PDA

View Full Version : St.Patrick's day?

plutonio
11-Mar-09, 09:36
i can't help but notice that pubs, clubs etc are really keen to promote St.P day?! With Shamrocks,Shillelaghs and Leprechauns everywhere,whats all that about then? We are Scottish!
I am proud to be Scottish and don't want to be Irish.
All these bars in Scotland should be promoting and celebrating St. Andrews day.

golach
11-Mar-09, 09:58
Maybe Guinness are doing promotions up north, down here all the pubs in the centre of Edinburgh are geared up for the Irish invasion on Saturday, my local is not celebrating St Patricks Day.

Bazeye
11-Mar-09, 12:02
Cant celebrate St George's day in England, its classed as racist.

davie
11-Mar-09, 12:12
St Paddy's day is traditionally an excuse (if one is needed) for the pubs to sell more booze and the punters to get more blitzed. Very little to do with the 'ould country'.

bettedaviseyes
11-Mar-09, 17:22
me and my pals are going throw to edinburgh for st.patrick's day should be a laught cant wait :D

hotrod4
11-Mar-09, 19:38
Dont do St Patricks day prefer the 12th myself!!!![lol]

lagertops
11-Mar-09, 19:41
The Weigh Inn hotel in Thurso are having a St Patrick's night Hooley on the 21st March.

There is alot of tickets sold already,with a good Irish band from Glasgow coming up!

Bring it on

Kodiak
11-Mar-09, 19:50
I Always celebrate St. Patrick's Day. :D

The Main reason is beacuse it is my Wife's Birthday. [lol]

Amy-Winehouse
11-Mar-09, 20:25
Im not Irish, thats the main reason for not celebrating it. My local isnt celebrating it either as we are in Wick, Highland Region , Scotland. Sounds a good enough reason to me but Happy St Paddys day to all the REAL Irish people in Caithness

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-09, 21:58
At my old rugby club we used to celebrate Saint George’s day, Saint Patrick’s day, Saint David’s day, and Saint Andrews day.

It started off as just an excuse to boost club funds and turned out to be a very good initiative by our social committee.

Whatever day it was, the club members of that nation would take the lead role in organising the themed night and preparing a traditional meal for all to enjoy and it became so popular that we had to limit ticket sales and very quickly sold out.

As a Welshman living in England I found it very informative and an excellent opportunity to learn, share and enjoy each others customs and traditions while also sampling some great food that you would not normally try out.

dogman
11-Mar-09, 22:18
This is something i've never understood. At the moment, Weatherspoons has a triculor above the bar in celebration of St. Patricks day, as they do every year. Yet when St. Andrews day approaches there is no Saltire or Lion Rampant.
It annoys me that so many scottish people become plastic paddies for 1 night, then do nothing about St. Andrews day.

lagertops
11-Mar-09, 23:05
This is something i've never understood. At the moment, Weatherspoons has a triculor above the bar in celebration of St. Patricks day, as they do every year. Yet when St. Andrews day approaches there is no Saltire or Lion Rampant.
It annoys me that so many scottish people become plastic paddies for 1 night, then do nothing about St. Andrews day.

For some reason the brewers flood the pubs with all things Irish at this time of the year.
My mate held a St Andrews night last year in his house(was a crackin night) but as you say the pubs etc dont do enough for St Andrews day.

Up the plastic Paddies!

teenybash
11-Mar-09, 23:36
St Andrews day has never been promoted in Scotland and that is why it passes us by. On the other hand St Patricks day has always been celebrated in Ireland and along with a lot of the population has migrated.
Maybe we need to get out and start the celebrations instead of waiting on councils to do it......;)

ads
12-Mar-09, 00:34
From what I remember of History lessons the Lion Rampart was an English Flag from the times of Richard and the Crusades when Scotland used the Unicorn, both of which James V1 abandoned and after much pressure on his English Peers came up with the Union Jack, which consisted of the English St George and the St Andrews Cross.

Aaldtimer
12-Mar-09, 04:03
From what I remember the Lion Rampart was the flag of The Bruce!
The Union Jack also incorporated the Welsh flag as well.

hotrod4
12-Mar-09, 06:17
Who cares what the flag means! The point is people go overboard and do things all green and leprechaun for a night that means little to the population of Britain.More emphasis should be put on nationalism of our OWN country and not the part of an Island that fought with us for centuries to get away from us, and there we are glorifing THEIR heritage. A bit bonkers if you ask me!!:lol: What next? Argentina day[lol]

plutonio
12-Mar-09, 08:11
From what I remember the Lion Rampart was the flag of The Bruce!

The Union Jack also includes the old Irish flag, don't know if it includes the Welsh?

plutonio
12-Mar-09, 08:19
i always make apoint of not going to any of these Irish themed nights, and i try to avoid all the so called Irish pubs abroad.
Every single "Irish" pub i've been in looks exactly the same as a "Scottish" or "English" pub.

What the Irish do is push the "cheeky Irish chappie thing" and come and get the "Criac" like they are the only people in the world that can have a laugh- Not. The Criac is every bit as good here, in Scotland.

Come on Scotland, be proud of our country not someone elses!

Wha's like Us?...... Damn few and they're a' deid!

Bazeye
12-Mar-09, 15:51
The Union Jack also includes the old Irish flag, don't know if it includes the Welsh?

Its the St George's cross, Saltire and St Patricks cross and youre correct ,it has no reference to the Welsh flag.

Kevin Milkins
12-Mar-09, 16:09
Its the St George's cross, Saltire and St Patricks cross and youre correct ,it has no reference to the Welsh flag.

Discrimination,thats what it is ,down right discrimination.;):lol:

Bazeye
12-Mar-09, 20:21
I blame that Ann Robinson.

Bazeye
12-Mar-09, 20:25
Mind you, thinking about it, she could be the dragon.

golach
12-Mar-09, 20:29
Sadly the flag of Wales is not included in the Union Flag, is because Wales was a Principality when the Union Flag was adopted, the rest were kingdoms in their own right or part of kingdoms as Ireland was.

Gene Hunt
12-Mar-09, 20:43
I blame that Ann Robinson.

So do us Taffs for everything since she asked what the point of us was when its blindingly obvious .. someone has to show the other Home Nations to play Rugby .. ;)

But on topic we seem to have big push here for St Patricks Day as well, I think its just another marketing push from the Pubs. I don't know anyone here that goes out just because it is St Patricks Day.

Cinderella's Shoe
15-Mar-09, 00:42
i can't help but notice that pubs, clubs etc are really keen to promote St.P day?! With Shamrocks,Shillelaghs and Leprechauns everywhere,whats all that about then? We are Scottish!
I am proud to be Scottish and don't want to be Irish.
All these bars in Scotland should be promoting and celebrating St. Andrews day.

OK its just another excuse, but why not celebrate them all?

oldmarine
15-Mar-09, 02:42
I'm not Irish but I joined my village neighbors in enjoying a good dinner of corned beef and cabbage for St. Patty's day. Do it every year.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Mar-09, 02:39
Paddy's Day is just an excuse to have a few pints of the Black Gold. I must admit I started the celebrations a bit early yesterday. :)

Chillie
16-Mar-09, 02:43
OK its just another excuse, but why not celebrate them all?.
Why them all we only celebrate the Irish and the Scottish as we are one.

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Mar-09, 14:59
Happy Paddy's Day to all the Irish - that means you Saveman - on this here board. Dinnae drink too many pints of the black Gold now.

canuck
17-Mar-09, 15:16
And a pint to all the Caithnessians and Canadians who get mistaken for Irish because of our melodic accents.

teenybash
17-Mar-09, 16:10
This is a fine St Patricks day to be sure.....even the Sun is shining....

May your glass be ever full,
May the roof over your head
be always strong,
And may you be in Heaven Half an hour......
before the devil knows you're dead!!!

Happy St Patricks Day to all.:Razz

Joefitz
17-Mar-09, 17:18
Sullivans Pub and Molly Brannigans have been open since 6:00 am, selling green eggs and ham, corned beef and cabbage, and green Budweiser beer. It always cracks me up to see some bozo, last name tohojlski, or waczelovski, dressed in green, with a leprechaun hat, shouting Bejaysus, and Begorrah, and gimme another green beer, Paddy!!!!

Julia
17-Mar-09, 18:58

Not wishing to be pedantic but the term 'Union Jack' is incorrect, it's proper name is the Union Flag. ;)

Melancholy Man
17-Mar-09, 20:50
Ook, ook, ooky-ooky-ooky-ook, ook, ook, ooky-ooky-ook, ook, ook, ook-ooook, ook (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65tAB-Qojg0).

Anyone got a banana?

Saveman
17-Mar-09, 21:01
Happy Paddy's Day to all the Irish - that means you Saveman - on this here board. Dinnae drink too many pints of the black Gold now.

What did St Patrick ever do for us? ;)
It's actually been a while since I had a good pint of the good stuff. Tis a truism: it don't travel well....not this far north anyway....

canuck
17-Mar-09, 21:04
Actually Patrick himself was English, or whatever people from the west coast of England were called in the fourth century.

golach
17-Mar-09, 21:25
What did St Patrick ever do for us? ;)
ach come on Savey.....gave us a chance to have a hooley, with our Celt cousins, top of the morning Evening to ye all

Melancholy Man
17-Mar-09, 21:32
And the founder of M.I.5 was a good little Catholic boy from Kerry; the Lieutenant-Governor of Punjab at the time of the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre was also a Catholic boy from the Emerald Isle. Plus, Theobald Wolfe Tone was an Anglican who thought the Catholics were uncouth and dangerous.

Funny old world.

golach
17-Mar-09, 21:33
And the founder of M.I.5 was a good little Catholic boy from Kerry; the Lieutenant-Governor of Punjab at the time of the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre was also a Catholic boy from the Emerald Isle. Plus, Theobald Wolfe Tone was an Anglican who thought the Catholics were uncouth and dangerous.

Funny old world.
Who cares MM, why bring religion into all your posts

Melancholy Man
17-Mar-09, 21:52
Who cares MM, why bring religion into all your posts

Demonstrably false. Secondly, it was in response to Canuck's statement that St. Patrick was from the Cumbrian coast, but I think you knew that.

If you're looking for someone to blame for Irish nationalism being associated with one confessional of Christianity as well as Irish Gaelic culture which, in turn, was assumed to be implacably opposed to the 'British', it ain't me.

joxville
17-Mar-09, 22:04
MM, you seem to be a walking encyclopaedia-is there anything you don't know about? I wouldn't be surprised if you knew my N.I. number. :D

Melancholy Man
17-Mar-09, 22:06
I would settle for Katie's number. I hear she's single.

canuck
17-Mar-09, 22:16
... St. Patrick was from the Cumbrian coast, but I think you knew that.

No, further south than that. Wales area.

Melancholy Man
17-Mar-09, 22:23
Ah, but Cumbria is a cognate of Cymru. Fair enough, though.

golach
17-Mar-09, 23:05
If you're looking for someone to blame for Irish nationalism being associated with one confessional of Christianity as well as Irish Gaelic culture which, in turn, was assumed to be implacably opposed to the 'British', it ain't me.
I am not looking to blame anyone, but just stating that you seem to have a fixation, with religion, and you bring it into virtually all of your posts, for no reason.

This thread was a question about the celebrations being held in pubs on St Patricks day in and why not St Andrews day?

Julia
17-Mar-09, 23:27
Burn's night seems to be far more popular than St Andrew's Day, at least that is something Scottish that is regularly celebrated.

St Andrew's Day may not be as widely celebrated as St Patrick's day but for those who are lucky enough to be employed they will no doubt offer thanks for the annual bank holiday it brings.

Melancholy Man
17-Mar-09, 23:31
You need to sort out your chronology, Golach. I do spend a fair amount of time talking about jihadis, but this is first to distinguish the great many British Muslims who reject their ideology (and those Muslims around the globe who're their principle victims) and then to discuss a political phenomenon. Also, it is almost invariably in *response* to others' attempting to externalize the actions of individual Muslims to Muslims individually or, in this case, Canuck's comment.

Even then, why shouldn't I talk about religious belief? It's interesting that homo sapiens believe the things they do, as it affects their relations with others of the species. My initial post in this thread was on the title subject of the Disneyworld of the dipsomaniac and getting bladdered (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article5920055.ece). Purim's just past, and I didn't see one goy getting bladdering whilst wearing Haman ears.

Julia
17-Mar-09, 23:36
snip>My initial post in this thread was on the title subject of the Disneyworld of the dipsomaniac and getting bladdered (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article5920055.ece). Purim's just past, and I didn't see one goy getting bladdering whilst wearing Haman ears.

I agree....(I think?) :eek: Sorry what was the question?

Melancholy Man
17-Mar-09, 23:39
Welcome to my mind, Julia.

Bazeye
18-Mar-09, 00:32
I agree....(I think?) :eek: Sorry what was the question?

Can I phone a friend?

teenybash
18-Mar-09, 00:53
Actually Patrick himself was English, or whatever people from the west coast of England were called in the fourth century.

In truth St Patrick was actually Scottish born to Roman parents. He was kidnapped at a young age and taken to Irleland, eventually escaping. Studied Christianity and later returned, by his own choice, to Ireland and converted the druids and pagans to Christianity. He died on March 17th sometime in the 4th centurary I think.
St Patricks Day was not celebrated until 1903.

Kevin Milkins
18-Mar-09, 01:04
In truth St Patrick was actually Scottish born to Roman parents. He was kidnapped at a young age and taken to Irleland, eventually escaping. Studied Christianity and later returned, by his own choice, to Ireland and converted the druids and pagans to Christianity. He died on March 17th sometime in the 4th centurary I think.
St Patricks Day was not celebrated until 1903.

They took a while to decide to celerbrate his death TB, it must have been about the same time that they invented Guinness I should think. lol

George Brims
18-Mar-09, 01:14
Patrick was Welsh, not English.

Anne x
18-Mar-09, 01:16

lol Canuck I thought he was Welsh :(

canuck
18-Mar-09, 12:37
Welsh, English or Brazilian - I never, ever, never brought religion into this discussion. And I would never, ever, never offer a comment that was sectarian, racist, religist, sexist, elitist or any of the offensive 'ists' that exist out there.