PDA

View Full Version : Drivers with no patience

watman
19-Feb-06, 17:50
I just had my wife out in Thurso learning to drive when she stalled at the traffic lights and the car behind revved the engine and started tooting the horn. What is it with some people in both Wick and Thurso they must remember that they were once learner drivers themselves and should have more patience.
Nobody in Wick seems able to work the roundabout and people seem to just barge out with no thought as to has the right of way. As for certain Taxi Drivers they think they own the road!

Saveman
19-Feb-06, 17:54
Road rage has certainly increased with the volume of traffic. It's such a shame.
People should just take a deep breath and remember there's more important things going on in the world to be concerned about than being held up for couple of minutes.

landmarker
19-Feb-06, 18:02
Road rage has certainly increased with the volume of traffic. It's such a shame.
People should just take a deep breath and remember there's more important things going on in the world to be concerned about than being held up for couple of minutes.

I tried to good rep you for this post but the system would not allow me. I was unaware I have done it before. You must speak common sense on a regular basis.

Yesterday, less than half a mile from my home I was on a non-essential journey approaching a bad right hand bend. Suddenly, from the opposite direction hurtled a Fiat Punto, full of young (men I think) doing about 50mph. How the hell it held the road I don't know. If it had not held the road there was only one thing it was going to hit - ME! In the (still auld, but a bit newer than the last one) Audi. I reckoned I might have survived the impact, but I would not have been working tomorrow....or the next day. Audi's are heavy and solid cars, one or two of those Punto pillocks - especially the driver might have been pushing up daisies within weeks, especially given the time of year.

I publicly endorse and applaud your sentiments

(I should add I've driven close to two million miles on Britain's roads and should not be surprised if I died on 'em, but surely not at the hands of a Fiat Punto , much less one driven by a numpty.)

ice box
19-Feb-06, 18:08
I tried to good rep you for this post but the system would not allow me. I was unaware I have done it before. You must speak common sense on a regular basis.

Yesterday, less than half a mile from my home I was on a non-essential journey approaching a bad right hand bend. Suddenly, from the opposite direction hurtled a Fiat Punto, full of young (men I think) doing about 50mph. How the hell it held the road I don't know. If it had not held the road there was only one thing it was going to hit - ME! In the (still auld, but a bit newer than the last one) Audi. I reckoned I might have survived the impact, but I would not have been working tomorrow....or the next day. Audi's are heavy and solid cars, one or two of those Punto pillocks - especially the driver might have been pushing up daisies within weeks, especially given the time of year.

I publicly endorse and applaud your sentiments

(I should add I've driven close to two million miles on Britain's roads and should not be surprised if I died on 'em, but surely not at the hands of a Fiat Punto , much less one driven by a numpty.)
Sound like a bunch of nutter with no consideration for other road user .

JAWS
19-Feb-06, 18:19
I just had my wife out in Thurso learning to drive when she stalled at the traffic lights and the car behind revved the engine and started tooting the horn. What is it with some people in both Wick and Thurso they must remember that they were once learner drivers themselves and should have more patience.
Nobody in Wick seems able to work the roundabout and people seem to just barge out with no thought as to has the right of way. As for certain Taxi Drivers they think they own the road!
I love "horn tooters" who do that. I usually get out and examine the rear of my car carefully and then shrug and ask if the have seen something wrong with it that I have missed.
You ask in a very polite and concerned manner with absolutely no sign of annoyance.
Hopefully, by the time you get back in your car the lights are back on red.
Those behind will assume that "tooter" has bumped the back of your car and you are being very forgiving about it.

knightofeth
19-Feb-06, 18:24
I love "horn tooters" who do that. I usually get out and examine the rear of my car carefully and then shrug and ask if the have seen something wrong with it that I have missed.
You ask in a very polite and concerned manner with absolutely no sign of annoyance.
Those behind will assume that "tooter" has bumped the back of your car and you are being very forgiving about it.

Lol. Thats a good way to deal with it :P

Saveman
19-Feb-06, 18:44

LOL - Great idea!
Though on the continent if you stopped everytime someone beeped at you you'd never get to your destination!

melted_wellie
19-Feb-06, 20:29
Nobody in Wick seems able to work the roundabout and people seem to just barge out with no thought as to has the right of way. As for certain Taxi Drivers they think they own the road!learner drivers should be up to a semi-competent standard before being let out onto the highways and by-ways,maybe you should still be practising with your wife in the industrial estate.

Saveman
19-Feb-06, 20:36
learner drivers should be up to a semi-competent standard before being let out onto the highways and by-ways,maybe you should still be practising with your wife in the industrial estate.

I would tend to disagree. In my book stalling a car isn't a sign of incompetency. It's a mistake that’s soon corrected. Yes might be embarrassing, a bit inconvenient but is it really worth beeping your horn at? What's that going to do? Speed up the person starting the car and carrying on? Its more likely to panic them and slow things down even more!
A bit of patience and understanding would make for a more confident learner.

jings00
19-Feb-06, 20:47
just say it, me and my sister were walking down past Thurso High School last Monday when these young kiddies in a car with skunk stripes started shouting "get off the road" but not nearly as politely, to a chap on a scooter with L plates. Darn cheek we thought. But not as politely.

landmarker
19-Feb-06, 20:47
I would tend to disagree. In my book stalling a car isn't a sign of incompetency. It's a mistake that’s soon corrected. Yes might be embarrassing, a bit inconvenient but is it really worth beeping your horn at? What's that going to do? Speed up the person starting the car and carrying on? Its more likely to panic them and slow things down even more!
A bit of patience and understanding would make for a more confident learner.

I've been driving for thirty seven years - a lot. Probably done more miles in reverse than some boy racers have going forward. I have stalled a car twice in the last six months. My fault. Nobody gave me the horn else they'd have had the finger, or both of 'em. People who are very impatient with learners have short memories and no class. Live and let learn....no-body owns the road.

The person who never made a mistake never did anything.

mareng
19-Feb-06, 20:55
Oh dear - I can see this thread heading the same way that Saxovtr's thread went:

We all learned to drive at some time, and the majority of us sit patiently behind the learner who stalls, remembering that we did the same, at least once. It's okay to sit in your car and mumble, but exacerbating the situation by honking your horn is not big and not clever.

JAWS
19-Feb-06, 21:42
learner drivers should be up to a semi-competent standard before being let out onto the highways and by-ways,maybe you should still be practising with your wife in the industrial estate.
Hands up all those perfect drivers who have never, ever, stalled a car at least once since passing their Driving Test.
And for those who have put their hands up, I exclude those still walking back to their car after having just "Passed".

I have been driven by people who have the qualifications to train Advance Driving Instructors and even they will admit that they to are quite capable of stalling a car.

Fluff
19-Feb-06, 22:30
i hate impatient drivers as a pedestrian too. soo many times i have come too a crossing, hit the button -lights go red, then a car (usally a taxi or 4x4) goes whizzing past. twice now i have been very close to getting knocked over going to cross when the light is red. there is no excuse!

SJR
19-Feb-06, 22:35
You should know that taxies own the road and they can do as they wish!

stekar
19-Feb-06, 22:42
Since moving up here six months ago, we find it a pleasure to drive around the county.

You always get some people who are impatient, but compared to what we are used to it's nothing though there always seems to be some one who wants to go faster than us even when we are up to the speed limit.

We do find the roundabout in Bridge Street amusing. The amount of drivers who just sit there waiting and don't read the road properly. Maybe because there aren't many roundabouts in Caithness, lol?

Btw, been driving for over 20 years and occassionally stall the car. Feel a bit silly at the time, but hey that's life!

Samuri
19-Feb-06, 22:49
Since moving up here six months ago, we find it a pleasure to drive around the county.

You always get some people who are impatient, but compared to what we are used to it's nothing though there always seems to be some one who wants to go faster than us even when we are up to the speed limit.

We do find the roundabout in Bridge Street amusing. The amount of drivers who just sit there waiting and don't read the road properly. Maybe because there aren't many roundabouts in Caithness, lol?

Btw, been driving for over 20 years and occassionally stall the car. Feel a bit silly at the time, but hey that's life!

You could be right there stekar, people in Caithness are not accustomed to roundabouts. You should see us when we go outwith the County! We should have a sticker up saying IM FROM CAITHNESS........ BEAR WITH ME. :grin:

angela5
19-Feb-06, 22:52
Whats annoying too is drivers who sit right up the back of your car (mainly taxi drivers) more or less telling you to hurry up and speed up..they seem to forget its 30mph in the town.[mad]

connieb19
19-Feb-06, 23:01
Whats annoying too is drivers who sit right up the back of your car (mainly taxi drivers) more or less telling you to hurry up and speed up..they seem to forget its 30mph in the town.[mad]Don't forget though that these taxi drivers are driving round all day having to put up with all tha other bad drivers. it must be very frustrating...I wouldn't like to do their job!!:roll:

Stargazer
19-Feb-06, 23:03
'cos the roads here are quieter than the rest of the country the The highway Code is different in Caithness.

No need to use indicators because following cars will not only know everything about you but also know where you are going.

Dont look left when turning right and dont look right when turning left, this saves time.

Double yellow lines mean you have to mount the pavement when parking.

At roundabouts wait until everybody else makes up their minds.

Thurso and Wick highstreets are closed for race events on Saturday afternoons and evenings.

Oncoming traffic has right of way, especially if there is an obstruction on their side.

Complain constantly about the 7p a litre difference in petrol costs between the north and Inverness.

Are there any other special rules I havent thought of?

angela5
19-Feb-06, 23:05
Don't forget though that these taxi drivers are driving round all day having to put up with all tha other bad drivers. it must be very frustrating...I wouldn't like to do their job!!:roll:

That job they do can be a nightmare connie but there really is'nt any need to sit so close behind me, one day i'm going to slam my brakes on...:D

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:05
Thats just like the boy racers who chase fire engine .

connieb19
19-Feb-06, 23:06
That job they do can be a nightmare connie but there really is'nt any need to sit so close behind me, one day i'm going to slam my brakes on...:DYou're quite right there...thats wahat I do, they soon back off then..lol;)

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:06
That job they do can be a nightmare connie but there really is'nt any need to sit so close behind me, one day i'm going to slam my brakes on...:D
You go for it girl that will teach them not to sit that close again .

angela5
19-Feb-06, 23:07

What is it with folk as soon as they see a fire engine they go chasing after it.

krieve
19-Feb-06, 23:07
why do people do that what is the point in that apart from being nosey.

connieb19
19-Feb-06, 23:08
What is it with folk as soon as they see a fire engine they go chasing after it.or a police car with the flashers going...what are these people hoping to see? Sick, if you ask me?:confused: [mad]

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:09
Better than that when at a junction and they come that close stick the car in reverse they will think twice next time.

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:10
What is it with folk as soon as they see a fire engine they go chasing after it.
Don't know must be some sort of boy or girl thing .

krieve
19-Feb-06, 23:12
connie , icebox i could swear i saw the two of you's in your cars chasing the fire engine a couple of weeks ago maybe it was'nt you lol

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:14
connie , icebox i could swear i saw the two of you's in your cars chasing the fire engine a couple of weeks ago maybe it was'nt you lol
So that was you krieve that was in front of me swerving all over the road lol

angela5
19-Feb-06, 23:14
Better than that when at a junction and they come that close stick the car in reverse they will think twice next time.

oh no icebox that would be my fault entirely.. i'd much rather slam my brakes on..i could say a wee bunny ran in front of me...[lol]

krieve
19-Feb-06, 23:15
So that was you krieve that was in front of me swerving all over the road lol
no you must be thinking of someone else icebox i cant drive .

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:16
oh no icebox that would be my fault entirely.. i'd much rather slam my brakes on..i could say a wee bunny ran in front of me...[lol]
What in the middle of brigde street lol

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:17
no you must be thinking of someone else icebox i cant drive .
That good the road will be a lot safer without you lol

krieve
19-Feb-06, 23:24
That good the road will be a lot safer without you lol
You cheeky monkey lol but i will forgive you lol

angela5
19-Feb-06, 23:26
What in the middle of brigde street lol

For sure..there is a lot of goings on in the town at the moment even a bunny crossing the road:D

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:29
You cheeky monkey lol but i will forgive you lol
Sorry for that comment krieve you will be a good driver for when you go for your test . Thats if you go for it thats is .

krieve
19-Feb-06, 23:30
For sure..there is a lot of goings on in the town at the moment even a bunny crossing the road:D
no thats my rabbit................. oh just check boris is still in his hutch lol

Bobinovich
19-Feb-06, 23:32
What is it with people speed up when you try to overtake them:confused:. The other day I was on a 60mph road and made to pass a driver travelling at approx. 45mph. I indicated and started to past him but he just put his foot down and kept up with me [evil]! Then I noticed a police car with flashers on coming up fast from the rear, so had to drop a gear and put my foot down to pass the guy - if the police hadn't been in a hurry I'm sure they'd have pulled me over 'cos I ended up having to do 75mph to get past him.

krieve
19-Feb-06, 23:32
Sorry for that comment krieve you will be a good driver for when you go for your test . Thats if you go for it thats is .
It is ok icebox maybe one day but for now you lot are all safe lol

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:34
It is ok icebox maybe one day but for now you lot are all safe lol
lol......lol...

Bingobabe
19-Feb-06, 23:42
Don't forget though that these taxi drivers are driving round all day having to put up with all tha other bad drivers. it must be very frustrating...I wouldn't like to do their job!!:roll:
yes & having a drunk slavering in yer ear for pittance wages , being told what to wear by the council(whom they dont work for or get paid by) then havin a joke mcconnell storm trooper jump oot behind a bush with a speed gun & nab ye, while all the while yer gettin more annoyed with the drunk getting narky cos yer not going fast enough!
Aye its a nightmare job that okay, they do have a point[mad]

connieb19
19-Feb-06, 23:49
For sure..there is a lot of goings on in the town at the moment even a bunny crossing the road:DThere's always bunnys crossing the road round by Station Road!!!:roll: :Razz

ice box
19-Feb-06, 23:52
There's always bunnys crossing the road round by Station Road!!!:roll: :Razz
Ahh i thought that was Guinea pigs lol

Moira
19-Feb-06, 23:55
Ahh i thought that was Guinea pigs lol

Nah - they were deported last week - did ye no hear aboot e' raid on a Station Rod??

krieve
19-Feb-06, 23:58
Nah - they were deported last week - did ye no hear aboot e' raid on a Station Rod??
lmao moira

ice box
20-Feb-06, 00:01
So thats what all that commotion last week lol

connieb19
20-Feb-06, 00:03
Nah - they were deported last week - did ye no hear aboot e' raid on a Station Rod??is that why there was 36 needing rehomed by balmore?[para]

ice box
20-Feb-06, 00:07
is that why there was 36 needing rehomed by balmore?[para]
They will have there hands full there lol

angela5
20-Feb-06, 00:10
is that why there was 36 needing rehomed by balmore?[para]

36 of them surely not all from the one home..:confused:

ice box
20-Feb-06, 00:49
36 of them surely not all from the one home..:confused:
Maybe that lady from lyth would be tanken them her that had the donkey beside the burny

angela5
20-Feb-06, 00:52
Maybe that lady from lyth would be tanken them her that had the donkey beside the burny

She has enough animals..[para]

ice box
20-Feb-06, 00:53
I think she has room in the bath lol

angela5
20-Feb-06, 00:55
I think she has room in the bath lol

Poor guinea pigs you are no wanting to send them there..[para]

ice box
20-Feb-06, 00:57
Poor guinea pigs you are no wanting to send them there..[para]
No but i heard she is a guinea pig collector lol

krieve
20-Feb-06, 00:57
what guinea pigs in the bath eh:confused:

angela5
20-Feb-06, 00:58

Well it's not her that goes in the bath....[lol]

ice box
20-Feb-06, 00:59
Yes thats what i heard she keeps them in the bath coz no room else were .

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:00
Well it's not her that goes in the bath....[lol]
Your right there but saying that she could do with one lol

krieve
20-Feb-06, 01:02
who puts them in the bath

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:09

A lady who lives on her own animal farm..:roll:

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:10
If you lived in the pultney side you would keen her

krieve
20-Feb-06, 01:11
i do live on the pultney side eh?????

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:17
i do live on the pultney side eh?????
She moved out of there a bout few years ago you will keen her she had the donkey up at the burny

krieve
20-Feb-06, 01:20
O her yes i remember her [lol]

angela5
20-Feb-06, 01:22
yes & having a drunk slavering in yer ear for pittance wages , being told what to wear by the council(whom they dont work for or get paid by) then havin a joke mcconnell storm trooper jump oot behind a bush with a speed gun & nab ye, while all the while yer gettin more annoyed with the drunk getting narky cos yer not going fast enough!
Aye its a nightmare job that okay, they do have a point[mad]

Some of us are in nightmare jobs too and told what to do and wear..but that does'nt trigger the right for road rage[mad]

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:24
Taxi driver are just the same as boy racer they thing they own the road they have no consideration for other road users .

Fran
20-Feb-06, 13:29
I agree with all you say...i think if i was with a learner driver and the car behind started tooting etc , i would have got out and asked him " and what else did you get for christmas?". Seriously though, i notice a big change in caithness drivers, they are much worse. come too close behind, force you to go faster, cut in front of you, dont know to give to the right at the roundabouts, and one dangerous practice is the way they do a turn in the road opposite the old Parish church. also overtaking dangerously with a car coming towards you etc etc. i could go on. i think a lot of drivers could do with reading the highway code book, .....and do taxi drivers have to sit a driving test to get their taxi licence?!!!!!!!

Fran
20-Feb-06, 13:32
she has moved to thurso

willowbankbear
20-Feb-06, 13:53
I, .....and do taxi drivers have to sit a driving test to get their taxi licence?!!!!!!!

No , they have to pass a general knowledge test which takes 45mins, But they do have to be over 25 & be passed their test 3 years.

IceBox & Angela5 have you ever driven a taxi, I havent but a good mate of mine does & he says it`s the most stressful of jobs putting up with argumentive drunks who should ken better,thats why there is such a turnover in drivers.

angela5
20-Feb-06, 14:04
IceBox & Angela5 have you ever driven a taxi, I havent but a good mate of mine does & he says it`s the most stressful of jobs putting up with argumentive drunks who should ken better,thats why there is such a turnover in drivers.

And i totally agree willowbankbear that taxi drivers can have a stressfull job..do you then think because they have just dropped a drunk off who they have had to listen to for about 5 minutes that it is okay to drive right up the back of someones car looking really irritated that you are doing 30mph..:confused:

Fran
20-Feb-06, 14:06
And i totally agree willowbankbear that taxi drivers can have a stressfull job..do you then think because they have just dropped a drunk off who they have had to listen to for about 5 minutes that it is okay to drive right up the back of someones car looking really irritated that you are doing 30mph..:confused:

willlowbankbear, most of us have stressful jobs but it doesnt mean we are then bad drivers.

willowbankbear
20-Feb-06, 14:08

Probably not , but id love to know which ones your referring to[lol] [lol] [lol]

stekar
20-Feb-06, 22:29
A friend down south once had a car following so close he couldn't even see the headlights.

When he got to some red traffic lights and stopped he got out of his car and opened the boot.

Then he went to the car behind, where a worried looking bloke had locked himself in, and said "If you really want to see what's in my boot, there you go"

When the lights turned green he was no longer hanging on to the back bumper, lol!

dozerboy
23-Feb-06, 07:28
It is very bad if people can't give learners the space and patience they need and deserve. Driving instructors today are trying to teach potential drivers to drive safely for life, and to drive defensively. This does not include peeping the horn when someone stalls. My guess as to why there are problems at the one and only roundabout in Caithness, is just that! One mini roundabout!! These people who stop at it and wait for someone else to go first. Remember it is giveway to traffic from the right, if nothing is coming, keep going. Try to be patient folks, give them a chance, and you were a L too once and I know you all have stalled!!