PDA

View Full Version : Identidy theft

oldmarine
07-Mar-09, 22:15
Has anyone suffered identity theft? I did when my bank credit cards did not reach me by mail. Someone else got them and must have sold my identity to others. It was discovered when 3 ladies were discovered using my account on line to gamble. My Bank of America helped me to get it stopped. They also found two other locations in two different states applying for credit cards using my name. I hope I have that stopped.

teenybash
07-Mar-09, 23:46
Has anyone suffered identity theft? I did when my bank credit cards did not reach me by mail. Someone else got them and must have sold my identity to others. It was discovered when 3 ladies were discovered using my account on line to gamble. My Bank of America helped me to get it stopped. They also found two other locations in two different states applying for credit cards using my name. I hope I have that stopped.

Lets hope it doesn't happen again and you have put a stop to it all.
I received a scam email today from Paypal saying by debit card was just about to expire and to update............Luckily I reported it to Paypal who verified it was a phishing email.

oldmarine
08-Mar-09, 01:48
Lets hope it doesn't happen again and you have put a stop to it all.
I received a scam email today from Paypal saying by debit card was just about to expire and to update............Luckily I reported it to Paypal who verified it was a phishing email.

teenybash: You made a wise decision. I have received email like that many times re: Paypal plus others. There are all kinds of crooks waiting to jump on you if given the opportunity.

kriklah
08-Mar-09, 10:02
a number of years back i received a letter from a debt collection agency for a bill with a catalogue id never had an account with. after a few phone calls to agency, then catalogue, i found out someone at a previous address (where i hadnt lived for 6 years!!) had used my name to open an account with the catalogue and run up a bill, never paying for the goods. they tracked me down by sending the letter to my Bro-in-Laws address, as with the same surname his address appears before mine in the phone book. they were very understanding, particutlay since i could prove id not lived at the other address for years, and was given the all clear. i never found out the outcome of whether they caught the fraudster, but the old address was in a naval married quarters estate, and i contacted the relevant people in the navy informing them of the situation. since they will have a record of who lived there after me, theres a good chance someone got done for it!!

another incident - similar circumstances, years before that, someone at another old address used oh's name to order cds, but they werent in when postie tried to deliver so he put a card though the door. the landlords who lived downstairs forwarded the card on to us, so i went to post office to collect, then contacted the cd company and police. also contacted the old landloards, (they were less than helpful, no way was their tenent likely to have done such a thing!), again, no idea what happend after, but just goes to show how easy it is for someone to use your name (and screw up you credit rating!)

balto
08-Mar-09, 13:03
this happened to my elder sister at the start of last year, her catalouges, credit card were used, and taken to their max, it turned ut it was someone in the call centre of one of the catalouges, thankfully she got it sorted out.

Melancholy Man
08-Mar-09, 16:16
Let me once again, reiterate that a certain pharmacy in Thurso was the object of a Nigerian e-mail scam.

kitty kat
08-Mar-09, 22:50
just last week on a phone call to the council they asked why my tax credits was listed as an address in southsea ???????? they said it was changed last year i have never lived in southsea

to have my tax credits letters being sent to that address (i was still recieving the money in my bank ) is very worrying the woman i phoned said she could see the address had been changed but could not see any note in my records saying why or when :confused

bekisman
08-Mar-09, 23:05
Scottish pharmacy embroiled in suspected investment scam

(Re melancholy Man's mention:)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/scottish-pharmacy-embroiled-in-suspected-investment-scam-576932.html

A tiny chemist's shop in the far north of Scotland has been unwittingly embroiled in an alleged multimillion pound fraud by Nigerian conmen.
Staff at Sutherland's the Chemist in Thurso, Caithness, have been inundated with phone calls and visits from unsuspecting victims who had been promised they would inherit a multimillion-pound oil company in return for a fee of thousands of pounds.
CTB Private Bank, which also trades as Continental Trust Bank, claims to hold more than £30bn on behalf of some 70,000 clients worldwide, making it the 10th biggest bank in the UK.
The address given for the bank, which falsely claims to be regulated by the Financial Services Authority, is that of the chemist's.
As officers from Northern Constabulary continued to investigate the bank, one victim, Arlen Hughes from Wyoming in the United States, said that he had been fooled into thinking that he would inherit $41m (£23.5m) if he paid $57,000.
"I received a telephone call form a fella in Nigeria saying that I had inherited an oil company," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. He added: "They were very professional. I found a registered number in Scotland and so the researches I had found led me to believe they were on the uppity-up.
"So when I began to deal with them I believed they were legitimate."
Although CTB is registered with Companies House, and lists as its headquarters the address of a house in the village of Castletown five miles east of Thurso, it has never filed accounts and is set to be dissolved and struck off the register within weeks.
A spokesman for Northern Constabulary said: "We are working with a number of other forces and agencies within the UK in an effort to establish the identity of the people behind this company."
The force had received complaints from as far a field as Norway, New Zealand and the United States, the spokesman added.

The old adage of "there's one born every minute" holds true here..

piratelassie
09-Mar-09, 02:09
Used my bank card between Inverness and aberdeen.My identidy must have been stolen somewhere along the line.A couple of weeks later money was taken out of my account three times, totaling over fourteen hundred pounds. Luckily the bank cottoned on to this as the withdrawels were down in middle England, and I got my money refunded. This was a few years ago and thankfully it has'nt happened again...as I do use plastic for most things (and they do tell us its secure) [disgust]

jay
09-Mar-09, 11:24
our current account was used by someone to buy a £100 voucher from Play.com - fortunately I checked for payment of a bill that morning and noticed the discrepancy, the card was immediately cancelled and the bank reimbursed us within a couple of weeks. Play.com did nothing - since the voucher was sent by email I felt the least they could have done was cancelled the code on it so that no one could use it!

Penelope Pitstop
09-Mar-09, 11:57
We had our credit card "cloned" in Tenerife. Credit card company phoned us about a month after we got back to ask if we had withdrawn money in Tenerife in the last couple of days!! We got our money back OK.

The card was only half out of our sight for 30 seconds when the waiter at the restaurant "forgot" to give it back to us once we had paid our bill (went after him for it). I knew it was dodgy at the time and had phoned the credit card company that night.

About 8 years ago the people in the next house down from us were trying to open a credit card in OH name. Only knew when the postie delivered the mail to us instead of them. I notified the police who came round and took statements and told us that we shouldn't have opened the mail as our address wasn't on it....what!!!!!!!!!!

cazmanian_minx
09-Mar-09, 15:48
Both my business credit cards (2 different card companies) got used fraudulently within 6 days of each other a couple of weeks back. There are only 3 places where both cards have been used, so the card issuers are trying to track down the culprit, but I'm not holding my breath. I did wonder if it was a breach on my PC, but my personal cards are fine and I've run four different AV/AS pieces of software over the computer, all of which say it's clean.

balto
09-Mar-09, 16:01
just before we moved i filled out my sons enrolment forms for nursery, and i put it all back in the folder including his birth certificate so i could just pop it into the school, i left it with other important bits, so they would all be kept together during the move, anyway after we moved i decided to go and hand it into the school, but couldnt find it, so i asked my oh where he had put it, only to be told in the bin except it wasnt our bin, he was also putting rubbish in his familys bins. My god my heart was in my mouth, cause really if someone has a birth certificate they can really use it to commit fraud, not to say i tore strips of him for being so careless. Thankfully, our 2nd bin was taken down to our new house, and i went to put rubbish in it one day, only to find my playstation, but then i spotted the orange folder the nursery forms were in, so thanfully in my case it worked out ok, but just goes to show how easy it happen, you can never be to careful.