PDA

View Full Version : Things to do on the 1800 departure from Inverness to Wick

Invisible
04-Mar-09, 17:28
My friend and I found ourself on the train to wick which leaves inverness at 6.00pm two Sunday's ago. We got extremely bored during those 4 hours

Because of the darkness we couldn't see anything. We had ate all our food and wernt fussed on forking out on something from the trolley we had one magazine which was read back to front.

So the point of this thread is what do you do on a train to pass the time.

davie
04-Mar-09, 17:33
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz

Sorry I could not resist it - but that is what I do on train or plane.

Kodiak
04-Mar-09, 17:33
On a Train and it is Dark outside so nothing to see. Nothing to read and all food gone. Then there is only one thing to do and that is :-

SLEEP ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Invisible
04-Mar-09, 18:05
i would sleep but i would have the fear of missing a stop or snoring

Tugmistress
04-Mar-09, 18:30
take a puzzle book with you? take a laptop with you with earphones to watch dvd's or listen to music? text your friends? that's what the neep does when she's travelling and she regularly has a 13 hour train journey!

speedo215
04-Mar-09, 19:59
take a deck of cards, read a book, listen to ipod/mp3 player these are what i do when i travel by train and the four hours go in quick

dirdyweeker
04-Mar-09, 20:01
Took advantage of the special offer with Scotrail at the moment and travelled by train myself recently. Mind you it was daylight down and back so I did take advantage of the scenery. In between though I was in seventh heaven at the chance to just sit and do nothing! It was great. I had my nose in a book or listened to my ipod, 2 luxuries I rarely have time for ....unless in bed!

Am heading down again in 2 weeks so will get the chance to finish a book.

joxville
04-Mar-09, 20:03
When everyone is fast asleep wander along the train robbing their bags and wallets, pinch their food, swap their belongings around, steal their shoes and throw them out the window. So much mischief to be had. [lol]

minnie
04-Mar-09, 20:23
When everyone is fast asleep wander along the train robbing their bags and wallets, pinch their food, swap their belongings around, steal their shoes and throw them out the window. So much mischief to be had. [lol]

Ats a good one. lol[lol]
you could always draw on there faces with make-up

unicorn
04-Mar-09, 20:24
definately take a good book :D

Snow White
04-Mar-09, 20:34
Well i would say hev a good dram. But buy your own before gettin on the train as the trolley is 2 expensive.:lol:

joxville
04-Mar-09, 20:39
Ats a good one. lol[lol]
you could always draw on there faces with make-up

I did think of that but you're likely to waken them. Stealing shoes could be a problem too.

If you think you can do it, remove their shoes and one sock which you then put on top of the other-they'll think the've had it nicked. [lol]

Take a pair of scissors with you and cut of some of their hair. That wouldn't work on me cos I'm bald.

Furtively crawl along the carriages, taking afore-mentioned scissors, and slice the bottom of peoples shopping bags.

Appear confused by wandering up and down asking people what time the flight takes off.

cuddlepop
04-Mar-09, 20:42
I spent an hour every morning and back again traveling on the train for three years.I loved it,gave me loads of chilling time.... sometimes literally:lol:

When I'd finished all my course work for that day,I'd daydream. its amazing what "stories" you can concoct in your head about people.

Maybe thats a possibility.

Saveman
04-Mar-09, 20:43
A few suggestions ;)

1. Hold a newspaper upside down in front of you. Pretend to read it complete with facial expressions. Laugh loudly when you get to the comics.

2. Ask the stranger next to you if you can borrow their Chapstick. Mumble the word "stingy" when they refuse.

3. Make an extremely loud farting noise by placing your hands over your mouth and blowing hard. Look at the person next to you with complete disgust and move to another car.

4. Try to get everyone to sing Kumba-ya with you. Learn all the verses and make copies of the lyrics to pass out.

5. Make up an interpretive dance to the poem "There Once Was A Man From Nantucket". Perform it in each car.

6. Bring a fully stocked bar with you. Offer to mix drinks for people. After you serve them say "Okay that'll be £6."

7. Take out your mobile and pretend to be a telemarketer.

8. Fly out of your seat and slam your body into the wall every time the train comes to a stop. Then sit back down and pretend nothing happened.

9. See if anyone will give you a massage.

10. Light candles and incense around you while chanting phrases in Pig Latin.

11. Ask the conductor if you can borrow his flashlight. Then tell passengers you are a medical student and you want to practice on them by looking in their ears.

12. Bring a baby carrier with a doll in it. Take it out every once in a while to feed it, rock it, change it. Tell the person next to you how you haven't slept in days because the baby is teething.

TracyB
04-Mar-09, 22:09
We seem to spend most of the time on the train trying to keep our 2 year old amused! Its not so bad in the day but coming back from Inverness to Wick in the dark is a nightmare! Theres only so many times you can chase him up and down the train!!:D

ett23
04-Mar-09, 23:20
Hey Saveman, I think you should make a living out of being a comedian! You had me laughing at all 12 suggestions. :lol: What an imagination.......;)

balto
04-Mar-09, 23:23
A few suggestions ;)

1. Hold a newspaper upside down in front of you. Pretend to read it complete with facial expressions. Laugh loudly when you get to the comics.

2. Ask the stranger next to you if you can borrow their Chapstick. Mumble the word "stingy" when they refuse.

3. Make an extremely loud farting noise by placing your hands over your mouth and blowing hard. Look at the person next to you with complete disgust and move to another car.

4. Try to get everyone to sing Kumba-ya with you. Learn all the verses and make copies of the lyrics to pass out.

5. Make up an interpretive dance to the poem "There Once Was A Man From Nantucket". Perform it in each car.

6. Bring a fully stocked bar with you. Offer to mix drinks for people. After you serve them say "Okay that'll be £6."

7. Take out your mobile and pretend to be a telemarketer.

8. Fly out of your seat and slam your body into the wall every time the train comes to a stop. Then sit back down and pretend nothing happened.

9. See if anyone will give you a massage.

10. Light candles and incense around you while chanting phrases in Pig Latin.

11. Ask the conductor if you can borrow his flashlight. Then tell passengers you are a medical student and you want to practice on them by looking in their ears.

12. Bring a baby carrier with a doll in it. Take it out every once in a while to feed it, rock it, change it. Tell the person next to you how you haven't slept in days because the baby is teething.
oh that is brilliant, what fun it would be, being on the train with you lol.[lol]

wifie
04-Mar-09, 23:29
Well now wi all the jesters on here I am gonna sound so boring! Used to regularly go to Sneckie wi a mate and the train journeys sure were long! But of course bein girlies we just yapped! We took cards too and played them! Mostly on the way back tho we compared our purchases of the day! Wow seems like a lifetime ago! :)

Invisible
04-Mar-09, 23:37
Hey Saveman, I think you should make a living out of being a comedian! You had me laughing at all 12 suggestions. :lol: What an imagination.......;)

http://www.xomba.com/twenty_things_to_do_while_bored_on_a_train_ride

hate to spoil a party but the imagination is courtesy of xomba.com.

good suggestions tho

Oddquine
05-Mar-09, 01:05
I got myself two Gameboy Advances so I could play pokemon on the bus to Inverness......and swap pokemon with myself..because if I sleep..I snore!

butterfly
05-Mar-09, 02:28

jox..will you paleeze paleeze stop making me laugh!ma sides are sore,anyway you dont nick there shoes,just tie their shoelaces together then sit back and watch.[lol]

Fran
05-Mar-09, 03:14
I love going on the train, safer and more comfortable than the bus, and just an hour longer. There is always people to talk to and if you get in with a group and chat away, the time soon passes. I have met some very interesting people coming back to wick, . In the morning when i leave, i go to sleep, there never seems to be more than a handfull of people on the early trains.
Good offer on till the end of the month £15 return anywhere in scotland....if you are over 55.

Saveman
05-Mar-09, 17:25

It's actually from a list online of 20 funny things to do on a train. I edited it for a family audience ;)
The list of funny things to do in a lift is even better....

ett23
06-Mar-09, 00:06
It's actually from a list online of 20 funny things to do on a train. I edited it for a family audience ;)
The list of funny things to do in a lift is even better....

Ah you're such a cheat! :roll: But it was still very, very funny. I'll have to hunt out that other list......*off to use google now* :lol: