PDA

View Full Version : Ta Da!

ShelleyCowie
05-Mar-09, 22:54
Well i went back to pets at home tonight and got a new cage, long story! :lol: But the gerbils are alot happier now! And now they cant chew the water bottle (i went through 3 in the end since saturday) lol.

Thanks to the staff at pets at home for your help! You know who you are ;)

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2951/dsc00832m.jpg

unicorn
05-Mar-09, 23:10
I bet they are so much happier now in a gerbilarium. They can dig until their hearts content. If you add a bit of hay in with the shavings they make even better tunnels.

Liz
05-Mar-09, 23:18
Well done Shelley for getting Gizmo and Jox such a lovely new home.

They are lucky to have such a thoughtful Mum.:D

Dadie
05-Mar-09, 23:48
The water bottle still looks chewable!
Is it enclosed in a cage?
Chinchin and Emma (the chinchillas) went through a lot of bottles until we used the spout of a water bottle in a cork inserted into an old wine bottle (they looked like old alkies though:lol:)
they couldnt chew the cork too much as the neck of the wine bottle would cover it!

ShelleyCowie
06-Mar-09, 12:39
The water bottle still looks chewable!
Is it enclosed in a cage?
Chinchin and Emma (the chinchillas) went through a lot of bottles until we used the spout of a water bottle in a cork inserted into an old wine bottle (they looked like old alkies though:lol:)
they couldnt chew the cork too much as the neck of the wine bottle would cover it!

No its not in the cage, only the metal part what they drink from is in the cage. Thankfully...i actually came down to an in-tact bottle today! :Razz

They are happily sleeping in a wee bed hidden underneath the shavings with a tube leading down!

Yes the gerbilarium makes some mess but they are happy so im not bothered! :)

Sarah
08-Mar-09, 01:33
Those are cool cages for gerbils :) I bet they love it!

butterfly
08-Mar-09, 01:34
good size of cage for them to get plenty excercise shelley:)

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2951/dsc00832m.jpg

ShelleyCowie
08-Mar-09, 12:40
good size of cage for them to get plenty excercise shelley:)

Definate exercise, watching them make their tunnels is amazing, they are working on a new tunnel right now. What a mess...but they are happy and they have the right cage now so that makes it worth all the mess [lol]

Only thing is there is no wheel in this cage, but i do let them out in the ball every day, the grey one (Jox) is not as good in the ball but Gizmo runs up and down the livingroom for about 1 1/2 hours. Even after that she is hyper...

celtic88chick
08-Mar-09, 13:47
i have 2 gerbils and made the mistake of putting in a plastic wheel with them :eek:

lets just say that after a week they could no longer run on it :lol:

teenybash
08-Mar-09, 13:59
Luxury penthouse by the look of it for Jox and Gizmo........:lol:

Blondie
08-Mar-09, 14:04
Shelley, I'm not sure gerbils should use balls. Perhaps Neepnipper will clarify?

ShelleyCowie
08-Mar-09, 14:59
Aye i thought they never but the lassie that sold me them said they might so i bought one. As i said the white one (Gizmo) loves the ball.

My lord they have dug some magnificent tunnels! The log i had in there for them, they have used it as an under-shavings tunnel. They are genius at digging. The cat is loving sitting watching them (Ignore the mess in the livin room i was in the process o cleanin :eek:)

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2069/dsc00842k.jpg

lady penelope
09-Mar-09, 00:07
A ball is great exercise, my hamster years ago loved his ball, my toddlers loved the 'football.' :eek: It took a while to convince them noooo means no, but the hamster was none the worse for it.
Then patch discovered if he smashed it off the bottom of the stairs he could escape, up the stairs! Manys a night playing 'hunt the hamster.' :roll:

neepnipper
09-Mar-09, 08:27
I think the only reason you wouldn't have a ball or wheel for a gerbil is the fear of them catching their long tails, personally I've never had a problem with balls or wheels for gerbils.

Hibeechick
09-Mar-09, 12:44
Thats the same "house" I have for my hamster. She managed to make a hole her old one when I was at work one day!

Vistravi
10-Mar-09, 21:39
Aye i thought they never but the lassie that sold me them said they might so i bought one. As i said the white one (Gizmo) loves the ball.

My lord they have dug some magnificent tunnels! The log i had in there for them, they have used it as an under-shavings tunnel. They are genius at digging. The cat is loving sitting watching them (Ignore the mess in the livin room i was in the process o cleanin :eek:)

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2069/dsc00842k.jpg

Good thing that the bars are too close together for Fintan to get his paws in ;)

ShelleyCowie
14-Mar-09, 15:47
Good thing that the bars are too close together for Fintan to get his paws in ;)

Well Gizmo is some wee daredevil! She will stick her face out the bars as far as she can if fintan is there, he will go up and sniff her then she nips his nose and hides!! [lol]

Vistravi
14-Mar-09, 16:06
Well Gizmo is some wee daredevil! She will stick her face out the bars as far as she can if fintan is there, he will go up and sniff her then she nips his nose and hides!! [lol]

[lol] She's got the right idea. Keep him on his toes;)