PDA

View Full Version : Dog fouling in Dunnet Forest ...

mrsinkstack
02-Mar-09, 23:31
Having just read the dog fouling article on the front page of the org this evening, it has reinforced my disgust at the state of Dunnet Forest recently. I often take my kids a walk to the forest but have been seriosuly been put off as to the state of not only the paths but the entrance - it's a disgrace !!:(

c23102001
03-Mar-09, 00:43
I have had many a great afternoon with my children in the forest and althought i know they have looked at this problem it has become worse than ever. I have stopped using the forest as it is not the relaxing afternoon it should be, reminding the kids to watch where they are walking or trying to keep 3 boys in check and tell them they can't play armies off of the path because of the dirt. If dog walkers can not clean up after their dog they so not have the right to use the forest!!!!![evil]

namche
03-Mar-09, 01:16
Dog Dirt!! Dog Dirt!! I know people who call it, not Dunnet Forest, but DOGS DIRT FOREST and you can see why. I know that they put in a dog walking area in the hope that the dog owners would use this first before entering the forest but to no avail, although i'm sure there are responsible dog owners out there that do, but i'm afraid you'll be a minority. Will it take a child OR adult contracting a disease before something is done? Maybe they should employ a dog warden or stop dogs entering the forest altogether but again that is unfair to the responsible owners. I used to love going there as there was so much ground to be covered and we as a family enjoyed it but not now, i'm afraid i won't risk my familys health. What makes it even more annoying is that you get free poop scoop bags from the council and if not why not use poly-bags? I feel sorry for the responsible owners who are getting tarred by a somewhat mucky and disgusting brush!! I hope something is done soon [mad]

changilass
03-Mar-09, 01:26
I normally take spare bags when we go to the forrest, have been know to approach folks walking away from their doggy doo and be very friendly and give bags to them as they had obvuously have forgotten to take any.[disgust]

mrsinkstack
03-Mar-09, 09:44
I normally take spare bags when we go to the forrest, have been know to approach folks walking away from their doggy doo and be very friendly and give bags to them as they had obvuously have forgotten to take any.[disgust]

Good for you Changilass ;) Pity there wasn't more considerate people like you ! There must be some official organisation to complain to ? The Council ? Or will they go and close the place down like they did at Newton Hill for public health reasons ? It's such a shame as I'm sure the forestry committee work very hard but they seem to be fighting a losing battle - it's just not fair :~(

Blondie
03-Mar-09, 09:53
I phoned once to complain about someone I saw letting there dog foul on the street in wick. I gave his name and a rough address. The woman didn't even ask my name, in fact I dont think she even took down his details. She simply said, "she would send someone out to clean it up"

This same man is still letting his dog foul on the street.

So whats the answer?

mrsinkstack
03-Mar-09, 10:19
I phoned once to complain about someone I saw letting there dog foul on the street in wick. I gave his name and a rough address. The woman didn't even ask my name, in fact I dont think she even took down his details. She simply said, "she would send someone out to clean it up"

This same man is still letting his dog foul on the street.

So whats the answer?

I suppose short term would be to do what you did and phone the council to get them to put someone out to clean it up but would that work the same if it's not council property ? I'm not sure. I know for a fact that it would continue but at least for a short time we could enjoy the forest with our kids - they love it, it's such a lovely place ;)

c23102001
03-Mar-09, 10:20
It's not fair at the end of the day if you have a dog you have a responsibility to clean up after it. I know the forestry trust have tried hard to stop this problem but i think there are still too many ignorant dog walkers.:(

fuzzypeg
03-Mar-09, 11:09
from a dog owner and mother i too think its irresponsible not to pick up your dogs dirt, especially in a place where kids do like to go off the path.my kids love dunnet forest and taking the dogs with us, and they always watch for them doing thier buisness and tell me straight away .so why cant other owners do the same.

Sage
03-Mar-09, 11:37
As a "member" of the Trust it really annoys me that people dont pick up after themselves. I was disgusted when we took our dogs there last Thursday - we always pick up after ours even if it means carrying a bag full of poo around the forest (which it usually does)

I also carry bags and give them to people if I see they dont pick up their dogs poo, but I cant remember the last time I came across anyone in that situation - even when there are loads of people in the forest we dont often come across anyone.

The bags left for the dog poo fairy to pick up are almost as bad. [disgust]

In reality though there's not a lot you can do about it. The folk that dont pick up obviously dont have a conscience and short of hiding in the trees taking photos of the offenders its very hard to police.

I wonder if they realise just how much hard work goes into keeping the forest?

Grrrrrr. It really makes me mad :mad:

unicorn
03-Mar-09, 14:22
The bags left for the dog poo fairy to pick up are almost as bad. [disgust]

In reality though there's not a lot you can do about it. The folk that dont pick up obviously dont have a conscience and short of hiding in the trees taking photos of the offenders its very hard to police.

Maybe that is exactly what people should do..it seems these types of people are too embarassed to pick up their dogs mess (myself I am too embarassed not to) so if it is so embarassing to pick it up it is time to see how embarassing it is not to pick it up......... we could start a rogues dog poo gallery :eek:

floyed
03-Mar-09, 18:18
The paths in Wick are disgusting, it takes 2 seconds to pick it up and you can get free bags from the council there really is no excuse[evil]

Bad Manners
03-Mar-09, 18:27
I went to Dunnet Forrest for the first time in years and have to agree with those that are upset with the mess.
over seventy percent of the people that were there on sunday morning were dog owners a lot with more than one dog in the two hours I was there i saw three different people who let their dogs foul without making any attempt to clear up.
It is a shame that the few spoil it for the many however i also witnessed responcable dog owners as well.
it is just a shame no one seams able to do anything about it

Kathy@watten
03-Mar-09, 19:55
I have three dogs and two kids and we use the forest but not as a toilet...well wee guy has prob peed a few times in woods! I would love to be in charge of the poop cam...how much fun would that be and could do a name and shame on the org and on the spot fines...better than being a traffic warden or speed cop! I could see myself hiding in trees waiting to catch the offending poopers and their owners! perhaps the wood needs this service with a large notice board with the pictures displayed for them to see their offence.

Skerries
03-Mar-09, 20:09
I have to agree with the above posts. I avoid Dunnet Forest because it is covered in dog dirt, and have also unfortunately noticed it around the caravan site (outside the fence) and on the path to the beach itself. Yuk. [disgust]

christina
03-Mar-09, 22:33
I have a dog myself and quite often I take him to the forest if he does any mess I allways pick it up, but he normally keeps his presents for the garden:lol:. Having a kid myself there is nothing worse than when they step in dogs dirt. It only takes a second to pick it up and there is no excuse you even get free bags from the Council offices.

skinnydog
03-Mar-09, 22:47
As the proud owner of a dog and a 4 year old it is excruciatingly emmbarassing when the daughter runs to "inspect" the dog poop before it is picked up. She has always had a strange fascination with the dogs bodily functions!! Just need to wait until she is older then she can crack on and pick it up by herself!!

I too have offered poop bags to people who have "forgotten" theirs. You can always tell the ones who are genuinely grateful and the ones who have been caught out - they look so flipping sheepish!!

The worst place for dog dirt at the moment is on the wee bit of grass just before you go down the steps onto Thurso beach (beside A&D Mackay). OMG I was there tonight and it was poop every 6 inches. Totally disgusting.

Dadie
03-Mar-09, 22:53
No its worse if you get dog poo on your buggy wheels and dont notice at the time.... then catch your jacket on the wheels as you fold it up to put back in the car....then hubby takes the buggy in the house for you (thinking he is being kind) and leaves it on the carpet.....

That happened last time I went to Dunnet forest!:mad:

unicorn
03-Mar-09, 23:10
The grass on the roadside going to thurso east is vile also. I wouldn't even let my dog walk on it. People seem to think as it's not on a pavement it is ok to leave it. :mad:

focus
03-Mar-09, 23:29
Dunnet Forrest is getting worse every time we visit.
i'm sure all of the above dog walkers are responsible and bag the poop and take it home ... but does your dog walk by your side all the time ?

last time we were there we saw 2 dogs that had obviously ran ahead of their owners, one of which was happily having a dump by the path, the owner was nowehere to be seen and would have been oblivious to any poop taking place.

if we meet dog walkers who refuse to pick up poop when asked to do so (i've met and reported 2 such people) we should be legally allowed to rub their face in it as the council are feckless at dealing with this problem.

Sunshine
03-Mar-09, 23:57
Has any onr tried to walk down High Street in keiss lately towards the harbour it is a perfect disgrace.:mad:

mrsinkstack
04-Mar-09, 00:11
So, what is the solution to this horrible mess ? Any suggestions ?
I would quite happily rub culprits faces in said mess but I really don't fancy a night her majesty's finest :(
Maybe we should organise a 'poop clean up' rather than a beach clean ? Do you think there would be many volunteers ? We have to do something. I'm always the first person to stand up, make a point and take some action but going by the state of the forest, it would take me three years to pick up all the turds on my own and that's not even including the owners !! ;) It's so frustrating as there is not another place locally that's as much fun for the kids and of course free - what are we to do ?

BTW, I love the doggie bags for the poop fairy comment, made me smile but it is oh so true - whose responsibility is it to even empty the doggie poo bins which are now overflowing ? It's just not on !!!

TBH
04-Mar-09, 00:11
You should all be gratful for the effort these dog owners are making to provide fertiliser for the benefit of Dunnet forest.
If it wasn't for these dog owners then you wouldn't have such a fertile forest to walk through.

focus
04-Mar-09, 00:37
maybe you should take it home and rub it on your brassicas TBH ;)

TBH
04-Mar-09, 00:41
maybe you should take it home and rub it on your brassicas TBH ;)I was feeling kind of Brassic last knight but a half gill of Orkneys finest Highland park solved that particular crisis. I suppose a generous dose of Mustard would have provided the same result without making the room spin.

Margaret M.
04-Mar-09, 02:50
Kathy@Watten, I think you are on to something. The situation calls for some trained volunteers who are authorized to collect on-the-spot fines from the offenders. If dog owners are not willing to pick up the poop, then they better bring some cash to pay their fine.

mrsinkstack
04-Mar-09, 09:52
You should all be gratful for the effort these dog owners are making to provide fertiliser for the benefit of Dunnet forest.
If it wasn't for these dog owners then you wouldn't have such a fertile forest to walk through.

Very amusing :D But on more of a serious note -

Education and Enforcement Officer Peter Taylor said: "Dog fouling is both unsightly, unpleasant and a potential health hazard. Dogs commonly carry a parasite worm called Toxacara whose eggs are passed out with the faeces in to the soil. These eggs can last in the ground for up to two years, long after any outward sign of the fouling has gone, with each infected deposit containing up too two million eggs. The most common form of Toxocariasis is the covert type which has mild symptoms or may have no symptoms at all. Symptoms of this type of infection can be fever, cough, wheezing, headache and difficulty sleeping."

Copied and pasted from teh Council article from teh front page today - not nice :~(

Bad Manners
04-Mar-09, 13:46
Could it be time we reinstated the dog licence with a view that the monies gained by this would go to dog wardens that would have to power to issue a fine notice to anyone found in charge of a dog fouling and not clearing it up.
just a thought

mrsinkstack
04-Mar-09, 22:55
Could it be time we reinstated the dog licence with a view that the monies gained by this would go to dog wardens that would have to power to issue a fine notice to anyone found in charge of a dog fouling and not clearing it up.
just a thought

I spoke to the local ranger today who advised that the dog warden does visit the forst often but there is little she can do as it's not council owned property. That both herself and the forstry trust are fighting a losing battle but they do often try to clean up the mess. Especially when an event is being staged - it's terrible for these people, especially when the forestry committee are volunteers.
I've just 'googled' teh dog fouling law and this is what it states -

England, Scotland and Wales
The Litter (Animal Droppings) Order 1991 (http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1991/Uksi_19910961_en_1.htm) of the Environmental Protection Act (1990) (http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1990/Ukpga_19900043_en_1.htm) places a duty on local authorities to keep the following areas clear of dog faeces;

Any public walk or pleasure ground
Any land laid out as a garden or used for the purpose of recreation
Any part of the seashore which is frequently used by large numbers of people, and managed by the person having direct control of it as a tourist resort or recreational facility
Any esplanade or promenade
Any land not forming part of the highway or, in Scotland, a public road, which is open to the air, which the public are permitted to use on foot only, and which provides access to retail premises
A trunk road picnic area
A picnic site.
Surely the forest is included in a few of these categories - think it will be a phonecall to environmental health tomorrow !!