PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like I Just Made it :)

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 19:49
Bang that was the sound of my washing machine on Sunday past. After a Long life it had died. It had done well and had been repaired seceral times but this was one breakdown too many and it had to go.

I contacted the council and it will be taken away next week for free. In a way I am lucky for if this had happened next month the council would have charged me £15.00.

Here is the Link and what do all you think, is £15.00 a Fair Price as it is to uplift up to three large items. Or is it way to high and perhaps they should charge say £4.00 per item. :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7928042.stm

butterfly
06-Mar-09, 20:40
well i can understand that they are getting charged per ton so its logical to pass the costs on,but 15quid is a bit steep.what if you have only 1 item? 3 Quid per item is better.

Angela
06-Mar-09, 21:35
Here in Edinburgh the charge is £20 for each uplift of 'up to 6' large items, which does unfortunately mean it's still £20 even if you have just the one item to be collected. This might explain why we so often see the odd stray sofa and wardrobe lying about where I live! :roll:

However, our council website also states that each household can have one free uplift of up to 6 items each year. :)

Must say I didn't know that until now and it's very useful to have the info, so thank you kodiak, for raising the issue and making me look it up.

4 years ago in Fife I paid £15 to have one single large item uplifted and I'd just assumed it would be the same everywhere, but I suppose each council is slightly different.

I think a charge of say £5 per item would be fairer really.

changilass
06-Mar-09, 21:39
This will encourage folks to get on with their neighours, that way they can all get rid of their large items together.

See, every could does have a silver lining and the council are doing their bit for neighbourly relations.

Hopefully this will encourage freecycle up here, atm it only comes as high as Inverness

George Brims
06-Mar-09, 22:06
Here in Edinburgh the charge is £20 for each uplift of 'up to 6' large items, which does unfortunately mean it's still £20 even if you have just the one item to be collected. This might explain why we so often see the odd stray sofa and wardrobe lying about where I live! :roll:
My daughter went to college in Santa Barbara. The students that didn't live on campus lived in a wee place called Isla Vista just to the west. It is the only town in America with a by-law prohibiting the incineration of a sofa in the street. When students moved out, large bits of furniture are often just dumped outside. Most are scavenged by others, but the really ropey looking ones that hung around for a while used to get set alight quite regularly.

George Brims
06-Mar-09, 22:07
Bang that was the sound of my washing machine on Sunday past. After a Long life it had died. It had done well and had been repaired several times but this was one breakdown too many and it had to go.
Lucky you. Don't most machines break down the week after the warranty expires?

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 22:36
Lucky you. Don't most machines break down the week after the warranty expires?

LOL Yes this does happen. I have had this particular machine for 9 years and the last repair my wife did. What happened was that a 20p piece got stuck in the drum and it it made a hole and it leaked water all over the floor. Mrs Kodiak took the machine to bits and sealed the hole with Car Filler. It worked and has lasted for nearly 2 years so I cant complain.

I now have a new machine and I hope this one lasts as long as the last one :D