PDA

View Full Version : Toftgunn croft

roadbowler
10-Mar-09, 03:29
Wondering if anyone knows if there is any old settlements, ruins or anything of the like that would have been Toft Gunn croft out in the forest at Camster? Any info greatly appreciated!

Sage
10-Mar-09, 11:26
There is a Toftgun on the old OS map dated 1896

If you look at the map it's South East of the Loch of Camster. On the new OS map its in the middle of the forest where it says Hill of Toftgun

Hope that helps :)

roadbowler
10-Mar-09, 21:25
thanks sage. Aye, ive looked through a lot of maps - old and new and seen toftgunn hill on some and i notice camster forest on that side is called Toftgun/Camster Forest but, Toftgun Hill is a large area and because of the forestry plantation, ive so far been unable to pinpoint visually where remains of toftgun croft might be. I have seen in the old censuses that Brickagoe follows Toftgunn for households so am wondering if it is closer to the Thrumster side rather than the Camster side. Thanks!

Metalattakk
10-Mar-09, 21:54
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/PSAS_2002/pdf/vol_007/7_289_307.pdf

Have a look at this .pdf document. On page 26, down near the bottom it says this:

Proceeding eastward to the estate of Camster, may be noticed, at the source of the burn of Toft Gunn, the side of a Pict's house, now destroyed.

Sage
10-Mar-09, 23:12
The map I found it on is:

Sheet 110
victorian Ordnance survey map
Latheron
published by Caledonian Books

I got mine from Bews in Thurso

There are 2 buildings close together and a long rectangular area, which must be the croft and beside it is the name Toftgun

Without showing you the map its roughly 1/2 way between Loch Camster and Loch of Yarehouse (now Yarrows) but a little bit further to the south. There's a path running from South Yarehouse to the croft. there's also noted a brough just to the south of the croft.

I expect it would be pretty difficult to find in the forest if you were going for a mooch, especially as its no longer there and the path doesnt show onthe landranger map.

On the Thurso & Dunbeath Landranger map 1:50,000.....
Best way I can describe is start at south yarrows on the modern map...go west over the north side of the Hill of Yarrows. If the old map is correct, look on the modern map around 43 3 27 8 (sorry rubbish at map reading) there is a stream running south that divides into 2 rivulets on the east, 3 on the west. the croft will have been atound there just before the trees.

Does that help or have I confused you more? :eek:

Bazeye
11-Mar-09, 00:56
Is there some treasure buried there?;)

roadbowler
11-Mar-09, 10:11
thanks again sage! I shall get the map your speaking of. I think there maybe some more info about its exact location in the lybster 200 book which i might find at wick library too.

Yes, i hear there is remains of a broch too.

No treasure bazeye that i know of! Lol Just lots of ancestors born, lived, worked and died there.

Bazeye
11-Mar-09, 11:34
Happy hunting. Hope you find out what youre after.

wonbat
11-Mar-09, 21:03
I went up to Toftgunn Croft about four years ago, there is two old buildings & the remains of a large animal pen, it is outside the forestry boundry fence.

It was really strange being out there so quiet & peaceful

I think i have some old photos, if i find them i will PM you

If you get the O/S map 1:25,000 it is in the v of the forest

It is part of the Thrumster Estate, try the estate manager Lance, he might be able to help more

roadbowler
15-Mar-09, 21:08
cheers wonbat! Would be greatly appreciated if you could pm any photos you could find. Thanks for your help!

raymac
19-Mar-09, 20:54
was there today

http://forum.caithness.org/photobucket.com/raymac

raymac
19-Mar-09, 20:57
http://i684.photo

roadbowler
19-Mar-09, 22:12
raymac. Your photos arent coming up for me but, yea i was there with 2 of my friends on tuesday. Was good to go out and see it. My ancestors (donaldsons) who lived there in the late 1800's are buried at the Camster cemetary and was just out there too. Nice wee place.

Sage
20-Mar-09, 00:14
Aw its great that you got there :)

Hope you had a wonderful time!