PDA

View Full Version : charity shops

moose and Lindsay
17-Feb-06, 13:08
why r they so dear??

I know they r selling stuff for charity and it is good what they r doing, but i can't believe some of the prices

Some stuff is dearer in some shops than it is to buy new

Lindsay

cuddlepop
17-Feb-06, 13:38
One of the charity shops in Portree has just been totaly refurbished.It looks excellent but with that their prices seem to have doubled.I know they have overheads and have to make money but somethings are a little pricey.Curtains in Inverness that were lined cost me £2 50.Similar here is £5 00 why such a big difference I dont no.:roll:

badger
17-Feb-06, 13:51
Think a lot depends on who is doing the pricing on a particular day as I've found huge variations within the same shop. Some prices are ridiculously high but other items can be fantastic bargains so it's all in the luck of the draw. Maybe if we all avoided the overpriced items they would sort themselves out. Having said that, the helpers are all volunteers and doing a fantastic job so I wouldn't want to criticise any individuals. Must be quite hard getting it right.

There was a little table in the Homeaid shop which was priced as an antique when it first appeared - well over £100. On close inspection it was obviously badly restored with a bit of plywood and as far as I know has never sold even though the price keeps coming down.:roll: At the other end, I bought a child's train set in one shop for £4 which had the shop's original price of £59.99 on it. They couldn't guarantee it was complete or working so I took a chance and found it was perfect.

scorrie
17-Feb-06, 15:44
Blythswood need to get a grip on themselves. They have ornaments in there that are pure "Bargain Hunt Tat" and I have seen them priced from £20 to £75, when they are probably worth a £1 or £2 at best. You can buy Royal Crown Derby animals for less than Blythswood are asking for second hand "Sideshows Rejects"

I also remember seeing a tatty and scratched wooden chest priced up at £100, another window shopper commented that even Lord Nelson's chest wasn't worth that, to which I replied "Very true, not even with Lord Nelson inside it"

But, hey, it's all for Charridy and I don't like to talk about it!!

moose and Lindsay
17-Feb-06, 16:22
I think the cancer shop is 2 dear aswell

A pair of jeans no matter what make in thurso is £6

U don't mind paying that for levis or good makes but when it is jeans u get out of tesco's brand new for £3 and they want £6.........huh

I hardly go in the cancer shop now coz i get so mad at their prices, i prefer to go across the street to buttress's,....... cheaper :grin:

obiron
17-Feb-06, 16:38
find that they are a bit dear for somethings. did see a nice trunk in one one time needed a good sand down and stained but would have been nice but they wanted £100 for it. can buy brand new for £70 cheaper. not as nice thou.

paris
17-Feb-06, 17:28
I used to be an assistant manageress in Bernardo's in kent, We were given guidelines as to what to price. Anything with a designer label went up higher than other things, but i totally agree with you on the prices being to high.

neepnipper
17-Feb-06, 20:35
I wanted to buy a bed settee in Blythswood, it was on a Saturday and I asked if I could pay for it and collect on the following Monday as my truck was in the garage 'til then, they said 'no' i would have to take it away on the same day, they didn't offer to deliver it so I didn't buy it, we all lost out!

the original ducky
17-Feb-06, 21:29
well i think that charity shops are sumtimes good value for money you get sum good things out of them for buttons, you just need to look. £6 for a pair of jeans is good because isnt Buttress sumtimes £40ish for jeans. However most of the time jeans that you can get in charity shops are never worn. the people that work in the shops dont get paid so i think that there doing a grand job!!

scorrie
17-Feb-06, 21:30
well i think that charity shops are sumtimes good value for money you get sum good things out of them for buttons, you just need to look. £6 for a pair of jeans is good because isnt Buttress sumtimes £40ish for jeans. However most of the time jeans that you can get in charity shops are never worn. the people that work in the shops dont get paid so i think that there doing a grand job!!

The shop Managers do get paid.

the original ducky
17-Feb-06, 21:38
oh well the rest of the staff dont. im not saying that they aint cheep cause sumtimes they are dear on things but if its brand new then bargin!!:grin:

Bingobabe
17-Feb-06, 23:02
i went into the cancer shop in wick once as i had noticed they had some nice candles in the window thought i would get a bargain but that wasnt the case as they wanted a fiver for one.I dont mind paying a fiver for a set o three but im not being swizzed like that.[evil] [evil]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Feb-06, 23:06
I know what all you good folk mean ,I went into a charity shop to support a good cause and it cost me so much,that I ended up becoming the good cause they were collecting for.

angela5
18-Feb-06, 00:37
My gran loves a good rake in the charity shops i've heard her moan about the prices..£4 for a blouse with 2 buttons missing..a dirty big tea stain down the front..smelly shoes for £5..who on earth is going to pay that ridiculous price for tat...she moans:roll: ..

moose and Lindsay
18-Feb-06, 00:42

Yes i agree with your point if they r from buttress's levis or whatever, but not when they r tesco's make where they r £3 brand new

I bought my daughter a jacket from price drop and we got it for £8 and i was in the hospice the other day and the same jacket on the rack and i couldn't believe the price.....£12, with price drop or any shopping channel u have postage right enough, at £7.99, but i don't think about that as they r posting it to u which is extra and packaging also the stuff is brand new

connieb19
18-Feb-06, 01:09
My pal bought a pair of jeans from the charity shop for £3, when she put them on she found a tenner in the pocket!!:roll:

angela5
18-Feb-06, 01:11
My pal bought a pair of jeans from the charity shop for £3, when she put them on she found a tenner in the pocket!!:roll:

lol....my gran will kick herself when i tell her this...:D

Saveman
18-Feb-06, 12:08
I once bought a book in a charity shop for 30p and sold it for £146, so now they "hoik" up the prices when they see me coming.... :)

unicorn
18-Feb-06, 14:30
how did you find out it was worth that??

2little2late
18-Feb-06, 14:32
Obviously by selling it for £146

Saveman
18-Feb-06, 14:41

Knew it was worth something because it was a first edition of Dick Francis first book.....would get loads more now if I'd kept it :(

Stuck it on ebay......made a small profit :)

unicorn
18-Feb-06, 14:43
Ah I just wondered if you had found somewhere to value it as I have a book I would have liked to get valued.

Saveman
18-Feb-06, 14:44
Ah I just wondered if you had found somewhere to value it as I have a book I would have liked to get valued.
What is it? :)