PDA

View Full Version : Traffic lights going up at the end of bridge street

willowbankbear
17-Feb-06, 20:10
I heard a craic that the Council are sticking Lights on the end of Bridge St. Does anyone think it would be more ecconomical to erect signs instructing those who dont have a clue(of which there are many!) that you must look right, if theres no thing coming towards you from the right, GO! & proceed to whichever of the streets you are going.
Aye an please use your indicator coz other motorists cant read yer minds!

Do ye think Highland council would do this folks? Nah me neither

tommy1979
17-Feb-06, 20:13
wouldnae make any difference, most motorists dont have a scoobie what they are doing at the dempster street lights so why would things change if they stuck lights at the end of bridge street?

JAWS
17-Feb-06, 21:02
wouldnae make any difference, most motorists dont have a scoobie what they are doing at the dempster street lights so why would things change if they stuck lights at the end of bridge street?
A simple pair of cheap old fashioned Halt signs on the side roads would solve the problem. If Station Road is made into a One Way Street from the Station towards Bridge Street it stops any Right Turns at the junction into Station Road.
Far simpler and cheaper than having traffic lights wasting energy day and night spending half the day controlling traffic which just isn't there!
Why councils insist on wasting money on things like traffic lights when a couple of "payed for once only" traffic signs will solve a problem I have no idea, they just throw money away.
It's not as if there is so much traffic that you would never get out of the side streets so that's not a problem either, it's only the silly mini-roundabout which causes problems at the present time.

Do the traffic lights at Dempster Street really serve any useful purpose? Is there enough traffic to warrant them? Again, a pair of Halt Signs would suffice for the amount of traffic using the junction.

Neither junction is much busier or any more dangerous than many other junctions.
Everytime I see them I become more convinced that they were put there as a joke, the only thing I don't know is which comedian came up with the idea!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Feb-06, 22:40
Between 3pm and 4pm this part of the road is a nightmare trying to cross.You have all these decisions going through you head.Will I cross,will I not cross will I risk it,will I not risk it.Oh go on be a rebel Cedric go for it,aye okay I will.........Oh no here comes a Stevens lorry and I'm half way across,will I keep going on or will I turn back.....run you fool,run!!!!!Times like this you wish the Green Cross Code man would appear.:lol:

2little2late
17-Feb-06, 22:43
it's only the silly mini-roundabout which causes problems at the present time.

Because nobody knows how to use it properly. At least with traffic lights drivers will know when to "STOP" and when to "GO".

erli
17-Feb-06, 22:52
Between 3pm and 4pm this part of the road is a nightmare trying to cross.You have all these decisions going through you head.Will I cross,will I not cross will I risk it,will I not risk it.Oh go on be a rebel Cedric go for it,aye okay I will.........Oh no here comes a Stevens lorry and I'm half way across,will I keep going on or will I turn back.....run you fool,run!!!!!Times like this you wish the Green Cross Code man would appear.:lol:

You made me laugh but it's so true. Try it with 3 kids in tow and weighed down with shopping. You think it will be safe for the 5 seconds that both sets of lights are at red. Silly me, I didn't know red meant, Go if you can't be bothered waiting.

JAWS
17-Feb-06, 23:27
Because nobody knows how to use it properly. At least with traffic lights drivers will know when to "STOP" and when to "GO".
More traffic-lights? Wick already has too many, it looks like Blackpool Illuminations all the lights changing colour jamming everything up.
Silly Toy Whirly-gigs? Lived with the silly little round obstructions for long enough and I've never come across one that served any useful purpose.
Everywhere you go they present the same problems, not just in Wick.

If I stop at Cliff Road and somebody stops at Bridge Street and we both want to turn right, who has priority to move first? I will approach from his right so I can go, but wait a sec., he will approach from my right so he should go. Or is it me? Or is it him? And if four cars are waiting, one on each road, who goes then? Everybody has somebody coming from the right. Perhaps somebody could wave a flag and they could all start at once.

I used to like watching the "Magic Roundabout" They could all hum the tune on the way round.
"Boing!", said Zebedee, "Time for Bed?", asked Dougal hopefully, Florence just giggled and blushed, heading for the door!

Entertaining things is Magic Roundabouts, but not when you've better things to do, then they are just an unnecessary distraction.
Scrape the stupid thing up and put Stop Signs on the side roads, they are not exactly the busiest roads on the world, why give them delusions of grandeur the don't deserve, and the same for Dempster Street too.
The average Town Centre is busier in the early hours of Sunday Morning than they are in the Rush Hour.

2little2late
17-Feb-06, 23:52
If I stop at Cliff Road and somebody stops at Bridge Street and we both want to turn right, who has priority to move first? I will approach from his right so I can go, but wait a sec., he will approach from my right so he should go. Or is it me? Or is it him? And if four cars are waiting, one on each road, who goes then? Everybody has somebody coming from the right. Perhaps somebody could wave a flag and they could all start at once.

My point exactly. Okay in this situation it is down to the first one to make a move. I have seen drivers at this roundabout when there has been no other traffic except for a car approaching from the cliff about 15-20 metres away from the roundabout and instead of carrying on they have waited till the car has approached the roundabout. And they are still hesitating. If there were stop signs they definately wouldn't know what to do.

JAWS
17-Feb-06, 23:53
My point exactly. Okay in this situation it is down to the first one to make a move. I have seen drivers at this roundabout when there has been no other traffic except for a car approaching from the cliff about 15-20 metres away from the roundabout and instead of carrying on they have waited till the car has approached the roundabout. And they are still hesitating. If there were stop signs they definately wouldn't know what to do.
I love a little confusion, it makes the day go round!

2little2late
17-Feb-06, 23:55
I love a little confusion, it makes the day go round!
LOL, never thought of it that way.

JAWS
17-Feb-06, 23:58
LOL, never thought of it that way.
Couldn't resist it. :lol:

Fran
18-Feb-06, 02:32
I heard a craic that the Council are sticking Lights on the end of Bridge St. Does anyone think it would be more ecconomical to erect signs instructing those who dont have a clue(of which there are many!) that you must look right, if theres no thing coming towards you from the right, GO! & proceed to whichever of the streets you are going.
Aye an please use your indicator coz other motorists cant read yer minds!

Do ye think Highland council would do this folks? Nah me neither

I dont think they will install traffic lights as the plan is to close Bridge street to traffic. the main route will be down river street then. the roads are being closed shortly for resurfacing. the plan to close the existing main roads was passed a few years back.

ice box
18-Feb-06, 02:35
Well if some driver knew how the roundabouts work then there will be no need for traffic lights and if they put lights there is just going to cause tall backs to the other set of light and the no one will get across the road coz car will be bumper to bumper the council sure do know how to waste money it's a joke what next .

angela5
18-Feb-06, 02:37
Roundabout is a joke everyone sits there looking at each other:roll:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Feb-06, 02:42

No wonder I need the Green Cross Man.The pedestrians think they have the problem.When its the drivers being the knights in shining armour......"no after you....."..........."oh no after you"........:confused

ice box
18-Feb-06, 02:43
That true like to see them in inverness lol

krieve
18-Feb-06, 02:45
Have any of you tryed to cross at the roundabout as you are come down past the cliff bakery. If i could have a tenner for ever time i have nearly been knocked over by the idiots that don't know how to use the roundabout i would be a very rich lady.

angela5
18-Feb-06, 02:45
That true like to see them in inverness lol

There its a case of go for it.:confused

angela5
18-Feb-06, 02:47
No wonder I need the Green Cross Man.The pedestrians think they have the problem.When its the drivers being the knights in shining armour......"no after you....."..........."oh no after you"........:confused

no,no you 1st............no you go..........i insist you go......thats the way it feels sitting there waiting for the car in front to make a move.

Saveman
18-Feb-06, 12:03

Have you noticed this while walking past the roundabout at the time or were you one of the people sitting looking at each other? ;)

angela5
18-Feb-06, 16:50
Have you noticed this while walking past the roundabout at the time or were you one of the people sitting looking at each other? ;)

No Savey i was stuck behind one of the cars that was looking at each other.

ice box
18-Feb-06, 18:49
I was at the roundabout this morning and all the junction had a car or two at them and not one of them knew whos turn it was to go first so wait ed about 4 second to see it the car from the right was going to go and didn't so i went in stead and i as i did they started to go what a shambles it like way wait to see how it's done coz there must forget how to use it . Ithink most of the driver in this toon should go and resit there test coz there don't know how to driver lol

JAWS
18-Feb-06, 19:09
I was at the roundabout this morning and all the junction had a car or two at them and not one of them knew whos turn it was to go first so wait ed about 4 second to see it the car from the right was going to go and didn't so i went in stead and i as i did they started to go what a shambles it like way wait to see how it's done coz there must forget how to use it . Ithink most of the driver in this toon should go and resit there test coz there don't know how to driver lol
Exactly the point I made earlier, and if the car on the right hadn't seen you move and had set off and hit you then it would have been you who committed an offence by not giving him precedence.
All the other driver has to say is, “He drove straight out in front of me!” and you haven’t a leg to stand on.
And when you look round for witnesses you will suddenly realise there is not a car to be seen on the roundabout.
Do you often get the sudden urge to get fines, points on your licence and insurance claims made against you? :eyes [lol]

badger
18-Feb-06, 19:19
Closing Bridge Street and having diversions will certainly add to the fun, especially with the delays going south out of town - or have they finished now? I've heard lots of complaints about the new lights system in Thurso as well. Maybe there's someone watching it all on CCTV and taking bets on who hits who first.