PDA

View Full Version : Mackays Hotel Wick

DW
17-Feb-06, 19:15
Jings, crivens, helpmaboab!
Sweaty and five pals went for a girlies lunch.
So, pure dead slimmin' it was -
6 bowls of soup
1 tuna sandwich
2 lime & soda (draught)
3 diet cokes (draught)
1 'fat' coke (draught)
How much??????
-
-
-
-
-only £28-85
No wonder the place is MT!!!!!!! :~(

Rheghead
17-Feb-06, 19:38
The price sounds about right to me, wi'it being an hotel an'all.:grin:

connieb19
17-Feb-06, 19:40
The price sounds about right to me, wi'it being an hotel an'all.:grin:Even though it's a hotel...It's still draught cokes. I think the price is ridiculous!!:( I mean, how much does it cost to produce soup and a sandwich?

landmarker
17-Feb-06, 19:52
Don forget the overheads and the standing charges.

We had an English chippy tea tonight - Pudding, Chips and Gravy + Chips and Peas in a tray wi'gravy with a Fish on top. The fish were grand - in a light batter and huge!!

Tasty fare but at £6.45 it's still a cheap treat - but not as cheap as it was.
If I had soup for me dinner I'd be Hank Marvin by three 'o clock Sweaty.

DW
17-Feb-06, 19:53
They saw you coming SB and gave you a special price.

I understand that you had a bowl of soup each, but did Sweaty and the Sweatettes really share one tuna sandwich between six?

I had a fair-sized chili con carne (whoops, there goes the diet again) and a glass of water which set me back £3.50. But I get to claim my money back.

Yo doc, one of the sweatettes ( luv that name BTW) had the sandw all to hersel, so there.:D

See you expense account gadjies, give me the dryboak :D :D

Rheghead yer talkin' mince ( steak that is, not pork):Razz

Rheghead
17-Feb-06, 20:01
Sweaty, I think you've been under-charged.

I estimate the hotel prices as

Soup=£3.50
Tuna sandwich=£3.75
half pint soft drinks=£1.50

total=£33.75:p

canuck
17-Feb-06, 20:30
Just got back from lunch with a classmate who was in town.
We ate at the Thistle, the best source of fish and chips in Canada. It wasn't quite Scrabster fresh haddock, but as close as we can get. I discovered that they carry irn bru. Wow, I didn't think that stuff was allowed out of the country.
Our bill (for 2) came to $22.66 (just tea, no real drinks.) The cost was not my issue, it was the guilt about having to confess to the fitness club, but doing so on this thread is much less painful.

DrSzin
17-Feb-06, 20:46
Yo doc, one of the sweatettes ( luv that name BTW) had the sandw all to hersel, so there.:DYeah, great name. Elton John wrote a song aboot ye:

Sweaty and the 'tettes

Music by Elton John
Lyrics by Bernie Taupin and DrSzin
Available on the album Goodbye Yellow Wick Road

Hey kids, shake it loose together
The spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight
So stick around
You're gonna hear electric music
Solid walls of sound

Say, Connie and Rheggie, have you seen them yet
But they're so spaced out, Sweaty and the 'tettes
Oh but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh Sweaty she's really keen
She's got electric boots a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine
Sweaty and the 'tettes

Hey kids, plug into the faithless
Maybe they're blinded
But Sweaty makes them ageless
We shall survive, let us take ourselves along
Where we fight our parents out in the streets
To find who's right and who's wrong

See you expense account gadjies, give me the dryboak :D :D Oh it's worse than that SB, my lunch was funded by the Scottish Executive, so Sweaty and the 'tettes helped pay for it. :)

Canna see Hotel Rheggie surviving long masel'.

scorrie
17-Feb-06, 21:24
Jings, crivens, helpmaboab!
Sweaty and five pals went for a girlies lunch.
So, pure dead slimmin' it was -
6 bowls of soup
1 tuna sandwich
2 lime & soda (draught)
3 diet cokes (draught)
1 'fat' coke (draught)
How much??????
-
-
-
-
-only £28-85
No wonder the place is MT!!!!!!! :~(

Hope you gave them a big tip!!

We had lunch there a few months back, three adults and two kids, bill was pennies under £80 but we did eat quite heartily and there were three drams included. Special occasions only for us I am afraid.

Bingobabe
17-Feb-06, 22:22
yes i quite agree with you its the sort of place you go for special occassions i,ve been there a few times and last time i had deep fried haddock wrapped in home made batter with deep fried potatoes to translate fish and chips ats the posh for you

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Feb-06, 22:26
The price sounds about right to me, wi'it being an hotel an'all.:grin:

Rheghead it was only a bowl of soup each that Sweatbetty and her pals had not a pan each!!!:lol:

erli
17-Feb-06, 22:35
Were the prices not on the menu, so your were aware of the cost before you ordered?

2little2late
17-Feb-06, 22:40
Works out at £5.77 each. I wouldn't say that was an expensive lunch.

connieb19
17-Feb-06, 23:15
Works out at £5.77 each. I wouldn't say that was an expensive lunch.What....for soup. I'd say it's extortionate!!

2little2late
17-Feb-06, 23:43
£28.85 for lunch for 6 people isn't too bad at all. Did they complain about the price? If not, why? If they did happen to overcharge then they would have probably rectified the mistake. Don't forget it was a hotel and not Bridge Street cafe they went in.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Feb-06, 23:51
£28.85 for lunch for 6 people isn't too bad at all. Did they complain about the price? If not, why? If they did happen to overcharge then they would have probably rectified the mistake. Don't forget it was a hotel and not Bridge Street cafe they went in.

It would be a good buy if it was for meals but it was only soup and sandwiches.Fair enough if Sweatbetty and her pals had cans of soft drinks but for draught,its a bit steep.Do agree wi' you on the point 2little2late that you would expect to pay a bit more in a hotel than a cafe.:D

wickerinca
18-Feb-06, 00:20
Just got back from lunch with a classmate who was in town.
We ate at the Thistle, the best source of fish and chips in Canada. It wasn't quite Scrabster fresh haddock, but as close as we can get. I discovered that they carry irn bru. Wow, I didn't think that stuff was allowed out of the country.
Our bill (for 2) came to $22.66 (just tea, no real drinks.) The cost was not my issue, it was the guilt about having to confess to the fitness club, but doing so on this thread is much less painful.

Don't you believe it.........we are everywhere!!![lol]

Rheghead
18-Feb-06, 00:25
What....for soup. I'd say it's extortionate!!

Aye it is........in the Bridge street Caff, but in the hoity-toity people's palace of Mackay's then that is another matter.

If you just want a fill-up then go for a rough and ready joint.

DW
18-Feb-06, 00:43
Aye it is........in the Bridge street Caff, but in the hoity-toity people's palace of Mackay's then that is another matter.

Don't you worry petal, Sweaty and the sweatettes will no be back there in a rush for hoitytoity soop.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Feb-06, 00:49
yes i quite agree with you its the sort of place you go for special occassions i,ve been there a few times and last time i had deep fried haddock wrapped in home made batter with deep fried potatoes to translate fish and chips ats the posh for you

Spot on Bingobabe,definitely a place I would go for a special occasion to have good grub(which they always serve),the service is also one of the best services in a Wick hotel, in my opinion.:D

DrSzin
18-Feb-06, 01:28
Works out at £5.77 each. I wouldn't say that was an expensive lunch.Who didn't pay? Were you being treated SB?

It wasn't "lunch" anyway. It was hoity-toity soup and a "cheap" soft drink for all, plus a tuna sandwich for the non-dieter.

Did the soup contain real hoity-toity? Was it home-made or out of a tin? There's a big difference.

Ok, serious question...

If you ask for coffee in a typical Caithness cafe or some other non-too-hoity-toity place, do they still serve instant? It's been a few years since I was there, but the all-too-common instant-coffee thing drove me nuts...

ice box
18-Feb-06, 01:29
My self the wife and the in laws went to harry ramdems a few years ago in inverness and we all had the fish and chips and a glass of coke each the finalprice came too £32 i was shocked and never went back to this day what a rip off saying that the fish was yummmmy .

connieb19
18-Feb-06, 01:31
My self the wife and the in laws went to harry ramdems a few years ago in inverness and we all had the fish and chips and a glass of coke each the finalprice came too £32 i was shocked and never went back to this day what a rip off saying that the fish was yummmmy .MMmm, Harry Ramsdens fish is lovely, nice peas too. I didn't realise it was so expensive though!!:grin:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Feb-06, 01:38
I always have a wee giggle when it comes to Harry Ramsdens.Folk always moan about the price.But the fish and chips is his speciality.Its like Gucci and Ralph Laurent charging hundreds to buy a handbag.Its all to do with the brand name.Go to the Bridge Street cafe for your grub,very reasonable,but sorry,they don't sell handbags...hee-hee!!

angela5
18-Feb-06, 02:44

A few rough and ready joints to choose from for soup and a sandwich.

Moira
18-Feb-06, 02:52
If you ask for coffee in a typical Caithness cafe or some other non-too-hoity-toity place, do they still serve instant? It's been a few years since I was there, but the all-too-common instant-coffee thing drove me nuts...

I'll give you a clue .... Large catering tins of Nescafe still very much in evidence ...... Nuff said [disgust]

DW
18-Feb-06, 12:14
The Bord de l'eau serve the best coffee in the town. Expensive beans and all done at the correct temperature.
Not the scalding-hot tripe other caffs sell.
Mackays is also quite good but could be stronger.

Moira
18-Feb-06, 12:52
Betty - I totally agree with you -Bord de l'eau the absolute best in the "speciality coffee" stakes. I, too, find the Mackays coffees a bit wishy washy considering the price. Wetherspoons do some quite drinkable versions at 69p a cup. My previous post referred to the cafes, where I would normally order tea, in order to get something which is drinkable :)

BTW - was it the Cullen Skink your lunch party ordered in the Mackays? It is a bit more expensive than the "soup of the day" but worth every penny, in my opinion.

DW
18-Feb-06, 15:06
BTW - was it the Cullen Skink your lunch party ordered in the Mackays? It is a bit more expensive than the "soup of the day" but worth every penny, in my opinion.

Four of us sampled the cougette & lemon soop and 2 had Scotch Broff

DrSzin
18-Feb-06, 15:15
I'll give you a clue .... Large catering tins of Nescafe still very much in evidence ...... Nuff said [disgust]Oh dear... [disgust]

Bord de l'eau sounds good though. I assume its down by the water somewhere? (I can't access Google to check a ce moment.)

willowbankbear
18-Feb-06, 15:35
Oh dear... [disgust]

Bord de l'eau sounds good though. I assume its down by the water somewhere? (I can't access Google to check a ce moment.)

Aye , its on north side of the river below citizens advice buearu& its excellent food also

connieb19
18-Feb-06, 19:34
The french restaurant do brilliant baguettes too..:grin: worth every penny!!

badger
18-Feb-06, 19:38
Oh dear... [disgust]

It's excellent and priced accordingly, also you often need to book for a meal as it's popular but not large. I had some American friends staying a couple of years ago and they insisted on going there as they'd seen it in the Lonely Planet guide.

Basically you pay for what you get. If you want cheap, basic food with self-service in an ordinary little caff then Bridge St. is fine. If you want service in nice surroundings, more choice, alcohol and all the trimmings then go to Mackays and pay a bit more. Think Bord de l'eau might be a bit more still but worth it. Oh, and I suppose W etherspoons comes somewhere between Bridge St. and Mackays - semi-self service, cheap food, alcohol, in fact mass market pub grub. I think Betty's meal at Mackays was quite a bargain.

wicker
18-Feb-06, 19:38
What like is the french restaurant prices? Im going to take my mate and her baby out for lunch soon and my mum aswell but cant think where to go other than houstons, wont goto spoons i dont like their microwave food or their policies on things.

Mackays hotel is lovely when going out for a proper meal, their chicken with tarragon is gorgeous.
And with the price of soft drinks you will find for draught or cans its at least a £1 a go in most places nowadays

willowbankbear
18-Feb-06, 19:49
French place is costly, I had a meal in Sinclairs Last week & it was lovely, A lot better than last time I was there.
Just in from Spoons, with Mrs Bear & it was pretty good today,I had NO peas just side salad in case yer wondering!
Im sure Cedric was there too& 1or 2 other Orgers

connieb19
18-Feb-06, 20:00
French place is costly, I had a meal in Sinclairs Last week & it was lovely, A lot better than last time I was there.
Just in from Spoons, with Mrs Bear & it was pretty good today,I had NO peas just side salad in case yer wondering!
Im sure Cedric was there too& 1or 2 other OrgersYes,I did see you there, but you never said hello connie today..lol:grin: ;)

willowbankbear
18-Feb-06, 20:03
Yes,I did see you there, but you never said hello connie today..lol:grin: ;)

Was that not a rumour post from yesterday:Razz . You didnt talk to me today either Connie , so where were ye sitting??

wicker
18-Feb-06, 20:04
Sinclairs is lovely especially their lasagne mmmm

connieb19
18-Feb-06, 20:06
Sinclairs is lovely especially their lasagne mmmmis it homemade Lasagne? :grin:

willowbankbear
18-Feb-06, 20:09
is it homemade Lasagne? :grin:

No I can exclusively reveal its imported from Southern Scicily, Connie, Well worth a taste:grin:

wicker
18-Feb-06, 20:41
is it homemade Lasagne? :grin:

Oh yes it is indeed, everything in there is homemade and what portions you get massive, worth every single penny, love it love it love it

bagpuss
19-Feb-06, 23:11
If it's coffee and Danish - Wetherspoons have the edge- good prices and good coffee.

If it's a special occasion- Mackays do the best cheesecake in the planet- and the service in No 1 is really good- especially if you are on a family outing.

Places I miss? Cabrellis- their lasagne was to die for-

And which of us remembers the pudding table in the Portland in the reign of Gerry and Helen? (you automatically put on half a stone after high tea there)

Fran
20-Feb-06, 13:48
If it's coffee and Danish - Wetherspoons have the edge- good prices and good coffee.

If it's a special occasion- Mackays do the best cheesecake in the planet- and the service in No 1 is really good- especially if you are on a family outing.

Places I miss? Cabrellis- their lasagne was to die for-

And which of us remembers the pudding table in the Portland in the reign of Gerry and Helen? (you automatically put on half a stone after high tea there)

you have brought back memories to me.......my mother and i would go to the Portland arms for lunch and then have a bit of every sweet from the sweet table, especially if no one else was there. then we were so heavy we could hardly move!!!! No wonder they did away with the sweet table. Queens hotel used to do it too.

willowbankbear
20-Feb-06, 14:05
Yes I recall the Portland Arms sweet trolleys meringues-ACE!!!
Also missed is the Cabrellis cafe, In fact Itallian eaterie altogether are sorely missed by me, Another case of you dont know what youve got till its gone:~(