PDA

View Full Version : Kitten issues ...

laurzee89
12-Mar-09, 11:01
we have had our kitten for 6 weeks now, we rescued her from Balmore after she and 2 siblings had been abandoned at Dounraey! (she is 6months old on 15th march) and at first she was sooo well behaved, she was very playful, and quiet at night!!! but the past couple of weeks she miaows constantly when we are at home and we cannot sleep - we give her lots of attention, she sits in the living room with us and spreads herself out on the rug like the queen of sheba. she has always been great with her litter tray but this morning she decided to use our bedroom as a toilet, when her litter tray was just outside our bedroom door and she has stopped eating properly too, she wont eat her wet food for a few days and then all of a sudden its all disapeared - its not that she doesnt like the food because it is the same food she has always eaten! she doesnt go outside yet, she hasnt been "done" and we live on a new estate and there is stil building work going on so im reluctant to let her out ... maybe she wants to go out and that is what the problem is? or maybe she is lonely but we dont have room for another cat - she takes up the whole spare room as it is! any ideas ... please?

teenybash
12-Mar-09, 12:08
It could be hormonal...............she will be coming up or having her first season so, def don't let her out............:eek:
They can be a bit confused during this time.........probably having her speyed will settle her down again once her season is over.:)

ShelleyCowie
12-Mar-09, 12:23
It could be hormonal...............she will be coming up or having her first season so, def don't let her out............:eek:
They can be a bit confused during this time.........probably having her speyed will settle her down again once her season is over.:)

That is what i was thinkin teenybash. Possibly hormonal.

But is there no way to let a kitten out in a back garden under full supervision just to let her bound around for a 20 minutes? Obviously ensuring she stays within your sights!

Im not sure if that would be ok so maybe someone else can advise. :Razz

teenybash
12-Mar-09, 13:55
That is what i was thinkin teenybash. Possibly hormonal.

But is there no way to let a kitten out in a back garden under full supervision just to let her bound around for a 20 minutes? Obviously ensuring she stays within your sights!

Im not sure if that would be ok so maybe someone else can advise. :Razz

I would think letting her out, even under supervision would be highly risky if she is coming into season......her hormones would relentlessly pull her off somewhere and she possible would do a disappearing act in the blink of an eye:)
Probably better to put up with the next few weeks and then get her 'done'...

ShelleyCowie
12-Mar-09, 14:16
I would think letting her out, even under supervision would be highly risky if she is coming into season......her hormones would relentlessly pull her off somewhere and she possible would do a disappearing act in the blink of an eye:)
Probably better to put up with the next few weeks and then get her 'done'...

Ahh right ok! :Razz Wasna sure. Never had a female cat going into season. Last female cat we had she was 'done' before then i think.

laurzee89
13-Mar-09, 12:28
i thought it might be that but just wanted to check what every1 else thought.

i thought of getting her a lead just to let her out while she hasnt been done, i know some people will think its cruel but my mums kitten had one and she loved her trips in the garden.

it would be too hard to supervise her, she would be there one minute but the she would find a way of getting away into someone elses garden.

we thought about getting her a friend, an older cat (we'l rescue one from balmore, where we got her from) to settle her down, so we'l c how we get on.

teenybash
13-Mar-09, 12:36
Getting her a lead is a very good idea perhaps clipped to a cat harness.....it would giver her the opportunity of having a wee explore, marking her territory in the garden and making it her own.
Don't worry about what others think because you are doing what is right for your little friend.
Not all cats are outdoor creatures....my cat wouldn't thank you for the great outdoors and all that exploring stuff.............she will sit out for a while on a nice sunny day or an evening.........but that's it.....Good luck with pussycat friend.

laurzee89
24-Mar-09, 12:34
wee update - tried her with the lead - loved the lead - HATED outside! i put her outside and she was scratchin the front door and miaowin so loud my boyfriend could hear her in our bedroom!! so that plan has been abandonded, she has a wee sniff but ats it.

she has continued going to the loo in the same spot and someone told us to put pepper down so we did - and she peed on the pepper!!!! so now trying puttin a tray of food there because someone said they wont go where they associate with food, so we'll see how this one works out ....

purplelady
24-Mar-09, 14:20
Getting her a lead is a very good idea perhaps clipped to a cat harness.....it would giver her the opportunity of having a wee explore, marking her territory in the garden and making it her own.
Don't worry about what others think because you are doing what is right for your little friend.
Not all cats are outdoor creatures....my cat wouldn't thank you for the great outdoors and all that exploring stuff.............she will sit out for a while on a nice sunny day or an evening.........but that's it.....Good luck with pussycat friend.
have to agree with teenbash we did this with our 2 cats when we 1st had them as we lived on a very busy road and had already lost one on the road so harness wouls be a good idea in my opinion x

Liz
24-Mar-09, 15:06
It would be a good idea to have her spayed now and that should help.

If not I would highly recommend a Feliway diffuser. Check out Ebay or www.vetuk.co.uk

laurzee89
25-Mar-09, 13:23
she is booked in for 3rd April! no incidents this morning with the food on top of the pepper, but she was very clingy last night and this morning and not like her! pardon my ignorance Liz but whats a Feliway diffuser?

Dadie
25-Mar-09, 13:30
Its like a plug in airfreshner with phermones or special scents in it>

Liz
25-Mar-09, 14:15
she is booked in for 3rd April! no incidents this morning with the food on top of the pepper, but she was very clingy last night and this morning and not like her! pardon my ignorance Liz but whats a Feliway diffuser?

Its like a plug in airfreshner with phermones or special scents in it>

Not ignorance at all! Dadie has answered your question. Only cats can smell the pheromones so there's no scent which we can smell.

It is really good for behavioural problems.

Glad your wee one is booked in for spaying.:)