PDA

View Full Version : More than one house!

Angel
11-Mar-09, 23:08
I have just learned that the councils are about to be pursuaded to take over any house that has not been occupied for more that six months to give to people on the ever growing housing list.
Apparently they have the powers to do so which came in some 3 years ago and have only been used 20 times to date.
With money being tight and house building coming to a stop, this is someones solution to the housing/homeless problem.
I have a house which is under renovation and feel a little worried about this.

What are your thoughts...

Angel

teenybash
11-Mar-09, 23:32
It could be a good idea if it applies to homes that have been repossessed and lying empty with no prospect of a buyer because of the mortgage situation. I wonder if the plan includes holiday homes?

Whitewater
11-Mar-09, 23:34
Angel, I can't see them being able to do that, at least not to privately owned property. My son rents out his house and sometimes it has been vacant for more than 6 months. It is difficult to get a tenant to suit the house, sometimes it dosen't suit the tenant and also the prospective tenant might not be approved by the owner. I just can't see a council having the power to do this as long as the Council tax is being paid, but I could be wrong.
There are many council houses in Wick and I guess other towns as well which have been empty for years, also janitors houses at schools have been empty for long periods as well, the previous janitor retired, and the new one has his own accomodation. They could easily house people in these properties.

But I must admit I have not heard of this proposal

balto
11-Mar-09, 23:59
surly it means, folk that rent houses from the council or other housing people, claiming to live there but dont, mayby as a benifit scam or the likes.

Bobinovich
12-Mar-09, 00:29
...also janitors houses at schools have been empty for long periods as well, the previous janitor retired, and the new one has his own accomodation. They could easily house people in these properties...

But I'm sure most parents wouldn't want any Tom, Dick or Harry being placed in such close proximity to a school, without very thorough background checks first...

jay
12-Mar-09, 17:03
seem to remember reading something about this in the paper last year - I think it only applied to England and wales and the council had to prove that the house was virtually abandoned - it you could prove you were doing something with it or were waiting for probate or similar they couldn't touch it

Tighsonas4
12-Mar-09, 18:29
are you sure that ruling is not for there own rented property
that has applied to it for quite a long time tony

Angel
13-Mar-09, 23:46
It definatly includes privately owed dwellings. But I believe I am ok in my situation even if it has taken 7 years so far to renovate...

Angel...

percy toboggan
14-Mar-09, 00:27
But I'm sure most parents wouldn't want any Tom, Dick or Harry being placed in such close proximity to a school, without very thorough background checks first...

I see this as a highly paranoid post I'm afraid.
We cannot assume that any tom, dick or tenant is a danger to children.
It is quite ludicrous to expect anyone who moves within a couple of hundred yards of a school to be subjected to crb checks.

Perspective is required here.

Bazeye
14-Mar-09, 00:31
It is quite ludicrous to expect anyone who moves within a couple of hundred yards of a school to be subjected to crb checks.

Exactly. Fat lot of good they do anyway. I assume Ian Huntley was checked wasnt he.

butterfly
14-Mar-09, 01:37
surly it means, folk that rent houses from the council or other housing people, claiming to live there but dont, mayby as a benifit scam or the likes.

agree Balto,there is plenty scams like this.

Bobinovich
14-Mar-09, 02:10

Nothing paranoid IMO - I'm not talking about people living outwith the school grounds or nearby the school. I was simply pointing out that the aforementioned janitors houses are often within school grounds so, just as any prospective janitor would be subject to background checks, surely anyone else living in such close proximity would have to be subject to such checks also :confused.

I take the point given about Huntley tho' but IIRC was there not a mix up with his records anyway? That's the recording / cross referencing system which was at fault...

butterfly
14-Mar-09, 03:32
Your right there Bobinovich,they would have to go through Disclosure Scotland to live or work within the perimetres of the school grounds.

Angela
14-Mar-09, 09:15
Nothing paranoid IMO - I'm not talking about people living outwith the school grounds or nearby the school. I was simply pointing out that the aforementioned janitors houses are often within school grounds so, just as any prospective janitor would be subject to background checks, surely anyone else living in such close proximity would have to be subject to such checks also :confused.

Nothing paranoid about your post, Bob. I used to stay with my uncle and auntie, who lived in the janitor's house attached to a school in Caithness, so I know how close to the school it was -virtually in the playground lol. The house would have gone to the head janitor but he didn't want to move from the house he already had, and they wanted someone 'on the premises' so my uncle, the assistant janitor, moved from the council house he already had into the janitor's house.

That was before the days of the kind of Disclosure we have now, but obviously you had to be deemed suitable for the job to get the house. My uncle took great pride in having the keys to the school in his charge! :)