PDA

View Full Version : More Banks Scams

Tugmistress
07-Mar-09, 16:17
I've copied this from the northern constabulary press release, i've had 2 such calls in the last 3 weeks, so please be very careful!

Police issue warning to bank account holders not to disclose personal information

Issued: 6 Mar 2009
NORTHERN Constabulary is warning the public to take care of their personal banking information.
A number of people in the Inverness area have recently been contacted unexpectedly by telephone, and by email trying to induce them to impart personal and banking details.
Under no circumstances should any details be given, as Banks themselves advise they would never contact individuals in this manner.
Constable Malcolm Raeburn, Community Safety Officer at Burnett Road said: "Under no circumstances should you impart personal or banking details to any person asking for it, either by way of telephone or email. If you have any doubt you should independently contact your bank to clarify any query that may have been raised."
Northern Constabulary can be contacted at 01463 715555 or Crimestoppers at 0800 555111.

davie
07-Mar-09, 20:30
Thank you Madame Tugmistress for the 'heads up'.

This type of scam has been ongoing for a while and the public need to be continually made aware of it. These crooks can easily give you a false sense of security and they only need to con one poor soul to make a days wages.

I have never (yet) had a scam call but I do get a few real ones from a couple of banks. Plenty of funny emails but I bin them all, regardless of which bank they are meant to be from. If they really want me they can always write by snailmail.

Being an akward old sod I reply to their supposed telephone i.d. checking questions by saying that if you really are my bank you have that info already. It kind of stops them in their tracks a bit and passes some time for me !

Anyway Tugs they are picking on you cos the word is out that you have plenty !!

oldmarine
07-Mar-09, 22:39
Good advice. I've been victimized with Identity Theft as noted on another thread.

purplelady
08-Mar-09, 00:16
I had an email from my bank saying Something about my online use do not use my baNK ONLINE AND THEY WERE ASKING FOR MY BANK DETAILS JUST IGNORED IT X

butterfly
08-Mar-09, 00:33
i would never give my details out on any call,i too would tell them that my bank has all my details

Tugmistress
08-Mar-09, 06:05
yeah, i just say ok? when they say something until they ask for confirmation and i just say well if you are genuinly from my bank you will know if you are the right bank or not and they soon hang up lol

Kodiak
08-Mar-09, 13:07
What I do, as I have said in another thread, is that if I receive a Telephone Call and I do not recognise the Number I just rejet the call.

Also I have all Witheld Numbers Barred so no one can get through to me if they are phoning from a Witheld Number.

Due to this I have never had a Phishing Phone Call but I have had many many Phishing e-mail which are quickly dumped.

Bazeye
08-Mar-09, 14:37
I just say something along the lines of "Oh, theres someone at the door, wont be a minute" then just go and make a cuppa. Im not paying for the call.