PDA

View Full Version : Why do they call Sunday the day of rest

MasterSplinter
08-Mar-09, 13:53
Dont know if its just me but im always busy on a sunday, with things to do around the house, stuff to get ready for tomorrow, and barely get a chance to sit and do nothing.
So why do we always say its the day of rest, the only person resting is god, if you believe that.:confused
Anyone else find they do more on a sunday than you would probably like to be doing

ShelleyCowie
08-Mar-09, 13:56
I do just as much on a sunday as any other day, multiple loads o washin, dishes, hooverin etc etc...

But my OH's family are quite religous and believe it is a day of rest, when we were in Skye staying with his granny we went fishing on the Sunday, she wasna best pleased because its un-heard of til do that. [lol] I caught a fish tho!:Razz

MasterSplinter
08-Mar-09, 13:57
I do just as much on a sunday as any other day, multiple loads o washin, dishes, hooverin etc etc...

But my OH's family are quite religous and believe it is a day of rest, when we were in Skye staying with his granny we went fishing on the Sunday, she wasna best pleased because its un-heard of til do that. [lol] I caught a fish tho!:Razz

Did you have a loaf[lol]

ShelleyCowie
08-Mar-09, 14:02
Did you have a loaf[lol]

I did, when we got back to my OH's grannys! :eek: I think i might be...oh no i better not say it!

mrs and mr brown
08-Mar-09, 14:09
i know what everyone feels like, sunday is the only day i have off so i spend it cleaning the house endless lods of washing and cooking the sunday roast yum yum, generaly geting ready for the week to come,

Blondie
08-Mar-09, 14:10
Were there many for lunch? :lol:

MasterSplinter
08-Mar-09, 14:12

She needs more fish:lol:[lol]

Shabbychic
08-Mar-09, 14:22
Apparently,God built the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th. The Christians decided this day would be a Sunday. Well actually it was never mentioned until 220AD by a guy called Origen Adamantius, an early Christian scholar.

Gizmo
08-Mar-09, 14:28
Apparently,God built the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th.

Pah...typical cowboy builder, rush a big job and make a complete erse of it :p

MasterSplinter
08-Mar-09, 14:30
Apparently,God built the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th. The Christians decided this day would be a Sunday. Well actually it was never mentioned until 220AD by a guy called Origen Adamantius, an early Christian scholar.

Is this the same book that talks about Adam being the father of all, made in the image of god and lived for 840yrs;)

MasterSplinter
08-Mar-09, 14:32

Well its always been said man was made from the likeness off god
Doomed from the start[lol]

Shabbychic
08-Mar-09, 14:41

Now, if he knew he would get double time for a Sunday, things might have been very different.:D

Gizmo
08-Mar-09, 14:50
Now, if he knew he would get double time for a Sunday, things might have been very different.:D

Good reason to become a priest, you work one day a week and get double time for it, maybe the church is not as stupid as i first thought :lol: but maybe if they stopped paying priests double time they could stop scrounging money off the public to fix their roofs :p

ShelleyCowie
08-Mar-09, 15:03
If i had known i was gonna get double time on the sunday i would o kept building to improve the world! ;) Yes...god is a woman. [lol]

mrs and mr brown
08-Mar-09, 15:28

no just the 3 of us lol, ill invite you all next sunday cant beat my roast its like xmas dinner, yum yum.

mrs and mr brown
08-Mar-09, 15:29
She needs more fish:lol:[lol]

couldnt get fresh fish im afraid pitty, love a fresh bit of haddock!! ummm with lemon..

Gizmo
08-Mar-09, 15:41
Yes...god is a woman. [lol]

That pretty much explains everything :D

davie
08-Mar-09, 16:05
You are really are terribly irreverant people.
Now the true story, and please correct me if I get this wrong,
is that God laboured for 5 days to make Caithness, he spent 1 day on the rest of the world and took the day off on Sunday.

That was my slant on it - here is another theory, courtesy of "Castlegreen" :

Till mak e world in 6 short days,
E good Lord did contrive,
He spent wan day on Kaitness,
and did e rest in five.
An fan he'd feeneeshed id aal off,
An blessed id wi Hees bounty,
He looked owld Kaitness ower and sayed,
Ats fit A'd call a county".

Green_not_greed
08-Mar-09, 16:56
Well actually it was never mentioned until 220AD by a guy called Origen Adamantius, an early Christian scholar.

My O/H was a big fan of his. Particularly liked Ant Rap.

Shabbychic
08-Mar-09, 17:11
My O/H was a big fan of his. Particularly liked Ant Rap.

I prefered Prince Charming myself.:)

Vistravi
08-Mar-09, 19:23
I work most every sunday always have. Time and a half for me;)

To be honest i would think that if you had a day of rest on a sunday that it would become very boring after a couple of weeks.

But then again i tend to get bored in the house after the household chores are done and that's most days. the way i see it, if you clean as you go and do the cothes washing everyday you don't have to worry bout catching up and detoxing the house. :eek: Mind you i don't like cleaning and i can think of so many better things to do than clean all day long and fret bout the littlest bit of mess. I'd rather go and visit one of my mates or my family. My partner is a bit of clean freak but it's cos his mother frets bout cleaning and deos it during the day everyday. Too much for me[lol]

canuck
08-Mar-09, 19:31
Good reason to become a priest, you work one day a week and get double time for it

Yah! Sure!

catran
08-Mar-09, 21:51
The Orgers never fail to amaze me. Surely everyone should observe the God's day of rest unless they have to go to work or feed animals ect

Washing day, cleaning day ect there are other six days in the week and no one should scoff at the word of the Lord

I am not a bible thumping person neither am I a regular church goer but I do draw the line when one scoff's .

gleeber
08-Mar-09, 21:58
There's something good about having a day of rest. Thats what wrong with us. We have no time to take time off. :confused
I went through a spell of treating Sunday as a day off, not so much a day of rest. Its good. I still try and get a day off most weeks.

MasterSplinter
08-Mar-09, 22:09
[quote=catran;515466]The Orgers never fail to amaze me. Surely everyone should observe the God's day of rest unless they have to go to work or feed animals ect

Washing day, cleaning day ect there are other six days in the week and no one should scoff at the word of the Lord

I am not a bible thumping person neither am I a regular church goer but I do draw the line when one scoff's .[/quote

But its not the word of the lord, its the words of someone who wrote a version of events.We are not all believers in the "supposed lord" so i suppose we could just choose another day of the week to call rest day, for the non believers of course.

joxville
09-Mar-09, 00:38
I worked overtime this weekend, 8am-6pm both days. I'll observe the Lord's day of rest if any religion is willing to help with my bills.

sweetpea
09-Mar-09, 00:48
Sunday is just another day to me. One of the busiest of the week, I've just sat down:roll:

Anne x
09-Mar-09, 01:20
It actually depends on how you were brought up and what you believe in

My mother prepared all her Sunday dinners on a Sat night the Aroma was wonderful Soup simmering Chicken if we could afford it Jelly setting for next day her Listening I hasten to add to Scottish dance music on the radio
she would never put out washing or dare to clean her windows on a Sunday it was a day of rest for her thank goodness

I went to Sunday School every Sunday walks with my dad after lunch a great time and I will always treasure that times forever and the butterscotch

yeh in our chaotic world at bathtime on a Sunday night at 7am mayhem with all siblings fighting for who is first or last
Im quite sure the day of rest has ended for our mother

sweetpea
09-Mar-09, 01:26
It actually depends on how you were brought up and what you believe in

My mother prepared all her Sunday dinners on a Sat night the Aroma was wonderful Soup simmering Chicken if we could afford it Jelly setting for next day her Listening I hasten to add to Scottish dance music on the radio
she would never put out washing or dare to clean her windows on a Sunday it was a day of rest for her thank goodness

I went to Sunday School every Sunday walks with my dad after lunch a great time and I will always treasure that times forever and the butterscotch

yeh in our chaotic world at bathtime on a Sunday night at 7am mayhem with all siblings fighting for who is first or last
Im quite sure the day of rest has ended for our mother

I mind as a kid getting called in for my bath and legging it as far as I could. Bath would be in the kitchen sink! Failing that if I was indoors, them tune to Antiques Roadshow meant back to school next day:( My granny used to do the soup routine but it was Monday nights after she did her all day washing marathon with the twin tub, lol, lol brings back memories...