PDA

View Full Version : Henderson - Caithness to IL

Joan Henderson Meyer
20-Sep-03, 02:55
Alexander HENDERSON and Margaret McKAY were married 8 Nov 1850. The parish entry says "both in this parish" and I neglected to note which parish the record came from when I extracted it from a reel in 1990 at Salt Lake City. Why must we often learn the hard way? Alex was a shepherd at Banniskirk.

They had at least 4 children, William, (born about 1852), no other information known; Alexander, (born 1856 at Banniskirk), married Margaret BELL, in Chicago, Cook Co, IL before 1895; John, (born about 1854), married Margaret LYALL in Caithness in 1881; and Mary Ann, (born about 1859) believed to be married to a MILLER.

When Alex died in Chicago in 1911, probate of his will said that his mother and sister were living in Thurso.

My mother talked of one of Mary Ann's children moving to the north shore area of Chicago and that another child had moved to Canada where he worked for a bank. My mother knew little of my father's family, and I was too young to know to ask any questions.

Do any of those names "ring a bell" with other researchers? I'd love to find out more about this family.

IanHenderson
16-Oct-04, 08:41
Hi Joan. My G/Grandfather Daniel Henderson had an older brother Alexander Gunn Henderson Born 19th Dec 1828 Putney Parish Wick. Could he be the Alexander you are looking for?

robbain
18-Oct-04, 07:47
Joan, Alexander Henderson & Margaret Mckay married in Bower Parish, 8 Nov 1850. I have in my tree an Alexander Henderson born 1831 in Bower Parish, son of David Henderson & Helen Miller. Did you find a death certificate for Alexander Henderson or tried Ellis Island Records at www.EllisIsland.org.

I will have a look at the marriage on the Bower OPR microfilm.