PDA

View Full Version : Sewing

Dadie
01-Mar-09, 22:26
Ok im not good at this at all.
But I want to try to make fairy costumes for my children.... I have wings bought and need to do skirts... thinking of a band with net triangles sewn on.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Ps would have to handsew as my mum wont let anyone touch her precious sewing machine!

rockchick
01-Mar-09, 22:42
Not sure if this is what you're after, but I've done a triangle border by taking squares of fabric, then fold them twice on the diagonal to make triangles, then sew them onto a band along the "long" side of the triangle (which has all the loose ends of the fabric). You could have the triangles "stacked" by inserting a second triangle into the last fold of the first triangle, which brings them closer together.

This might be a bit heavy for a fairy costume, but it gives finished edges quite easily, so it depends on what you are wanting to do, or the effect you want to get.

tracy ann
01-Mar-09, 22:52
Hi

I made that kind of skirt for my daughter last year for the gala. There is photos from the fancy dress on the org if you want to see how it turned out! All i did was sew net directly onto a piece of ribbon. I folded it over whilst doing this so it made sort of pleats and once it was on her I then cut the bottom into triangle shapes.

Good Luck

Tracy

Kenn
01-Mar-09, 23:06
Crepe paper might be an altenative, just cut it into shape and then stitch to a waistband .

Kathy@watten
01-Mar-09, 23:25
Lol Dadie, I will lend you my sewing machine free of charge! and am expert at these fancy dress things ..swing in next time you pass my door! Also have a trusty glue gun for when it all goes wrong ...never gets in a muddle or needs bobbins sorting out!!

balto
01-Mar-09, 23:38
did someone mention sewing lol, wash your mouth out lol, [lol][lol]

poppett
01-Mar-09, 23:47
You`ve raised an ancient memory there balto.

Once bought a skirt a tad too long and rather than take it up I bought shoes with a higher heel.

Got sent to technical drawing instead of the sewing class, so that explains all.

Dadie
02-Mar-09, 10:10
Hmmm glue gun sounds tempting...along with invisible hem stuff i have got for Laurens costume!

But its Ionas costume that will need more work as im thinking of doing 3 or 4 layers of triangles on one of her bodysuits with the poppers on the bottom around the waist and triangles round the arms too . Then using velcro to stick the wings on the back so I can take them off so she can fit in the carseat!

Its just a pity both my kids are too little to fit in shop bought costumes as most start at ages 3-5!

balto
02-Mar-09, 10:12
You`ve raised an ancient memory there balto.

Once bought a skirt a tad too long and rather than take it up I bought shoes with a higher heel.

Got sent to technical drawing instead of the sewing class, so that explains all.
aye, think im turning into my parents lol.

Dadie
02-Mar-09, 10:16
I once sorted the hems on my trousers with a stapler and copydex...as a proper repair....when mum saw it she fixed it ...and me:lol:

router
02-Mar-09, 12:52
try this, oh uses this for the kids.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art44754.asp

Dadie
02-Mar-09, 21:54
thanks router!
I sewed Ionas bodysuit closed and to my jeans and burned my fingers on hot glue from the gluegun and got my iron sticky with the supermend powder :eek:

them I phoned mum and pleaded my case.... she is going to look at my disaster and try to sort it!

then I logged on and saw your link....oops
should have tried here first:lol:

Dadie
08-Mar-09, 22:23
If I managed this right there should be a photo of Iona in the dress my mum made after sorting out my attempt!

http://forum.caithness.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3360&stc=1&d=1236547190

kitty kat
08-Mar-09, 22:41
If I managed this right there should be a photo of Iona in the dress my mum made after sorting out my attempt!

beautiful .. would like to have seen the first attempt:D

Dadie
08-Mar-09, 22:44
nah you wouldnt... had to use sissors to remove 1st attempt after 3 hours work from my jeans as I had sewn it to them while watching the telly and not looking at what I was doing!

brandy
08-Mar-09, 23:17
i just have one word...AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW W..... and...give me my baby! *G*

sweetpea
09-Mar-09, 00:31
I love sewing when I get the chance to do it! Reckon you have a pattern worked out there:)

Dadie
09-Mar-09, 21:21
Brandy "your baby" my baby is teething and miserable ... no one wants her today, even her sister has called her bad and told her to shush and screamed at her quit pse.
Ashton and parsons powders, bonjela and calpol administered and icecream!