop their letters in, maybe what we need is a drive through post office to save people getting out of their cars to post anything.

If your going to Ronnie's to buy a stamp for a letter I'm quite sure Ronnie would be more than happy to take the letter from you.

If your going to High St just to post a letter would it not be more sense in using the other town posting boxes rather than standing in a queue just to post a letter ?

There are plenty of posting boxes around the town including ones inside Tesco & the Co-op which would save you having to walk up High St, I think they also sell stamps.

Fran
17-Mar-09, 03:50
I think it is a stupid place to put a post box, right at a bus stop. Also very tempting for kids always hanging about there at night to put a match in it, so i wont use it.
The post van parks at the post office to collect the bags of parcels anyway. Is he going to make a u turn in his van to get to the new box, could cause an accident.
Whose decision was it anyway, and were they drunk at the time. I for one will complain.