PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Lost This Dog?

Gizmo
11-Mar-09, 18:57
Mods, can you please leave this post here for tonight before moving it to the pets section, thanks.

Does anyone know who owns this lovely pooch?
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll71/Dirty_Wicker71/DSC00039.jpg

I found it wandering about in Willowbank, Wick at 4pm this afternoon, it has a collar but no tag, it was running in and out of traffic and nearly got hit a few times, it's a really friendly dog so i managed to get a hold of it, no one i spoke to had any idea who it belongs to.
I went to the council service point who told me to take it to the police station and the dog warden would collect it later.
So if this is your dog or you know who it belongs to it is currently in Wick Police Station.

And just one last thing, if the owner of this lovely dog is reading this.....GET A BLOOMIN' NAME TAG, there is no excuse for not having one.

unicorn
11-Mar-09, 19:44
Gorgeous dog, I do hope it's owners are found.
I actually saw one like that running loose in Thurso on Sunday night? I think... I did think about grabbing the one I saw but the last dog I tried to help nearly ate me.

Lavenderblue2
11-Mar-09, 20:32
Oh the poor thing - he actually look too thin.
Have you tried asking the vet Gizmo? They may recognise the dog.
Hope you find his owner soon.

DM07
11-Mar-09, 20:57
I hope that the dog finds his home where ever it may be. Also Id like to say what an outstanding citizen Gizmo is. To go to all this time and effort for someone else dog. The world could do with a few more of you.
Although my dog wouldnt run now (she knows where her bread is buttered) Id hope if she did someone like you would find her

daviddd
11-Mar-09, 21:38
good on 'ya Gizmo, it's sad how some folk treat their animals (and other people too come to that!)

butterfly
11-Mar-09, 21:39
poor dog,he looks like he could do with a big feed,good on you gizmo for caring for its wellbeing.

Gizmo
11-Mar-09, 22:22
I don't think she's actually under nourished, she has a good coat and was solid muscle, she was very strong, i'm sure she's well looked after wherever she comes from, i hope she is returned to her owner and that her owner gets a good talking to about not having an address tag, poor pooch.

changilass
11-Mar-09, 22:53
You are fixated with the tag Gizmo.

I agree all dogs should have tags, but it is possible that it has come off somehow.

Hope the dog gets its humans back soon.

zappster
11-Mar-09, 23:03
Well done Giz that was a good thing to do!

Iris
11-Mar-09, 23:14
Had to go and check my kennels, looks just like one of mine!!!
I know he couldn't be out out but it still gave me pause for thought!

That was a very kind thing to do, taking the dog to the police. I would hope that if any of mine got out that whoever found them would take the time to do the same.

Melancholy Man
11-Mar-09, 23:15
Rover! Where is Mr. Thumper???

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-09, 23:24
Good to see that you took this dog out of harms way Gizmo.

Did the police check to see if she was micro chiped?

I have never had a tag on any of my dogs or coller's.

teenybash
11-Mar-09, 23:28
You are kind to have helped this lovely dog who could very easily have been injured. Top marks to you Gizmo. Hope the owner comes forward as it looks a well looked after character, just needing a good feed.

sweetpea
11-Mar-09, 23:41
It doesn't look like he has a home to me.

balto
12-Mar-09, 00:08
Good to see that you took this dog out of harms way Gizmo.

Did the police check to see if she was micro chiped?

I have never had a tag on any of my dogs or coller's.
my dog wears a collar, but no tag, he is micro chipped though incase he ever got lost. gizmo, hope you find the dogs owner.

Gizmo
12-Mar-09, 01:17
my dog wears a collar, but no tag, he is micro chipped though incase he ever got lost. gizmo, hope you find the dogs owner.

I did have a feel around the dogs neck to see if i could feel a micro chip, but i couldn't find one, i'm sure the police would have checked with their equipment.

Now i'm not having a go at you, but i really can't understand why any dog owner wouldn't have a name and address tag on their dog, even if it is micro chipped, especially if the dog wears a collar anyway, if that dog had a name tag it would have been a simple case of taking the dog home, but as it didn't i spent an hour trying to get someone to help with looking after it.
I first called the police to ask for the dog wardens phone number, but there was no answer at the number they gave me, when i called back to the police they said they couldn't help, they don'y have facilities for dogs and it was the councils responsibility, i then went down to the service point to ask them to contact the dog warden, turns out the Wick dog warden is 'Off work' and Wick is being covered by someone from Thurso, but they had gone back to Thurso for the day, after waiting for the dog warden to be contacted i was told that i had to take the dog to the police station and the warden would collect it later on, turns out the police DO have facilities for dogs but just wont come and collect a lost/stray animal, you have to take it to them.
So i spent a whole hour and a couple of quid on mobile phone calls trying to help the dog when a simple and cheap name tag would have solved the problem in 10 minutes.

Gizmo
12-Mar-09, 01:22

I agree all dogs should have tags, but it is possible that it has come off somehow.

I had a good look at the collar and there was no sign of any tag being attached, there would have been some wear and tear if it had a tag attached but had come off, but this collar was in pristine condition.

Kevin Milkins
12-Mar-09, 02:26
Point taken Gizmo, I never realised it was such a hassle. I suppose I have become a little complacent by the fact my dogs never seem to want to be anywere other than where we are.

I know dogs can become high if there is a bitch on heat in the area and have a tendancy to follow there instincts, but because I have never had a problem does not mean I may not have one in the future.:confused

I may give collers and name tags some future consideration.

Gizmo
12-Mar-09, 11:03
Good news, i have just spoken to the council service point and the dog has been returned to the people it owns :)

cuddlepop
12-Mar-09, 11:06
Good news, i have just spoken to the council service point and the dog has been returned to the people it owns :)

brilliant news,I love a happy ending and well done you for taking the time and effort to rescue that wee dog.:D

changilass
12-Mar-09, 11:06
I had a good look at the collar and there was no sign of any tag being attached, there would have been some wear and tear if it had a tag attached but had come off, but this collar was in pristine condition.

I stand corrected and apologise.

Great to hear she is back with her humans.

windness
12-Mar-09, 11:12
Nice to see some people have good manners to apologise

Kevin Milkins
12-Mar-09, 11:22

Thats great news Gizmo:Razz

It always concerns me with this type of situation that an owner has had a change of circumstances and taken desperate measures to relieve themselves of there resposibility towards there pet.:confused

All's well that ends well.

Gizmo
12-Mar-09, 11:24
I stand corrected and apologise.

Great to hear she is back with her humans.

You have nothing at all to apologise for, you put forward a perfectly fine point about the possibility of a tag becoming detached.

floyed
12-Mar-09, 11:41

yes well it would help alot if the tag was on. An it is illegal for your dog not to have a tag i think its a £90 fine if caught.

plus it cost a few pounds to get one made so there is really no excuse!

teenybash
12-Mar-09, 11:58

Good news and I am sure the doggy and owners will be very happy that all ends well. Because it is such a lovely animal that managed to escape, I am sure they will pop a tag onto the collar, just encase it happens again.:)

buggyracer
12-Mar-09, 12:02
ive never been a fan of tags, my dogs are all microchipped but to me name tags make it easier for a dog theif to either steal or sell on your dog as they know the dogs name or address. :confused

floyed
12-Mar-09, 12:10
I thought it was £90 but i was wrong..

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable).

You can be fined up to £5,000 if your dog does not wear an identification tag.
Exceptions

Dogs used on official duties by the armed forces, HM Customs & Excise or the police
Dogs used for sporting purposes and packs of hounds
Dogs used for the capture or destruction of vermin
Dogs used for driving or tending cattle or sheep
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Dogs used for emergency rescue work

lelebo
12-Mar-09, 12:29
I actually saw this same dog running loose around Willowbank about a month ago - we were worried for it then - very friendly but scared my little girl because it kept jumping up on her - she followed us most of the way along and then ran off so we thought she'd gone home - sorry to hear she'd got out again :( Hope it doesn't happen again - that's a busy road for cars!

Kevin Milkins
12-Mar-09, 13:28
I thought it was £90 but i was wrong..

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable).

You can be fined up to £5,000 if your dog does not wear an identification tag.
Exceptions

Dogs used on official duties by the armed forces, HM Customs & Excise or the police
Dogs used for sporting purposes and packs of hounds
Dogs used for the capture or destruction of vermin
Dogs used for driving or tending cattle or sheep
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Dogs used for emergency rescue work

You learn something new every day.

I have been a dog owner all my life and there has never been a time in my life when I have not had a dog and often several and yet I was not aware of those laws.:eek:

I will have to review what I do to come into line with the law and become a responsible dog owner I think.

When I am at home or in the car my 2 dogs don’t wear a collar, and if in public they will be on a lead.
When I let them off for a run and play (on the beech etc) I take there lead off with the collar attached to it so in future I may consider getting name tags and taking there lead off but leaving the collar on when in public places in future.

As this law was brought in the early 1990 I wonder if it has been updated with the invent of microchips?

Anyway, I must cut on as I have a very busy afternoon.
I have a rat catching job to do out at Watten before fetching the sheep indoors for lambing.
Then we are off to do some hunting with the local hunt, but can’t go to far as we are on call with the local rescue service.
Now where did I leave that white stick? damm, I think I left it in the boot of that car when we did that last drugs bust. :roll:;)

floyed
12-Mar-09, 15:24
Hi Kevin, just checked to see if the law has changed since micro chipping, doesn't look like it has unless someone can correct me, this is what i found -

Laws Directly Affecting Dog Owners

Your legal responsibility as a dog owner
As a responsible dog owner, it is important for you to meet with the requirements of the law. There are a number of Acts and Orders which all dog owners should be aware of.

Identification

• Control of Dogs Order 1992

This requires that every dog, while in a public place, wears a collar with the name and address of his owner inscribed on it or on a disc attached to it. If a collar is not worn when out in a public place, the dog may be seized by the police and treated as a stray. Also the owner, and any person in charge of the dog permitting him to be in a public place without a collar, will each be guilty of an offence and may be prosecuted and fined.
If your dog does stray, you should immediately contact your local dog warden (through the Environmental Health Department at your local council) and the local police station. The Environmental Protection Act 1990 allows for your dog to be seized and sold or destroyed if unclaimed after a seven day period.
• Microchipping

Sadly, dogs are often destroyed because their owners cannot be found and the dog cannot be found a home. If a dog is microchipped with his own unique identification number registered on a national database, owners can be traced very quickly and the dog can be returned safe and sound.

Microchipping

Whilst every dog owner is legally obliged to ensure that their dog is wearing a collar and identification disc, thousands of owners have now taken more positive steps to ensure their much-loved companion can also be identified through microchip technology.

The technology for microchipping pets has been available in the UK since 1989. During this time over 2 million dogs and cats have been microchipped, and this number continues to grow at an estimated 7,500 registrations per week.

The method of microchipping is now recognised as the most effective and secure way of permanently identifying a pet. Once microchipped, the unique identification number is registered to the animal and the owner's details are placed on a national database. If you have ever lost your dog, you will know just how distressing it can be.
Sadly, the reality is that of the many thousands of dogs that go missing each year, it is estimated that less than half of them are reunited with their owners. Don't wait until it's too late. Get your dog microchipped and have the assurance that should he become lost (or be stolen), he is more likely to be returned to you safe and sound.

buggyracer
12-Mar-09, 15:28
Hi Kevin, just checked to see if the law has changed since micro chipping, doesn't look like it has unless someone can correct me, this is what i found -

Laws Directly Affecting Dog Owners

Your legal responsibility as a dog owner
As a responsible dog owner, it is important for you to meet with the requirements of the law. There are a number of Acts and Orders which all dog owners should be aware of.

Identification

• Control of Dogs Order 1992

This requires that every dog, while in a public place, wears a collar with the name and address of his owner inscribed on it or on a disc attached to it. If a collar is not worn when out in a public place, the dog may be seized by the police and treated as a stray. Also the owner, and any person in charge of the dog permitting him to be in a public place without a collar, will each be guilty of an offence and may be prosecuted and fined.
If your dog does stray, you should immediately contact your local dog warden (through the Environmental Health Department at your local council) and the local police station. The Environmental Protection Act 1990 allows for your dog to be seized and sold or destroyed if unclaimed after a seven day period.
• Microchipping

Sadly, dogs are often destroyed because their owners cannot be found and the dog cannot be found a home. If a dog is microchipped with his own unique identification number registered on a national database, owners can be traced very quickly and the dog can be returned safe and sound.

Microchipping

Whilst every dog owner is legally obliged to ensure that their dog is wearing a collar and identification disc, thousands of owners have now taken more positive steps to ensure their much-loved companion can also be identified through microchip technology.

The technology for microchipping pets has been available in the UK since 1989. During this time over 2 million dogs and cats have been microchipped, and this number continues to grow at an estimated 7,500 registrations per week.

The method of microchipping is now recognised as the most effective and secure way of permanently identifying a pet. Once microchipped, the unique identification number is registered to the animal and the owner's details are placed on a national database. If you have ever lost your dog, you will know just how distressing it can be.
Sadly, the reality is that of the many thousands of dogs that go missing each year, it is estimated that less than half of them are reunited with their owners. Don't wait until it's too late. Get your dog microchipped and have the assurance that should he become lost (or be stolen), he is more likely to be returned to you safe and sound.

i have never known anyone to either use a identity collar or to be prosecuted for not wearing one? the wording above is pretty loose? it could be taken that a simple collar would suffice without a name tag?

Kevin Milkins
12-Mar-09, 15:33
Thanks for that info floyed, you would think as a long time dog owner I should know all that,but I didn't.:confused

I have got a visit to the vet in the morning with Megan so I will price up a couple tags.

Cheers floyed and Gizmo.

Regards

KM

Fran
13-Mar-09, 04:11
I have just read the rules Kevin, and you could always say that your two are for driving cattle, then you are excempt. I can just picture them......

Mine could be for emergency rescue work..............

balto
13-Mar-09, 10:07
I did have a feel around the dogs neck to see if i could feel a micro chip, but i couldn't find one, i'm sure the police would have checked with their equipment.

Now i'm not having a go at you, but i really can't understand why any dog owner wouldn't have a name and address tag on their dog, even if it is micro chipped, especially if the dog wears a collar anyway, if that dog had a name tag it would have been a simple case of taking the dog home, but as it didn't i spent an hour trying to get someone to help with looking after it.
I first called the police to ask for the dog wardens phone number, but there was no answer at the number they gave me, when i called back to the police they said they couldn't help, they don'y have facilities for dogs and it was the councils responsibility, i then went down to the service point to ask them to contact the dog warden, turns out the Wick dog warden is 'Off work' and Wick is being covered by someone from Thurso, but they had gone back to Thurso for the day, after waiting for the dog warden to be contacted i was told that i had to take the dog to the police station and the warden would collect it later on, turns out the police DO have facilities for dogs but just wont come and collect a lost/stray animal, you have to take it to them.
So i spent a whole hour and a couple of quid on mobile phone calls trying to help the dog when a simple and cheap name tag would have solved the problem in 10 minutes.now in this day and age it seems wrong to put you address on your dogs collor, as who knows who will see it, mayby your phone number but thats it.

that is brlliant news, glad the dog is home where he belongs.

Bazeye
13-Mar-09, 10:59
The state I ended up in last Saturday night, my OH threatened to get one for me.:~(

Gizmo
13-Mar-09, 11:56
now in this day and age it seems wrong to put you address on your dogs collor, as who knows who will see it, mayby your phone number but thats it.

Well not according to the law.

And to be honest with you i really can't see why you would be worried about someone seeing your address on a dog tag, do you honestly think that someone is going to look at the address and think...'Oooo...i must burgle this place'?, that's just being silly and paranoid.
Can you actually give me one valid reason as to why it would be wrong to have your address on a dog tag in Caithness?

teenybash
13-Mar-09, 12:26
Phew..........after reading this I am very glad my dogs have their own private land to doddle around on............So many rules and regulations to take into consideration if it were otherwise. :confused

Bazeye
13-Mar-09, 13:26
Well not according to the law.

And to be honest with you i really can't see why you would be worried about someone seeing your address on a dog tag, do you honestly think that someone is going to look at the address and think...'Oooo...i must burgle this place'?, that's just being silly and paranoid.
Can you actually give me one valid reason as to why it would be wrong to have your address on a dog tag in Caithness?

Dognappers? I know its unlikely but Ill bet its happened.

Gizmo
13-Mar-09, 14:09
Dognappers? I know its unlikely but Ill bet its happened.

So what you are really saying is that a dog with an address tag that says 'Miller Ave' is likely to get pinched?..so a dog with an 'Kennedy Tce' address tag will be quite safe from roving bands of dognappers? :lol:, and for Thurso...well, who would pinch a dowg fae e Gleeb? :)

Bazeye
13-Mar-09, 17:13
So what you are really saying is that a dog with an address tag that says 'Miller Ave' is likely to get pinched?..so a dog with an 'Kennedy Tce' address tag will be quite safe from roving bands of dognappers? :lol:, and for Thurso...well, who would pinch a dowg fae e Gleeb? :)
Smackheads are desperate people.