PDA

View Full Version : Rural speed limit may be reduced to 50mph

Green_not_greed
08-Mar-09, 16:30
According to AOL today, the UK Government are considering lowering the 60mph rural speed limit to 50mph on safety grounds. Would also save quite a bit on carbon emissions.

The downside is another 20minutes or so on a trip to Inverness, etc, etc.

So what do Orgers think - more Nanny State madness or a good idea if it helps promote safety and lowers CO2 emissions?

EDDIE
08-Mar-09, 16:37
According to AOL today, the UK Government are considering lowering the 60mph rural speed limit to 50mph on safety grounds. Would also save quite a bit on carbon emissions.

The downside is another 20minutes or so on a trip to Inverness, etc, etc.

So what do Orgers think - more Nanny State madness or a good idea if it helps promote safety and lowers CO2 emissions?

Why design a car so it can achieve 100mph and above if u cant drive at the speed legally its stupid really when u think about it and in this day in age its very easy to restrict cars to a certain speed limit its just a bit of software thats all thats needed i sometimes wonder if its going to come to that yet

Kodiak
08-Mar-09, 16:44
This is not new as over 4 years ago the government was talking about this, but Talking only and it never got past that stage. In 2006 Direct Line was calling on the Government to reduce the Rural Speed Limit to 40MPH.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/5236358.stm

This has been an on going debate for many years and I doubt that it will get any further than a debate.

I have checked BBC Press Release, BBC Breaking News, BBC News, Telegraph Breaking News, ITN Breaking News and none of these have anything new.

Green_not_greed
08-Mar-09, 16:48
This is not new as over 4 years ago the government was talking about this, but Talking only and it never got past that stage. In 2006 Direct Line was calling on the Government to reduce the Rural Speed Limit to 40MPH.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/5236358.stm

This has been an on going debate for many years and I doubt that it will get any further than a debate.

I have checked BBC Press Release, BBC Breaking News, BBC News, Telegraph Breaking News, ITN Breaking News and none of these have anything new.

I had also checked on BBC sites but the only one I can find carrying the "story" was AOL News.

Politicians are good at talking. Its one of their better points.

Aaldtimer
08-Mar-09, 16:51
See here:- http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/latestnews/Drive-to-cut-rural-speed.5050172.jp

Green_not_greed
08-Mar-09, 16:52
Why design a car so it can achieve 100mph and above if u cant drive at the speed legally its stupid really when u think about it and in this day in age its very easy to restrict cars to a certain speed limit its just a bit of software thats all thats needed i sometimes wonder if its going to come to that yet

Eddie - by a stroke of luck several years ago I was given an Alfa Romeo Spider as a hire car as they were all out of the hire car category I had booked. Didn't take me lomg to find it had a speed limiter fitted. A quick read of the handbook told me how to reset it to a higher speed, which I did and then had a lot of fun! There are ways round everything if you read the manual, or understand how it works, or can phone a friend...

Gene Hunt
08-Mar-09, 17:14
Saw this in the Times this morning .. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5864847.ece

Would never have guessed that if it goes ahead it will be policed by .. wait for it .. more speed cameras !! .. what a shocker.

This Goverment needs to be got rid of soonest, I am sick of their nanny state mentality.

Green_not_greed
08-Mar-09, 17:23
This Goverment needs to be got rid of soonest, I am sick of their nanny state mentality.

Completely agree.

[Love the name BTW! Was a huge fan of Life on Mars. Could do with more Gene Hunts to sort out this mess that is the UK]

MadPict
08-Mar-09, 17:53
Godammit, as if travelling behind some doddery old fool in his Toyota Yaris doing 35mph regardless of the speed limit isn't infuriating enough now the flaming Goverment are going to make us waste time and fuel on perfectly good open stretches of road...

weeboyagee
08-Mar-09, 19:21
Godammit, as if travelling behind some doddery old fool in his Toyota Yaris doing 35mph regardless of the speed limit isn't infuriating enough
You got caught behind him too???

Thoroughly agree - I just got the car on the road following the winter storage period (salt is a killer!) and the thought of having to reduce the speed would get my blood boiling. Nothing to do with wrong mind-set and speed - all to do with Big Brother mentallity - yet again.

WBG :cool:

Rheghead
08-Mar-09, 19:50
I'm not in favour of a blanket reduction in the National speed limit but I would like to see a drastic increase in 50 mph zoning around trouble spots.

Gene Hunt
08-Mar-09, 20:05
I'm not in favour of a blanket reduction in the National speed limit but I would like to see a drastic increase in 50 mph zoning around trouble spots.

That's a sensible idea if its sensibly done.

The problem there is what defines a trouble spot ??, in a lot of instances its a case of "we can put a camera there and make some cash" In my view there is a lot of anti motorist hysteria about, New Labour wont be happy until we are all back on horses I reckon.

Road safety is a two way street. I am sick to death of driving through my village and having some idiot "chance it" and just run out into a gap in the traffic instead of waiting at a the crossing. There have been three people knocked down in the last year or so at a known "hot spot" not far from me, in two of those cases witnesses said they just had a quick look and ran out in front of the car. Does that make the stretch of road dangerous ??, not in my view. Not all accidents are the fault of the person behind the wheel and a lot of accidents are down to pedestrians being daft.

Fud
08-Mar-09, 20:22
Seems to me it's just another sign of the "Enjoyment Police" finding something else to latch on to.
What is the point of a 50 mph speed limit in the middle of nowhere? ;)

percy toboggan
08-Mar-09, 20:28
Godammit, as if travelling behind some doddery old fool in his Toyota Yaris doing 35mph regardless of the speed limit isn't infuriating enough ......

Yes...it's almost as disconcerting as being in front of an impatient young pratt in a souped up Subaru who is aching to get past and sat right up yer chuff.

Passing 'doddery' old men should not present a problem and can be accomplished safely with patience - a commodity we all need if we are to claim 'good driver' status.

No Government would contemplate such a speed limit reduction measures so close to an election. AOL news is not the oracle.

hails4
08-Mar-09, 20:42
we'd all be taken buses if they had their way

MadPict
08-Mar-09, 20:51
Passing 'doddery' old men should not present a problem and can be accomplished safely with patience - a commodity we all need if we are to claim 'good driver' status.

When the roads are unnecessarily daubed with double white lines, hatched areas, speed choke points, et al that doddery old fart is like a rolling road block.

Maybe they should adopt the SNP idea for alcohol and charge OAPs more for every year over 65 that they drive for road tax and fuel than us young whipper snappers in our scoobie doos.....

percy toboggan
08-Mar-09, 21:10
One wonders why the old trumper in the Yaris might be paying half or less for his insurance than said whappersnipper (if he's paying at all) in his 'Scooby doo' - I've not heard that rhyming slang before. I think those Imprezzas are quite nasty but bland looking motors and I'd rather have a Yaris anyday - Verso preferred :-)

Green_not_greed
08-Mar-09, 21:43

Actually that is the basis of much of the AOL article - a reduction at trouble spots.

gleeber
08-Mar-09, 21:46
I could easily support any government who would consider something like this. Speed kills yet no one wants to do anything about it because itll take an extra 20 minutes to get to Inverness. 20 mph is fast enough to be driving around built up areas. Cameras would be the best bet. Theres cameras everywhere as it is so it wouldnt take much to convert them to speed cameras. A different attitude is needed too. When I was younger drink driving was seen as a bit of a laugh but now we condemn it. I feel we have a similar attitude with speed.
Speedings still seen as a bit of a joke in the UK and I do it at times too but do you want to save lives or do you want to get to Inverness quicker?

tomacomen
08-Mar-09, 22:15
it really does seem a stupid idea considering that modern cars run most efficiently around the 60mph mark. thats not just a claim either, its engineering ;)

mabye they should get some of the old crowd who canny see, refuse to go over 20mph in town and 30mph in the country, refuse to learn how to use roundabouts and other junctions and then claim to know how to drive!

Tristan
09-Mar-09, 00:08
By rural roads I assume they mean B roads - makes sense. Why can you go 60 on those roads but only 70 on a M road. Something does not add up.
Either raise the M road limit or lower the B road...makes more sense to lower some of the single track B roads.

Rheghead
09-Mar-09, 05:57
Actually that is the basis of much of the AOL article - a reduction at trouble spots.

Did the article mention that the move would reduce CO2 emissions or was that bit your own angle on things? I'm not so sure about that if that is the case because most vehicle manuals that I've come across claim they are most economical in the 50-60mph range.

Having said that, if the national speed limit was reduced then it would close the performance gap between which hydrogen powered vehicles and petrol/diesel cars can operate so possibly making the former more appealing to consumers.

Green_not_greed
09-Mar-09, 10:03
Did the article mention that the move would reduce CO2 emissions or was that bit your own angle on things? I'm not so sure about that if that is the case because most vehicle manuals that I've come across claim they are most economical in the 50-60mph range.

The AOL article doesn't seem to be available anymore, but the SoS article was very similar. It said

"New research by the Department for Transport has found that reducing the speed limit could save 200 to 250 lives a year and also reduce carbon emissions."

So I guess it depends on whether you are a believer in Government propaganda, or not.

Bad Manners
09-Mar-09, 12:20
On average most people drive with common sence and while they may go slightly over the limit on the odd occasion on the whole they are safe drivers. the majority of accidents caused by speed are buy drivers than either dont know how to drive properly or just downright dont care.
The lowering of the speed limits would not affect these people.
the one that are hell bent on driving like lunatics will do so regardless of the speed limit. At present the limit is 60 and they dont adhere to that so lowering it would be futile.
More effort should be made in making the built up areas safer but trafic calming measures. We live in a small village where the speed limit is 30
however as it is on a straight stretch of road they just continue throught the village at high speed.
i think more should be done to solve these type of problems than just doing a blanket speed that most would ignore

bish667
09-Mar-09, 14:34
On average most people drive with common sence and while they may go slightly over the limit on the odd occasion on the whole they are safe drivers. the majority of accidents caused by speed are buy drivers than either dont know how to drive properly or just downright dont care.
The lowering of the speed limits would not affect these people.
the one that are hell bent on driving like lunatics will do so regardless of the speed limit. At present the limit is 60 and they dont adhere to that so lowering it would be futile.
More effort should be made in making the built up areas safer but trafic calming measures. We live in a small village where the speed limit is 30
however as it is on a straight stretch of road they just continue throught the village at high speed.
i think more should be done to solve these type of problems than just doing a blanket speed that most would ignore

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

Vistravi
09-Mar-09, 16:01
Seems to me it's just another sign of the "Enjoyment Police" finding something else to latch on to.
What is the point of a 50 mph speed limit in the middle of nowhere? ;)

Exactly. There are some people who belive that 30 to 40mph is fast enough and of course everyoen gets stuck behind them[evil]

Geeso What is the point in having a open road and having to crawl at 50mph. 60mph is good enough.

Do the goverment honestly think that lowering the speed limit on rural roads is going to do anything?! There isn't normally anything on a rural road that can cuase danger anyway apart from cars and stupid drivers. The castletown to thurso ropad is a prime example of stupid drivers. Lord knows how many accidents have taken place on that road over the last few years due to stupid drivers.

Stupid drivers or not there is no need to reduce the speed limit when there are loads of drivers out there are sensibly and always weigh up the risks before doing something.

TBH
09-Mar-09, 16:08
They should fit all cars with governors that restrict the speed to the maximum speed limit in Britain.

scrumpysteve
09-Mar-09, 16:15
They should fit all cars with governors that restrict the speed to the maximum speed limit in Britain.
I think it would be a good idea to have radio controlled governers which automatically slow cars to the appropriate speed limit. Fix them into the speed cameras. As you come into range it slows you down and after passing it releases the governer.

Or am I being too ironic?

TBH
09-Mar-09, 16:21
I think it would be a good idea to have radio controlled governers which automatically slow cars to the appropriate speed limit. Fix them into the speed cameras. As you come into range it slows you down and after passing it releases the governer.

Or am I being too ironic?Satellite or radio controlled governors could be potentially deadly if slowing down a car at an inappropriate moment.
I was meaning a mechanical solution.

ferg
09-Mar-09, 16:40
Speed doesn't kill, bad driving and poor judgement however do. If the government actually looked at the problem properly surely they'd realise they are misguided. Prevention is better than a cure so why not raise the level of standards of driving in the country? While they continue to try and run motorbikes off the road nothing much has changed in regards to cars. Why don't they try and tackle this? If they made the process of learning how to drive much longer and more relevant to the actual driving we do the roads would be a much safer and happier place to be.
I think the constant highlighting of "speed" is incredibly short sighted and completely fails to see the real problem. But in saying that I am all for speed cameras outside every school and 20mph limits in built up areas.
My Dad reckons every road user should spend a year on a small underpowered bike, by the end of it you are so much more aware of all the dangers that are out there and also the frailty of your own life!

bish667
09-Mar-09, 18:28
Satellite or radio controlled governors could be potentially deadly if slowing down a car at an inappropriate moment.
I was meaning a mechanical solution.

Problem is a lot of cars have a mechanical speed limiter on them but there will always be ways to remove them.
Plus imagine how much it would cost the government installing them on all existing and new cars. But knowing the government they would just force us to pay for it or we wouldnt be allowed to have the car on the road.

tootler
09-Mar-09, 19:58
A different attitude is needed too. When I was younger drink driving was seen as a bit of a laugh but now we condemn it. I feel we have a similar attitude with speed.
Speedings still seen as a bit of a joke in the UK and I do it at times too but do you want to save lives or do you want to get to Inverness quicker?

:roll: I tire of most people's cavalier attitude towards driving. Driving is a very convenient way to get from A to B if you can do it safely, but it's not safe unless everyone takes their responsibilities seriously. That means staying sober and driving within the speed limit. All the orgers here who are boasting about speeding as though it's a good laugh should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

There would be no need to reduce speed limits if people actually stuck to them. Personally, I think you should lose your licence if you get caught speeding - there's no excuse. By speeding you are setting a very bad example to the many, many inexperienced drivers behind you who only think they can drive safely at speed - they don't find out until it's too late - they die - and it's all because of the example you have set.

Just slow down, guys, and chill - life's fast enough.:roll:

George Brims
09-Mar-09, 20:33
There isn't normally anything on a rural road that can cuase danger anyway apart from cars and stupid drivers.
When I was in high school, an older pupil was killed by hitting a cow in the dark. A few years later, I almost went the same way - a completely black stirk in the middle of the road - fortunately his eyes reflected the headlights. I was 18, and let's just say I was not quite obeying the speed limit.

There are also lots of blind corners on country roads, and slow-moving farm vehicles lurking just round them, or waiting to come out in front of you.

But I agree, the main thing is people driving stupidly, and a blanket speed limit change may do little to sort them.

gleeber
09-Mar-09, 20:45
I must admit I'm not convinced even though the org seems to have a multitude of wonder drivers. It's odd how the idiots all seem to be coming the other way.
A blanket ban may not stop speeding but something that would stop it would be a blanket change of attitude by a majority of drivers and a darn lot of them here on the org.

George Brims
09-Mar-09, 22:58
It's odd how the idiots all seem to be coming the other way.
To quote George Carlin, anyone going slower in front of you is a moron, and the guy coming up behind faster than you is a maniac.

Dog-eared
10-Mar-09, 00:20
Perhaps the lower limit is OK in England ( assuming its a UK thing ) where your'e never far from a major road or dual carriageway.
To drive down the low-traffic road between Fort William and Thurso within 50mph is nonsense. A lot of the roads in the North west are very good, wide open and low traffic , but are a long way from an
"A "road.
Speed limits where necessary is a better way to go.

Better driving education would help.

Aaldtimer
10-Mar-09, 03:48
I remember reading a quote in the Reader's Digest what must be 30-odd years ago which I found quite apposite:-
"It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but only one behind the steering wheel to spread them all over the road." :(

weeboyagee
10-Mar-09, 19:43
When the roads are unnecessarily daubed with double white lines, hatched areas, speed choke points, et al that doddery old fart is like a rolling road block.

Maybe they should adopt the SNP idea for alcohol and charge OAPs more for every year over 65 that they drive for road tax and fuel than us young whipper snappers in our scoobie doos.....
Absolute classic! I nearly fell off my seat reading that - it's exactly what it's like! Bends in the road that they take at 20mph, speeding up on a straight, braking for a rabbit - they're a total liability! By the way - I'm talking at the over 110-year olds ;) and as for Sunday after lunch and dinner - sheech - don't get me started! :D

weeboyagee
10-Mar-09, 19:46

Having said that, if the national speed limit was reduced then it would close the performance gap between which hydrogen powered vehicles and petrol/diesel cars can operate so possibly making the former more appealing to consumers.
You know this Rheggers - I can't stand it when you're so damn sensible! What car do you drive? Citreon C5 classic? :D

davie
10-Mar-09, 20:23
Absolute classic! I nearly fell off my seat reading that - it's exactly what it's like! Bends in the road that they take at 20mph, speeding up on a straight, braking for a rabbit - they're a total liability! By the way - I'm talking at the over 110-year olds ;) and as for Sunday after lunch and dinner - sheech - don't get me started! :D

Now look you here weeboygie !. When you have been driving for 73 years and never had an accident or a new set of brake shoes in that time then you can talk.
My wee Morris 8 gets to Inverness from here at Kinbrace in less than 5 hours and that is fast enough for anyone. I never have a problem between here and Helmsdale but after that its like the dodgem cars with all yon Caithness cheils hurrying, hurrying, blowing the horn and waving to me . I dont think I even met most of them. As I said I have never needed even a set of brake shoes or even tyres in all the time I have had this car and that is because I am a good and careful driver. And shes good for another 20 odd years if I am spared.
So after putting you right about driving on the A9 and elsewhere I have to say that 50 miles an hour is far to fast for most of you cheils and 35 would be about right.

TBH
10-Mar-09, 22:47
Problem is a lot of cars have a mechanical speed limiter on them but there will always be ways to remove them.
Plus imagine how much it would cost the government installing them on all existing and new cars. But knowing the government they would just force us to pay for it or we wouldnt be allowed to have the car on the road.They can remove them all they want but if they are caught speeding then they could look forward to being banned sine die for tampering with the system. That is the least they deserve.
Lowering speed limits wont make a blind bit of difference because you will always get those that are willing to break that limit no matter what it is set at.
The cost of the governor would be passed to the consumer no matter whether it was fitted during production or after the fact.

Iris
11-Mar-09, 18:47
Transit van type vehicles are already limited to 50 on single carriageway roads and 60 on duals. Motorways are still 70 though. How many vans do you see obeying this limit?

New here by the way. Hello everyone.

Rheghead
11-Mar-09, 20:05
Transit van type vehicles are already limited to 50 on single carriageway roads and 60 on duals.

I'll take your word for it but I thought they were allowed up to 60 on single roads.:confused

MadPict
11-Mar-09, 20:33
Parade Maker
(n). A driver and/or car that goes consistently under the speed limit, causing a backup of 20+ cars, creating frustration and your ability to be where you want to be on time. (urban dictionary)

GetWithTheTimes
12-Mar-09, 14:59
I'm not a driver but i cannot see the point in speed restrictions getting tighter and tighter if people want to speed they will its not restrictions on speed we need its restrictions on the people who get licenses i know plenty of safe drivers that go that little bit faster than they should but they are good drivers and can handle the vehicle and are sensible, everyone else in the country shouldn't have to suffer at the stupidity of boy racers and moron's who don't pay attention when driving, too many people in this world are being restricted and laws tightened on them because of idiots if people can't drive responsibly don't give them licenses and if they drive recklessly take the license away for a long time and have a rigorous thorough retest costing a lot more money for when they can get it back

because of idiots too much things have been changed its about time we restricted the idiots not the people

sgc
12-Mar-09, 15:40
If you feel strongly about it, sign the petition here:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/

GetWithTheTimes
12-Mar-09, 15:48
If you feel strongly about it, sign the petition here:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/

signed thanks for the link :)