PDA

View Full Version : Tpft

moose and Lindsay
17-Feb-06, 12:56
Do u have TPFT insurance??

I just want to know are u covered for driving any other persons car as long as its insured by them and not belonging to u under 3rd party only??

Someone we know is having MAJOR problems with police!!!

Any info would be great

Cheers

Lindsay

lasher
17-Feb-06, 13:24
Lindsay,
Think it depends on your insurance company, but as far as i know if your over 25 with Fully Comp insurance then you are insured to drive someones elses car third party only with there permission. I have never heard of TPFT insurance covering you for other vehicles. If its not stated on the insurance policy, i'm afraid your not covered.

badger
17-Feb-06, 13:42
Yes I think that's right but we're all going to need to watch this as NU Direct will soon stop covering you to drive someone else's car even if you have fully comp. cover yourself. There was some publicity about this a while ago so, as my renewal is soon due, I asked them about it and they said other companies will be following suit. It's going to cause problems as it will mean you can't drive someone else's car in an emergency. There was a long thread about this on a BBC Message Board following the original announcement and it was generally pretty unpopular. Apparently people have been getting covered to drive a low powered car then use this loophole to drive a higher one. Seemed to me the answer would be to limit the third party cover on someone else's car to the same group as your own comp. but maybe there's more to it.

wickerinca
17-Feb-06, 14:36
Sorry Lindsay but I think that Lasher and Badger are right. TPFT does not cover you to drive other peoples cars even with their permission. Need to check with the insurance company to be 100% certain.:(

AR
17-Feb-06, 15:08
Lasher and badger are right an most cases, as long as the owner of the car also has it insured, dunno why that affects it though.
Most companies were suggesting stopping driving other persons vehicles when i renewed my insurance a few weeks ago.

moose and Lindsay
17-Feb-06, 16:15
This person had TPFT insurance and on the policy it said can drive any other persons car not belonging to him/her

But he got stopped by the police and had to hand in documents, which was fine, but he couldn't find his insurance, so he phoned them up and asked for a new 1, so they sent it, but on this policy it doesn't have the driving of another car, so he has been charged with no insurance

But the thing is if this has all changed, shouldn't the insurance place send up a new document and told him that he can no longer drive any other persons car??

he is on the war path with the insurance company now, they can't get away with it

mama2
17-Feb-06, 16:23
Hi, I know with my insurance I am fully comp and the policy holder can drive any other car with permission from owner but are only covered TP. A mate of mine a few years back had TPFT cover but she was also covered to drive (with permission) any other car TP but when she changed her car her insurance renewal did not include this anymore. Hope your friend gets it sorted.