PDA

View Full Version : Warning on clumping cat litter.

teenybash
06-Mar-09, 16:41
My dear old 14 year old stag hound decided to raid the closed in litter tray and managed to eat some. The result of this was a very bad stomach with a lot of gas causing her a deal of discomfort. To cut a long story short Milk of Magnesia worked to expel said gases and dislodge cat litter, so a weekend trip to the vet was avoided. She is fine, thankfully but it serves as a warning to other pet owners that this type of litter can be lethal.
I googled for some info and found that cats can also be susceptable by breathing the dust and licking their paws.....I have moved litter tray where she cannot get into it and changed litter to wood pellets.

Just as an added note...I didn't know she could produce such under tail symphonies.......:Razz

unicorn
06-Mar-09, 18:25
Oh My, that was close :eek: just as well you noticed what had actually happened or it could have been absolutely disasterous.
I use a straw based pellet that smells of mint, I get it from the CLB. I found the wood based made a terrible mess with Tia's furry feet.

teenybash
06-Mar-09, 18:37
Thanks Unicorn I will try the litter you mention. Yes it was a nigh go with her........I was just about to ring vet, as her breathing was so bad and belly distended, when she suddenly jumped up and ran to the door. Once out everything just flew from her along with thunderous explosions!!!
I can laugh now but at the time I was just praying.
To make sure her innards are working well she gets slippery elm mixed in with her food and she now seems tip top.:)

unicorn
06-Mar-09, 18:57
So glad to hear it, it sounds like she had bloated up. I remember years ago my first boxer got one of my daughters nappies......ewwww that was a gruesome clear up :eek:

Liz
06-Mar-09, 19:59
Teenybash I am so glad that your dog is okay after his meal of cat litter!:roll:
Good old Milk of Magnesia eh?

I use Cats Best cat litter which is really good but will have a look out for the one you use Unicorn. Could you give me the name of it?

Our cat loos have a hood on them to stop Benjy going in for snacks!:eek:
I once tried Worlds Best cat litter which was made of corn but he just wanted to eat this and would lie at the door of the cat loo!

I have tried a lot of different cat litter as, as you said Teenybash, a lot of them are very dusty and can't be good for the cats to breathe in.

unicorn
06-Mar-09, 20:08
The stuff I use is not dusty whatsoever. I also have the enclosed litter tray. On the bag it says Friendly natural cat litter. It says a friendly feeds product by friendship estates ltd. I buy it in a 20kg bag and it lasts for ages and makes the shed smell nice. I think it cost about £8 but not sure.
Here is a link http://www.friendshipestates.co.uk/vmchk/friendly-natural-cat-litter/view-all-products.html

jings00
06-Mar-09, 20:17
years ago, i lived in aberdeen, and we had a cat called mince.
also had a pup. not the full shilling.
dog came through from the kitchen one evening, friend says "the dog has stolen your toffee crisp"... i didn't have a toffee crisp.
twas a cat poop covered in litter.

jean
06-Mar-09, 20:49
gosh thats scary. have you got pics of your staghound? Ive never seen one . My sister has deerhounds and a friend has wolfies. are staghounds similar?

teenybash
06-Mar-09, 22:16
gosh thats scary. have you got pics of your staghound? Ive never seen one . My sister has deerhounds and a friend has wolfies. are staghounds similar?

Hi Jean, yes I have pics but, haven't managed to get my head round how to post them.
Her father was a deerhound and the mother had a lot of wolfhound but, I think there was a wee bit of somethingelse far back.
She's a big girl and is often mistaken for a male. Just click the pic and you will see a bigger version..

jings00
07-Mar-09, 13:38
beautiful dog