PDA

View Full Version : Alert of computer virus!!!!!!!!

Goldie
06-Mar-09, 18:31
I just want to post this on the Org. I recieved this from a friend. I don't know how true it is however an ITC tutor has confirmed this is a true notice.

Hope we are all protected and good luck

Cheers Goldie

Hi All,
Norton Anti-Virus are gearing up for this virus!
Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!
You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.
This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive
this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.
This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.
COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT
TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 18:44
This was sent out over 2 years ago and is old hat. ;)

davie
06-Mar-09, 18:52
Have to agree with Kodiak on this one - its a load of rubbish. Your ITC tutor should start looking for another job.

Goldie
06-Mar-09, 18:52
Cheers Kodiak

I didn't hear about it back then and the first I ever heard of it was today, so maybe it took two years to get to me :lol:

All the same we best keep on our guard just it case the virus has raised it's ugly head again.

Thanks again Kodiak :)

Goldie
06-Mar-09, 18:59
Have to agree with Kodiak on this one - its a load of rubbish. Your ITC tutor should start looking for another job.

What a shame you can make a comment like you have when I was only being concerned and genuinely recieved this today and thought I would try to help :(

butterfly
06-Mar-09, 19:04
it might well come up again so you are right goldie,it pays to be on your guard.thanks goldie

davie
06-Mar-09, 19:04
No offence meant by my comment - if you have taken offence then I humbly apologise. x

Bobinovich
06-Mar-09, 20:57
Rule of thumb for any virus / scam alert is to type the offending subject line or attachment file name into Google and see what the results are - especially before forwarding the e-mail on or posting it on forums such as this. This search for 'Postcard from Hallmark' (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=POSTCARD+FROM+HALLMARK&meta=) produces a number of sites clearly stating that this is a hoax.

Anyone subsequently forwarding the e-mail is simply propogating the hoax, and may cause unnecessary worry to others who may already look at their PC as the work of the devil!

As someone who once received 19500 junk mails after a 6 day holiday, I implore anybody receiving these type of messages to do the decent thing and delete them, or even better reply to the sender with information such as that above in the hope that, eventually, the crud which litters our inboxes will be rid of!

Rant over :)!

Goldie
06-Mar-09, 21:44
Rant read.

I am sorry that I have been so stupid! I am not as well learnt as you in the computer field. I would not have propogated a hoax. I 100% thought that I had recieved a true warning, which I may add came from what I believed to be a trusted source. I am very sorry to have done the wrong thing, it was honestly meant with good intentions and I was trying to be helpful. You know something? I think this may be my 2nd starting of a thread. It actually take courage to do it because you can get hurt by the harshness of some replies. Ok I hear you, don't bother posting then, so I won't anymore. I was upset by somthing before and held off for a few weeks. Just recently picked up courage to start again

Kodiak - Thank you for letting me know and being kind about it :)

davie - Sorry

Butterfly - Thank you :) you posts are so kind and mean a lot

Bobinovich - Sorry and thank you for making me feel so stupid :(

Goodbye and thanks

TBH
06-Mar-09, 22:04
Rant read.

I am sorry that I have been so stupid! I am not as well learnt as you in the computer field. I would not have propogated a hoax. I 100% thought that I had recieved a true warning, which I may add came from what I believed to be a trusted source. I am very sorry to have done the wrong thing, it was honestly meant with good intentions and I was trying to be helpful. You know something? I think this may be my 2nd starting of a thread. It actually take courage to do it because you can get hurt by the harshness of some replies. Ok I hear you, don't bother posting then, so I won't anymore. I was upset by somthing before and held off for a few weeks. Just recently picked up courage to start again

davie - Sorry

Goodbye and thanksYou are not being stupid in trying to warn people of a possible computer virus doing the rounds.
Not everyone is clued up on these things and hoax or not, if it encourages people to be careful when opening e-mails then all the better.
So, thank you, Goldie, you did exactly the right thing and have nothing whatsoever to apologise for.

wifie
06-Mar-09, 22:09
Oh, Goldie, no-one was tryin to make you feel or look stupid! Bob would never do that - he was just explaining! Do come back and post - everyone genuine on here knew that you were just tryin to be helpful! Come on now - out of how many Orgers you got a couple of snappy replies? You, I am sure, are made of sterner stuff than this! :)

davie
06-Mar-09, 23:54
Goldie, You have absolutely no need to apologise to me. Remember I am the grumpy old man with the sarcastic comments who usually says the wrong thing at the wrong time. You need to look at the .org as a place for having a laugh with your virtual pals and dont be upset by the odd stupid crack. XXX

purplelady
07-Mar-09, 01:09
Rant read.

davie - Sorry

Goodbye and thanksdon't stop posting do not think they meant anything by it x

scorrie
07-Mar-09, 18:53
Rule of thumb for any virus / scam alert is to type the offending subject line or attachment file name into Google and see what the results are - especially before forwarding the e-mail on or posting it on forums such as this. This search for 'Postcard from Hallmark' (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=POSTCARD+FROM+HALLMARK&meta=) produces a number of sites clearly stating that this is a hoax.

Anyone subsequently forwarding the e-mail is simply propogating the hoax, and may cause unnecessary worry to others who may already look at their PC as the work of the devil!

As someone who once received 19500 junk mails after a 6 day holiday, I implore anybody receiving these type of messages to do the decent thing and delete them, or even better reply to the sender with information such as that above in the hope that, eventually, the crud which litters our inboxes will be rid of!

Rant over :)!

Snopes have listed this as a mixture of real virus warning and a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

Although this particular one is a hoax, similar instances have contained URL's that pointed to servers hosting a variety of malware.

The site advises that recipients should not use the direct link included in the email and, instead, visit the site, go to the card pick up page, and enter the id manually. If the email IS a fake, you simply won't have a card to pick up.

Seems like sensible advice. There ARE a lot of hoaxes out there, but we shouldn't get too complacent.

richman
07-Mar-09, 19:09
any one who reads that and disna realise it 's spam shudna be left in charge of a puter . :lol:

it looks lek it came fae a poster wi a japanse car name !!!

butterfly
07-Mar-09, 19:13
Goldie ,i am like you,not very computor minded yet but i am learning with all the help from the above orgers.TBH is right when saying it teaches us to be more careful and thats a good and safe thing.So come on now and come back on because i for one enjoy your posts as i am sure others do.look forward to you comng back:)

richman
07-Mar-09, 19:20
look , if this was real it would be all over the bbc news and it wudna be in beeg bold letters and CAPITALS and it wudna tell you to forward it to all your freinds , it 's spam , spam an nuthin but spam

that 's your computer lesson for today peeps .

if in doubt google it as bobinivoch says .

mums angels
07-Mar-09, 19:43
Rant read.

Kodiak - Thank you for letting me know and being kind about it

davie - Sorry

Goodbye and thanks

Ach Goldie you shouldn't ever let anyone make you feel stupid especially when you were only trying to be helpful , some people just like to look down there noses at others even when in most cases they have nothing to feel high and mighty about:lol: .

usually when i recieve email warnings i google them to see if they are genuine or not and in most cases they are not .

butterfly
07-Mar-09, 19:46
any one who reads that and disna realise it 's spam shudna be left in charge of a puter . :lol:

it looks lek it came fae a poster wi a japanse car name !!!

thats the trouble richman not everyone is aware of it,i wasnt,goldie wasnt,but hey you learn something new everyday.

Tighsonas4
07-Mar-09, 19:51
Rant read.

davie - Sorry

Goodbye and thanks
for goodness sake goldie never bother your head wi all this
i can make post and nobody replies but on here have the attitude THEY CAN PLEASE THEMSELVESwaiting for your next post tony

ShelleyCowie
07-Mar-09, 20:04
Rant read.

Kodiak - Thank you for letting me know and being kind about it

davie - Sorry

Goodbye and thanks

Oh Goldie! Dinna leave...i like ur posts! :~(

butterfly
07-Mar-09, 22:10
no thats it for goldie,i know she is not coming back and i will miss her......:~(

richman
07-Mar-09, 23:32
i didna mean til drive goldie away . she should be posative and learn from her mistake and come back and post more. ye dinna learn if ye dinna make mistake 's.