PDA

View Full Version : Space station and Caithness

_Ju_
18-Feb-06, 23:31
I read in various national newspapers today that radio amateurs from Caithness communicated with the space station and an astronaut of Scottish ascendence. Congratulations to them, should they be on www.caithness.org Its nice to read about Caithness on a national level.

pedromcgrory
19-Feb-06, 00:03
it was in the local paper first page this week

_Ju_
19-Feb-06, 00:11
I did say: it's nice to read about Caithness on a NATIONAL level.

pedromcgrory
19-Feb-06, 00:45
no difference on org or several papers

tommy1979
19-Feb-06, 15:48
I read in various national newspapers today that radio amateurs from Caithness communicated with the space station and an astronaut of Scottish ascendence. Congratulations to them, should they be on www.caithness.org Its nice to read about Caithness on a national level.

took a tear to ma eye so it did :roll:

DRM
19-Feb-06, 23:22
Many thanks for the comments on the Story of the members of the Caithness Amateur Radio Society contacting the Space Station
If anybody is Interested in Amateur Radio or Radio in general please come to the Nethercliffe Hotel in WICK where we meet on the FIRST WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH at 7:30 pm. NO qualifications etc are necessary other than an interest in radio.If you so wish training is available to enable you to take an exam in order to gain a amateur radio licence to enable you to operate real radios on various modes of operation be it the old morse code or modern digital computer or voice and who knows you may be the next to speak to the space station or something different
Ta very much DRM

peter macdonald
20-Feb-06, 00:50
Thanks DRM for your comments maybe its not too well known but anyone with a scanner could hear the the International Space Station when it is over head by programming in 145.800 fm
A good link regarding the old space suit the astronauts threw out (SUITSAT)is http://pd0rkc.ontwikkel.nl/main.html
it gives recordings and data It was heard I believe in Murkle and Sarclet Dare i say it not locations normally associated with space communications (with due respect to the people who live there!!)
Thanks for your efforts to put Caithness on the map
Peter