PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous roads.

cuddlepop
04-Mar-09, 20:49
Oh was telling me that the most dangerous road in Scotland is the A99 (Watten rd).We've been on this road when we went to Kathy's to pick up Scorrie and didnt find it any more " dangerous" than a few of our back roads here on Skye.

We were both suprised as we thought it would have been the A9.

So do other's think the quieter rural roads are more dangerous than our motorways? and why do you think so?

Oh reckons rural roads encourage speeding which some drivers cant handle ,especially when meeting obstructions.
I dont drive but do feel saver on bigger roads.:(

davie
04-Mar-09, 21:07
Cuddlepop,, I think you are maybe getting mixed up with road numbers. The A99 runs along the coast from Latheron to Wick.

joxville
04-Mar-09, 21:10
Roads aren't dangerous-it's the people using them you should worry about.

Do as I do-look upon everyone alse as an idiot that you don't know what they'll do wrong and it'll keep you safe.

Valerie Campbell
04-Mar-09, 21:12

Very true.

Fran
05-Mar-09, 03:30
The TV programme about the most dangerous roads in Britain was very interesting. I'm not surprised that the wick-Latheron road is one of the most dangerous. It is so bendy and cars overtake at dangerous places, no wonder there are so many accidents on this road.

Bad Manners
05-Mar-09, 09:08
the roads are not dangerous it is only the people on them every road in the country has a speed limit that has been set for any particular section this is done to give a level of saftey. it is only the motorists that are dangerous as they are the ones that travel faster than the limit or drive in a manor not suited to the road

butterfly
05-Mar-09, 15:12
the roads are not dangerous it is only the people on them every road in the country has a speed limit that has been set for any particular section this is done to give a level of saftey. it is only the motorists that are dangerous as they are the ones that travel faster than the limit or drive in a manor not suited to the road

completely agree,more patience less speed saves lifes....

Kirdon
06-Mar-09, 00:42
completely agree,more patience less speed saves lifes....

Sometimes less speed (30 to 40mph) on the main roads causes frustration and people to lose their patence causing accidents.

butterfly
06-Mar-09, 02:03
Sometimes less speed (30 to 40mph) on the main roads causes frustration and people to lose their patence causing accidents.

frustration and impatience dont make for safe driving on any road....

ywindythesecond
07-Mar-09, 22:39

BM I agree that it is people who are dangerous, not roads, but where do you get the idea that each road has a speed limit set specifically to reflect a safe speed on it?
Most of the A9 has a60mph speed limit. The road from Wick to Thurso has a 60mph limit. The road from Latheron to Wick has a 60mph speed limit. The road from Brough to Dunnet Head has a 60mph limit. The road round Loch Eriboll has a 60mph speed limit.
Melvich to Helmsdale? Kylesku to Lochinver around the coast? Etc.
ywy2

oldmarine
07-Mar-09, 22:42

Do as I do-look upon everyone alse as an idiot that you don't know what they'll do wrong and it'll keep you safe.

Absolutely true. You have to practice defensive driving.

Seabird
07-Mar-09, 23:59
frustration and impatience dont make for safe driving on any road....

I travel to work every morning weather permitting at 60mph from Lybster to Thurso.
I pull into passing point to allow vans and cars that are going faster to pass me on the Rumster Rd.
I'm overtaken by numerious cars and vans on the A9 and have been overtaken just before the cemetary at Thurso, for what reason i have no idea because the car was sat at the traffic lights when i got there.
On the A9 while travelling home i was passed by a car who turned into his drive half mile later.
I'm sorry to say some drivers are just egoistic fools trying to prove something.