PDA

View Full Version : Lights in the Sky

neilsermk1
05-Mar-09, 22:44
Last night (04 Mar) at 2200hrs my wife and I observed a bright light in the sky travelling from the west, and turning north. It was observed for approx 20 seconds. It was a still night, and visibility was good. Tonight at 2116hrs we observed a similar bright red light travelling from south west to north east. We continued to watchthis for approx 2 minutes. again it is a still night and no aircraft noise was heard. Did anyone else see it? or should we just keep taking the tablets:confused

Whitewater
05-Mar-09, 22:50
Just keep taking the tablets, I want some as well. But being serious, you could have been observing a satelite.

webmannie
05-Mar-09, 22:50
or should we just keep taking the tablets

No. no STOP taking the tablets, especially the little pink ones with smiley faces on them

neilsermk1
05-Mar-09, 22:55
Well I guess you might be right, but am going to watching again at 2200hrs.:D

Cazaa
05-Mar-09, 22:57
I was talking to my mother on the phone at 21:15 (20:15 Caithness time) and she suddenly stopped to announce a similar thing to that which you are describing. She said it had an orangey glow (like a fireball) but travelling much slower (don't know where she saw an actual fireball before!). But she said it was just casually drifting past going from West to East/North (towards Orkney).
I think it may be a satellite - There is a place to check online but I'll have to Google it (are we allowed to advertise here?)

neilsermk1
05-Mar-09, 23:04
It may well be a satellite, gonna have a look again at 2215 :eek:

joxville
05-Mar-09, 23:10
You can stop guessing, it is no satellite. It's actually my aura spreading love, happiness and fun through-out Orgland. ;)

neilsermk1
05-Mar-09, 23:14
The description your mother gives matches what we saw. It certainly wasnt travelling very fast

webmannie
06-Mar-09, 00:03
You all remember the 'fireball' seen in texas on the video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QIdmzL_Miw

A work colleague described a scenario that could explain these sightings, and it is feasible.

Remember the two satellites that collided, well one of them Cosmos 2251 actually had a nuclear reactor and sodium coolant. Now sodium will apparently withstand re-entry and burns in oxygen, but the burning would only happen when oxygen reached the required level at a certain altitude.

S&LHEN
06-Mar-09, 00:20
Not being funny but I used to be totally sceptical intill one night while travelling back from a pool match in a taxi an object with loads of lights came out of nowhere and then lit up the whole car then the object went off at great speed, We were all totally frightened and speechless and when I arrived home I looked up at this hill and it was all lit like street lights, To this day I dont know what it was but I definatly wont rule things out as I saw it for myself. and I dont touch drugs:roll:

Metalattakk
06-Mar-09, 01:03
Last night (04 Mar) at 2200hrs my wife and I observed a bright light in the sky travelling from the west, and turning north. It was observed for approx 20 seconds. It was a still night, and visibility was good. Tonight at 2116hrs we observed a similar bright red light travelling from south west to north east. We continued to watchthis for approx 2 minutes. again it is a still night and no aircraft noise was heard. Did anyone else see it? or should we just keep taking the tablets:confused

I was talking to my mother on the phone at 21:15 (20:15 Caithness time) and she suddenly stopped to announce a similar thing to that which you are describing. She said it had an orangey glow (like a fireball) but travelling much slower (don't know where she saw an actual fireball before!). But she said it was just casually drifting past going from West to East/North (towards Orkney).
I think it may be a satellite - There is a place to check online but I'll have to Google it (are we allowed to advertise here?)

The description your mother gives matches what we saw. It certainly wasnt travelling very fast

This has been happening a lot recently. Google 'Khoom Fay' and you'll find your answer.

maggie
06-Mar-09, 01:40
I still remember, clearly, the light we saw last year and would love to know for sure what it was and if anyone else saw it. It was so bright and travelled so slowly. If it had been a meteorite, would it have come to earth eventually or burnt up completely in the atmosphere?

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=52549

Metalattakk
06-Mar-09, 02:11
Banging my head against a brick wall.

Anne x
06-Mar-09, 02:14
Pink Floyd moment here 2

Ojibwa
06-Mar-09, 02:36
http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=38010

This was on my other local website today. Someone seeing a strange halo around the moon.

Metalattakk
06-Mar-09, 03:06
Halos around the moon are far from 'strange'. They're a perfectly explainable natural phenomenon.

Why do people want to see things that aren't even there? And then, when a perfectly plausible explanation is given, do people still want to believe in fairy-tales?

mulac
06-Mar-09, 14:26

I saw the light last night! It started off quiet big in the sky ( I thought maybe a flare) and seemed to be travelling towards the ground then it looked like it changed direction and rising up in the sky !
I was Tea last night !

Geo
06-Mar-09, 14:28
It's probably Saveman doing his nightly rounds.

speedo215
06-Mar-09, 15:41
i noticed this ornage light while playing 7's at naver last night at approx 9:15 and was wondering what it was as i had never seen it before

Ricco
06-Mar-09, 18:42
Halos around the moon are far from 'strange'. They're a perfectly explainable natural phenomenon.

Why do people want to see things that aren't even there? And then, when a perfectly plausible explanation is given, do people still want to believe in fairy-tales?

Quite... and the colder it is the tighter the halo is around the moon.

Mystical Potato Head
07-Mar-09, 11:09
If you saw anything which had a hint of colour in it then its not a satellite because they are just white points of light which take several minutes to cross the sky.
If any object seen changes direction then it is neither a satellite nor is it a meteor,meteors only become meteorites when they hit the earth.Shooting stars/meteors/fireballs are all over in about a couple of seconds maximum and usually just a fraction of a second.

I saw the something similar going from Orion to just over the top of the seven sisters which is roughly southwest to north east twice within about 45mins of each,both times the path was almost identical,had binoculars on it,it looked like a yellow/white flame with a hint of red near the end similar to a rocket or jet but i didn't hear any jet noise and the fact it happened twice makes me think it is a jet of some sort and not anything like space junk falling through the atmosphere.

Rico............Halo's are caused by 6 sided ice crystals which bend the light coming from the moon at an angle of 22 degrees so they are always the the SAME size,you will sometimes get a second halo which will be 44 degrees across but neither has anything to do with temperature.