PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Parking

mary & finlay
05-Mar-09, 11:42
This is something that gets under my skin people that think they have the right to park in areas marked disabled parking when they are not disabled.I was at a local supermarket and witnessed a disabled driver having to park in a area away from the shop due to disabled parking spaces been taken up by non disabled drivers.I am not a disabled driver but i think something should be done about this.

mums angels
05-Mar-09, 12:46
My pet peve with disabled bays are when people use there disabled stickers and they stay in the car when there Friend/partner /carer etc goes shopping they are taking up space that disabled drivers need that are actually going to get out of the car.

Same goes for parent and child ..if your bairns are going to be staying in the car with friend/relative.....don't use them. leave them free for someone that is actually going to take there kids out and if you don't have a child under the age of 5 don't use them at all .

Bad Manners
05-Mar-09, 13:09
I agree with all the above however as a disabled driver i do try to park with consideration to others. i never wait in the car while my passenger is getting shopping but it does annoy when able bodied motorist park in the disabled bays without a thought. in some areas they are imposing a £80 fine for misuse I think this should be made compulsery everywhere.
i would swap my disability and badge for good health and parking further away from the shops

bish667
05-Mar-09, 13:20
I think the only reason people park in disabled spaces is because they know they can get away with it.

balto
05-Mar-09, 13:26
I think the only reason people park in disabled spaces is because they know they can get away with it.
yup, thats it, they really need to clamp down on these idiots who feel that they can park anywhere they want.

bekisman
05-Mar-09, 13:28
Don't know how far this has gone through:

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/scotland/news/Pages/scotlanddisabledparkingbays.aspx

Bad Manners
05-Mar-09, 13:57
Don't know how far this has gone through:

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/scotland/news/Pages/scotlanddisabledparkingbays.aspx
I dont know how far this has got either but it is certainly a step in the right direction. I know that whilst in inverness the retail park has signs up stating that anyone found parking illegally in a disabled bay would be fined £80 presumable this is a private matter agreed by all the shops.

Fran
05-Mar-09, 16:17
I am delighted that people without disabled blue badges who park in disabled bays are to be fined. This is good news, i did hear it on the radio.

Mazda
05-Mar-09, 16:55
But what upsets me IS People who have Blue Badges who are as fit as a Fiddle
When people who need a Blue Badge can not get one.
I know a man who lost a leg and was refused one .
the same goes for cars on Motability again i know of a person who has such a car yet they work on an oil rig .
the system is all wrong

oldchemist
05-Mar-09, 17:42
the same goes for cars on Motability again i know of a person who has such a car yet they work on an oil rig .
the system is all wrong

Now that is a real issue - does no-one check on these fiddlers? Pretend to need a walking stick and you are set up for all sorts of perks.

joxville
05-Mar-09, 23:04
I quite agree that able-bodied people shouldn't take the reserved spaces but have you ever thought that someone could have an injury that maybe caused them to use the space, even though they don't have a disabled badge?

I injured my back couple of months ago, I couldn't stand up straight for three weeks, I could only walk with most of my weight on my right leg and very slowly at that. It was painful getting in and out of the car and it took me double the time for me to do my shopping. I've been see-ing a chiropractor every Monday for treatment since the injury happened. I'm sure had a doctor been able to issue me with a temporary disabled badge,(do they exist), I would have been given it. For the first time ever I used a disabled parking space, yet anyone who seen me would have understood. I accept my case is rare but don't be quick to condemn until you actually see the person that's using the space.

stiggy
05-Mar-09, 23:08
Some people may seem to be as fit as a fiddle on the outside but what is going on on the inside. Yes I do have a Blue badge for my daughter usually we will park in a non disabled place, but last week I got stared and scowled at because I used a disabled place as yes I can walk perfectly fine and so can my husband but we were taking our daughter shopping and on the way into town she had 4 seizures but still wanted to come into Tescos with us, so I parked as near as possible because if she had any more my Husband would have to carry her back to the car and she isn't no little dolly to pick up.

davie
05-Mar-09, 23:31
the system is all wrong

It just goes to show that in spite of disability & adversity a few disabled and heroic souls will brave the rigours of the cold North Sea to bring us all oil and prosperity.

hobbes1962
06-Mar-09, 01:15
i would swap my disability and badge for good health and parking further away from the shops

As a disabled driver myself, I agree with you - I too would swap everything I have to go back to how I was before.

I agree with Mums Angels comments and also agree with Mazda's comments. Some people obviously know how to work the system and get everything they want thrown at them. I admit I do still work (not on an oil rig though) but I get about with the use of elbow crutches and rely on my car to take me places and I generally try and be as independent as possible but for things like a disabled access shower, I had to fight tooth and nail for it and eventually got it after waiting and fighting for about a year yet others get things like this very quickly.

Getting back to the original topic though, there has been numerous occasions when I have witnessed disabled bays being misused, ie the delivery driver in a white van parking in one to eat his lunch and the woman who decided to park in one while she ran into the shop as it was raining (and all those other people who are just too lazy to walk the length of themselves).

Fran
06-Mar-09, 04:36
the system is all wrong

You may look at someone and think there is nothing wrong with them...they could be on dialysis, they could have had heart surgery, they could be dying from cancer etc etc but they dont neccessarily look ill or walk with a limp.Mobility cars can be driven by the disabled persons partner, friend etc, whoever the named driver is, as long as the disabled person is in the car or the driver is getting something for the disabled person. it is very hard to get a disabled badge, i dont think people can "fiddle"it. I know 4 people with one or no legs who all have disability badges and mobility cars. Maybe the man on the oil rig drives a mobility car for his wife, mother, father etc. Please dont be too quick to judge disabled people. many look perfectly healthy as they go about the shops etc but they could be really ill. I'm sure they would give anything to have their health back and not have the disabled badge. also a few disabled people i know look in excellent health but after walking a few yards they urgently need oxygen.
"himself" was walking about Tesco, dying, the day before he died, but he looked healthy to other people.

BRIE
06-Mar-09, 09:19
I was just about to post the same thing Fran! My sister is recovering from cancer & has a disabled badge, you wouldnt tell to look at her that shes been seriously ill but she tires very quickly & cant walk for long.
Ive got to admit that on a couple of occasions I have parked in the disabled bays at Tesco but Ive only done this due to the parent spaces being full, that there were teens on disabled spaces,& the weather was bad & i wasnt about to carry a new baby & a toddler the length of the car park as it wasnt safe! BUT i wouldnt do it anywhere else! I think Tesco do have there parking spaces all wrong 4 times as many disabled spaces as parent spaces:eek:

bish667
06-Mar-09, 12:53
I got a few stares about a year ago as i was parked in a disabled space at homebase in wick in a subaru impreza!!

I did have my gf's grandad in the car with his wheelchair in the boot tho so the people staring soon realised i wasnt taking the micky (he did also have his badge on display in the window).

sadam
06-Mar-09, 13:29
I would agree with all that has been said here and i put a thread on here about 5 years ago as I was told to approach the shop in question to find out about their procedures of having this parking space and what they would do about the fact it was being abused. It Safeways at the time who I spoke to when I was complaining as there was councill vans and trucks stopping and running in for cigarettes etc. There are a lot of reasons for someone to have a badge and it may not be vissible to the eye so folk should not be to fast to judge. I must say there isnt much done to support this anywhwere

davie
06-Mar-09, 13:36
I think it has to be a simple rule - NO BADGE - NO PARKING.
The fact that someone is 'fiddling the sytem' is another problem altogether and should somebody be aware that 'the system is being fiddled' then surely they should advise that to the proper authorities.
On many occasions when visiting Tesco in Thurso I see a couple of people whom I know
parking in the disabled spaces and it is down to pure ignorance, laziness, call it what you will.
Fines for parking on private property (ie Tesco car park) can only be made to stick if there are people around to clamp the offending vehicle s and only remove the clamp when they pay up.
These clampers of course need to be paid for their time and that would mean a parking charge or similiar, for all, to cover their costs.
An easier alternative is these 12" x 12" very sticky 'DO NOT PARK HERE' signs plastered on the centre of their windscreens. After spending a couple of hours picking off the bits these ignorant people will think again the next time. The only way to satisfactorily remove these things is with a hot air gun and even then its a messy business.

Mazda
06-Mar-09, 13:45
It just goes to show that in spite of disability & adversity a few disabled and heroic souls will brave the rigours of the cold North Sea to bring us all oil and prosperity.

The Point i was Making there is a Person i know who is offshore and before you can go offshore i believe you have to sit a Medical thats runs about in a Car with his Name on the Blue Badge.
There is little wrong with this person as he seems fit enough to run to his car when found removing goods that were not his from a Croft up the coast a few months ago.
THIS person is working the SYSTEM and knows how to do it Well.
I would love to Name him on here but i know i can not.

davie
06-Mar-09, 13:51
For God's sake when you know this criminal then report him to the proper authority - or is he another figment of your fertile imagination.
Obviously Thrumster is full of either gossip mongers or people fiddling the system. You know at least two - one with a blue badge and the other with a Motability car. If you have neither a blue badge or Motability vehicle which category does that put you in ?

MasterSplinter
06-Mar-09, 13:53
There is a phone line you can call if you believe someone is cheating the system.

My mother has a lung capacity of 35% and can no longer walk far without breathing difficulties. She has a mobility scooter to help her get about and it took an eternity for her to get her badge to allow her to park in the disabled zone. My father has worked hard all his life and because of this my mother gets nothing in the way of help even though she is over pension age.So if someone is cheating the system dog them in give them what they deserve, but do make sure you have facts that are right.

And idiots that park in the disabled zone and shouldnt. well its down to the wardens, or security to enforce the system. Tescos have this problem, signs about saying you will be served a notice for parking in the zones alloted for diabled people, yet i have never seen anyone recieve a ticket for parking there, and ive seen many without permits parking in the spots. same as the mother and toddler, everyone parks in there and most cars dont have child seats in them, and as it is law to have a seat for children under 4ft 5 in then either their toddlers are blooming big or they are just taking the michael.

Mazda
06-Mar-09, 13:56
For God's sake when you know this criminal then report him to the proper authority - or is he another figment of your fertile imagination
He is well known to the Law and the
Crofters on the Coast .
When his car is seen ,you can be sure that something will go missing with in a day or two.

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 13:58
Fines for parking on private property (ie Tesco car park) can only be made to stick if there are people around to clamp the offending vehicle s and only remove the clamp when they pay up.
These clampers of course need to be paid for their time and that would mean a parking charge or similiar, for all, to cover their costs.
An easier alternative is these 12" x 12" very sticky 'DO NOT PARK HERE' signs plastered on the centre of their windscreens. After spending a couple of hours picking off the bits these ignorant people will think again the next time. The only way to satisfactorily remove these things is with a hot air gun and even then its a messy business.

Two points in answer to this post.

If any Supermarket in Caithness started to use a Private Company for Clamping cars which they say are parked Illegally, then they would lose a lot of Customers, I know I for one would stop going there.

As to putting 12" X 12" Sticky Signs on a Windscreen that is extremely hard to remove is Illegal and the person or company who put it on can be sued, also it can be classed as Criminal Damage

So I do not think either of these suggestions will ever come about.

davie
06-Mar-09, 14:01
Some kid this, works off-shore, thieves when he is on leave, has a blue badge, drives a Motability vehicle, known to the Polis and is the subject of the mean mouthed gossips in Thrumster. YET NOBODY HAS REPORTED HIM FOR "FIDDLING THE SYSTEM".l
Probably has relations in the Cosa Nostra and the Thrumster rumour machine is feart of him.
In these situations you put your money where your mouth is or as said on another thread do not open your mouth and let your belly rumble.

davie
06-Mar-09, 14:11
Two points in answer to this post.

If any Supermarket in Caithness started to use a Private Company for Clamping cars which they say are parked Illegally, then they would lose a lot of Customers, I know I for one would stop going there.

As to putting 12" X 12" Sticky Signs on a Windscreen that is extremely hard to remove is Illegal and the person or company who put it on can be sued, also it can be classed as Criminal Damage

So I do not think either of these suggestions will ever come about.

What Kodiak says is probably correct. But I certainly dont have enough money to sue Tesco for criminal damage.
The sticker thing certainly happens elsewhere and I have yet to hear of anyone going to court. Again if you want to try the 'park where you like thing' in big cities the clampers will descend on you pronto.

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 14:19
What Kodiak says is probably correct. But I certainly dont have enough money to sue Tesco for criminal damage.
The sticker thing certainly happens elsewhere and I have yet to hear of anyone going to court. Again if you want to try the 'park where you like thing' in big cities the clampers will descend on you pronto.

You do not understand me, I said you could sue the person or Company, this would be in the small claims court and it cost only a small amount of money to do this.

As to Criminal Damage, then you would just report to the police and they do the rest and it costs you nothing. If they took the person to court and they were found guilty then they would have a Criminal Record.

You say these stickers are used elsewhere. Just where exactly is that?

poppett
06-Mar-09, 14:31
Have seen the windscreen stickers referred to in use in Tesco`s shop in Broughton Street, Edinburgh, put on if the two hours free parking is exceeded.

davie
06-Mar-09, 14:42
I did understand the point you are making Kodiak but remember that when you park on private property you agree to abide by whatever rules the property owner wants to apply. I have seen the windscreen stickies used in a Morrisons car park in Leeds (not on me !) and and they were certainly used as a wrongful parking deterrent in several shipyards and oil fabrication yards I have worked in, both in the UK and abroad.
I have yet to hear of anyone taking a property owner to Small Claims Court on the basis that a sticker was put on their car - what monetary value could be placed on that exactly ?. The point remains if its my land, I make the rules,and I can not see the Police being involved in such a case unless you know different.

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 14:57
So you have seen stickers on windscreens. The question is what type of stickers are they. As I stated the ones that you were saying that should be used, !2" X 12" Very Sticky ones that can only be removed by a Heat Gun and can take hours to do so.

Now were the stickers you saw like these? If you think so how do you know?

I suggest that they are not but are in fact the easy peal sort as they can be used. What I am saying is that the Very Hard to remove stickers are illegal.

The reason being that in some cases the windscreen can be damaged to the extent of requiring to be replaced, this is where the Criminal Damage comes in.

davie
06-Mar-09, 15:11
Yes the stickers were of the VERY STICKY variety. I assisted a work colleague in removing the one in Leeds and it took us some time and lots of cursing from him/ laughing from me to get it off.
I had the misfortune to 'win' one in Wm Press yard on Tee-side so I do know and a company vehicle won the same at a McDermott yard . (This was nothing to do with disabled spaces by the way but parking in non-designated areas)
These things could well be illegal now as they are seriously difficult to remove - but if YOU damage YOUR windscreen taking one off who has carried out the criminal damage ?

A different angle on the same thing, if you overstay in say NCP and they clamp your car. You just happen to have an oxy/acetylne cutter in the boot and cut the clamp off, burning your tyre in the process. If this is done on private land (ie the car park you have perpetrated the criminal damage to ther clamp - the fact that you knackered your own tyre is just tough. There is case law on that one, believe it or not !.

I am not saying the stickies are (or were) a good idea but we are talking about deterring people who take up parking spaces designated for disabled people so in my mind whatever it takes to stop them doing it again is justified.

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 15:19
Yes the stickers were of the VERY STICKY variety. I assisted a work colleague in removing the one in Leeds and it took us some time and lots of cursing from him/ laughing from me to get it off.

It is good that you helped your friend in this situation.

I have just one more question for you, in what year did this happen.

Since you say a work Colleague and in Leeds I presume it was some time ago as you now have your Location in Kinbrace. So what year did this Happen in?

bekisman
06-Mar-09, 15:31
Oh dear tried to post a link but it had (it appears a certain word that offfends, so it won't work)

davie
06-Mar-09, 16:01
It is good that you helped your friend in this situation.

I have just one more question for you, in what year did this happen.

Since you say a work Colleague and in Leeds I presume it was some time ago as you now have your Location in Kinbrace. So what year did this Happen in?

The year escapes me but the time was about 1530 and in the 21st century. Being resident in Kinbrace and actually shopping in Leeds may seem a bit strange but whilst having a home in Kinbrace I have worked in places between Helmsdale & Hong Kong,Bangkok & Belfast, Scrabster & Singapore, in fact I could go on all day but an inquisition into my private life and past career is not for publication on Caithness. org.

To go back to the case in point which has to do with the mis-use of disabled parking spaces your position is that you would not shop anywhere in Caithness where parking was properly controlled - is that not a little bit selfish and what the whole thread is about.
My position is that anything that stops the ignorant or lazy parking wherever they wish should be tried and enforced.
If you really want to know when I was in Leeds and why I live in Kinbrace I will send you a copy of my CV.

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 16:35
The year escapes me but the time was about 1530 and in the 21st century. Being resident in Kinbrace and actually shopping in Leeds may seem a bit strange but whilst having a home in Kinbrace I have worked in places between Helmsdale & Hong Kong,Bangkok & Belfast, Scrabster & Singapore, in fact I could go on all day but an inquisition into my private life and past career is not for publication on Caithness. org.

To go back to the case in point which has to do with the mis-use of disabled parking spaces your position is that you would not shop anywhere in Caithness where parking was properly controlled - is that not a little bit selfish and what the whole thread is about.
My position is that anything that stops the ignorant or lazy parking wherever they wish should be tried and enforced.
If you really want to know when I was in Leeds and why I live in Kinbrace I will send you a copy of my CV.

I seem to have rattled your cage there.

There was a perfectly valid reason for asking the year and has got Nothing to do with your Private life. It may surprise you but I am Not intrested in your Private life.

I take it since you can not remember the Year it was more than 4 years ago. In 2005 in Edinburgh a member of the public parked his car in a Resident only Area. He was not a resident. Someone who was a Resident put on one of these Very Sticky Stickers which said he was Parked in a Disc only Area. When the owner tried to remove the sticker he cracked the windscreen. He took the resident to court and won the case, he was also charged with Criminal Damage and fined.

Since that time it has been illegal to stick these type of stickers on cars in Scotland.

OH and just for the record I have no objection parking my car in a Properly controlled area. What I said is that if any Supermarket used a "Clamping Company" I would no longer shop there. I do not believe in Clamping a car under any circumstances and I would boycott any company who used them.

davie
06-Mar-09, 16:43
OK your point taken about the Edinburgh incident but was that on Private Property or a Disc Controlled Local Authority area. There is certainly a difference.You say that you do not agree with clamping UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, so by default that includes the ignorant and lazy parking in Disabled Spaces.

Re rattling my cage - its me who is meant to be rattling peoples cages and I have just realised its now happening to me - is that poetic justice or have I got too little to do.
No answer please unless you are determined to have the last word.

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 16:52
Just for information on Clamping Cars.

In Scotland, wheel-clamping on private land is illegal. It was banned by the case of Black v Carmichael 1992 SCCR 709, when wheel-clamping was found to constitute extortion and theft.

Information from Wikipedia and RAC Foundation :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_clamp

http://www.racfoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=284&Itemid=30

So I am safe as Clamping in Scotland is Illegal.

Mazda
06-Mar-09, 16:53
I will answer YOU SEEM TO HAVE TO LITTLE TO DO .But there again there is little to do in KINBRACE exept look at the sheep.:D

davie
06-Mar-09, 17:16
Mein gott, I am trouble now, a graduate in rumour mongering has joined the fray !
Can you stand in an orderly queue please, those who rush will be clamped and sent to the back of the line.

Now Kodiak, you nearly had me there, but you fail to state that the illegality occurs when the clamper is UNLICENSED. A properly licensed individual or body corporate is still entitled to use the wheel clamp anywhere within the UK.
So you are still condoning parking in 'disabled' spaces and to hell with those less fortunate than yourself ?
Go back and look at your case law.

Dammit, I was going to give up but you got me going again. You and me can keep this going all day but we will have to stop for dinner so I will withdraw - pax ?

Now to contestant # 2 - the sheepies at Kinbrace are a fair bit more socially acceptable than some of the graduate rumour mongers on the .org. I have yet to meet one who resorts to private baaaamessages when they can not take some of their own medicine.

Kodiak, I looked again even, and now I am not so sure about the legality of clamping, licensed or not. Do you want to try it out if I get the clamp !.

Kodiak
06-Mar-09, 17:34
Sorry but you are wrong it clearly states :-

In Scotland, wheel-clamping on private land is illegal. It was banned by the case of Black v Carmichael 1992 SCCR 709, when wheel-clamping was found to constitute extortion and theft.

It says nothing about being legal if Licenced as you can not get a licence in Scotland.

Also I never ever stated any where that I condone parking in disabled spaces. You really should get your facts correct as just for the record I am Disabled.

cat
06-Mar-09, 17:43
he's probably right about the offshore working guy though. it really annoys me.theres a guy in wick thats been an alchoholic and never worked all his days and he gets a new car every year,i know plenty of folk that are now in much more need than he is.
i would never park in a disabled space,i always use the parent and child space,even if theres closer ones,as i hope tescos will catch on that they need more of them.
it is very annoying though when i park right at the end of the spaces and carry heavy toddler(i do have a permanantly sore back)and then heres this couple i see quite a lot at tescos standing by their 4X4 in the disabled parking,yes they do have a sticker,but they are both smoking and iv yet to see a limp or even hear them short of breath!!

davie
06-Mar-09, 17:44
I applaud your fortitude and understanding Sir.
If the rest of us similiarly afflicted showed such courage then there would be no need for all this fuss about disabled parking spaces it would be first come first served.

butterfly
06-Mar-09, 19:20
I will answer YOU SEEM TO HAVE TO LITTLE TO DO .But there again there is little to do in KINBRACE exept look at the sheep.:D

oh oh here we go again:eek:

butterfly
06-Mar-09, 22:31
I will answer YOU SEEM TO HAVE TO LITTLE TO DO .But there again there is little to do in KINBRACE exept look at the sheep

since you are so keen in quoting the rules to others,you should know that large print is deemed as shouting[evil]so kindly refrain from shouting at anyone who has the nerve to disagree with you.

sweetpea
07-Mar-09, 00:23
[quote=cat;514229]he's probably right about the offshore working guy though. it really annoys me.theres a guy in wick thats been an alchoholic and never worked all his days and he gets a new car every year,i know plenty of folk that are now in much more need than he is.

I know who your on about and it's a fing disgrace. Wick job centre need to get a grip.

Fran
07-Mar-09, 02:54

Mazda, this is quite offensive, you could say there is little to do in thrumster. you seem to find fault with everyone and everything, and it is quite nice to look at sheep.

Fran
07-Mar-09, 03:02
[quote=cat;514229]he's probably right about the offshore working guy though. it really annoys me.theres a guy in wick thats been an alchoholic and never worked all his days and he gets a new car every year,i know plenty of folk that are now in much more need than he is.

I know who your on about and it's a fing disgrace. Wick job centre need to get a grip.

Then why dont you report him.
By the way, mobility cars are only renewed every 3 years, not every year.

Tighsonas4
07-Mar-09, 21:20
if all the alcoholics in wick were to get a car there would be some trouble finding spaces [lol] tony

oldmarine
07-Mar-09, 22:01
All laws should be enforced. This is another of those important laws that is not enforced as should be!!!