PDA

View Full Version : unusual jobs?

percy toboggan
28-Feb-09, 18:06
A poster has just revealed he was a 'lighthouse keeper'
Brilliant.
I s'pose the 'oddest' job I've had - which isn't very odd...was a cinema projectionist back in 1969.

How about you?

ShelleyCowie
28-Feb-09, 18:23
Well right now i maintain a house of monkeys. Does that count? [lol]

joxville
28-Feb-09, 18:24
It's not really odd, but as a kid I loved the smell of asphalt getting laid for new roads-30 years later I make the stuff.

Tugmistress
28-Feb-09, 18:30
Don't think you get many female stevedores :eek:

Fluff
28-Feb-09, 18:40
Hmm some people find opticial assistant odd. Otherwise probably sticking the back of the freezers in in Norfrost. Not much fun!

joxville
28-Feb-09, 18:42
Hmm some people find opticial assistant odd. Otherwise probably sticking the back of the freezers in in Norfrost. Not much fun!

I think you need glasses-the word is optical. [lol]

Fluff
28-Feb-09, 18:45
LOL! Hey give me a break, I was at work 12 hours after I left, I'm knackered! (plus I need new spex)

unicorn
28-Feb-09, 18:46
I done the same job Fluff, along with painting pipes on compressors :roll:

joxville
28-Feb-09, 18:55
I also used to line the inside of export packing crates with wax paper. Oh dear God....that was boring, only done that job three months then quit.

joxville
28-Feb-09, 19:03
Don't think you get many female stevedores :eek:

Fancy title for a docker is it? [lol]

unicorn
28-Feb-09, 19:06
I just couldn't see you in a posh frock shop serving though tuggs [lol]

Kodiak
28-Feb-09, 19:08
A poster has just revealed he was a 'lighthouse keeper'
Brilliant.
I s'pose the 'oddest' job I've had - which isn't very odd...was a cinema projectionist back in 1969.

How about you?

Yes that was me indeed, an ex Lighthouse Keeper. But I have had several other Jobs which included :-

Lighthouse Keeper
Ladies Hairstylist
Bouncer
Security Guard, (Cash in Transit)
Photographer
Printer in PhotoLab, D.C.Thomson's
Door to Door Salesman, (Selling Mortice Locks)
Cocktail Barman, (Trained at Gleneagles Hotel)
Photographic Salesman
Weather Reporter for Met Office
Aux Coast Guard
Painter
Display Artist
Media Studies Tutor at Thurso College.

This list not in any order but just as I remembered them

Some normal and some not so normal jobs. I am now happy to be retired. :D

davem
28-Feb-09, 19:12
Sawing frozen dead pigs noses in half! That was unusual.

daviddd
28-Feb-09, 20:04
I've repaired incubators whilst new-born black babies were sleeping and/or screaming in them, repaired obscure surgical instruments, set up a PA system for the former President of Zambia Kenneth Kaunda, worked in a brickyard pulling red-hot bricks out of a kiln, and more lately a green policeman, to mention but a few selected at random!

domino
28-Feb-09, 20:09
I used to cut birch to make besoms for Glasgow corporation

Julia
28-Feb-09, 20:29
I once took a job as a Water Bailiff but quit after 2 days.

Tom Cornwall
28-Feb-09, 20:49
I spent 35 years looking at the sky and getting paid for it,...by the Met Office

joxville
28-Feb-09, 20:50
I've spent most of my life looking at my naval but wasn't paid by the Navy. [lol]

Anne x
28-Feb-09, 20:58
my most unusual job

For xx yrs working on me and still not obtained job satisfaction :~(

Tugmistress
28-Feb-09, 21:04
I just couldn't see you in a posh frock shop serving though tuggs [lol]

:lol: too true! now that would be scary! [lol]

poppett
28-Feb-09, 21:25
Spent most of my working life in a lunatic asylum (working not an inmate) but between spells in the NHS I have driven a lorry, been a weighbridge operator and quarry office clerk. One career helped with the other. I`ll leave you clever orgers to work that one out.

King_Creon
28-Feb-09, 21:39
I am currently a underground tour guide at mary kings close in edinburgh. pretty unusual!

Julia
28-Feb-09, 21:43
I am currently a underground tour guide at mary kings close in edinburgh. pretty unusual!

Have you had any 'experiences'?

King_Creon
28-Feb-09, 21:44
Aye, a couple of strange things. Noises, whispers, getting pushed about by... well, by someone - not sure who.

wifie
28-Feb-09, 22:58

Fabulous (wonder if you were our guide) I loved that place - pricey tho! ;)

joxville
28-Feb-09, 23:04

I've just finished reading a Rebus story set in the Edinburgh 'underground', very good story it was too, makes me want to visit next time I'm in Edinburgh.

changilass
28-Feb-09, 23:11
Did 2 years at the xmas trees, decided it was too much like hard work so went out west deer fencing.

My back and my knees tell me on a daily basis that a womans body aint designed for that sort of work.

Now enjoying being a mum.

sassylass
01-Mar-09, 00:04
First job - I worked in a department store with Santa...as an elf. Thankfully it was seasonal and more thankfully there are no photos.

DeHaviLand
01-Mar-09, 01:27
I worked as a debt collector in Glasgow's Maryhill for over 4 years. Great job!

coppertop 1958
01-Mar-09, 01:31
i was a transparent wall Engineer a lot off years ago ....

joxville
01-Mar-09, 01:32
i was a transparent wall Engineer a lot off years ago ....

Until they saw through you. [lol]

scorrie
01-Mar-09, 02:03
I spent 35 years looking at the sky and getting paid for it,...by the Met Office

I have been watching SKY for twelve years steady. Sadly, I have to pay THEM for the privilege.

scorrie
01-Mar-09, 02:08
so went out west deer fencing.

What sort of swords do Deer use? Foil, Epee or Sabre? Do you usually beat the Deer, or is it quite competitive? I find it hard to imagine a Deer fitting a sword into its hooves. Sorry if you think it a bit RUDOLPH me to ask ;)

wifie
01-Mar-09, 02:11
What sort of swords do Deer use? Foil, Epee or Sabre? Do you usually beat the Deer, or is it quite competitive? I find it hard to imagine a Deer fitting a sword into its hooves. Sorry if you think it a bit RUDOLPH me to ask ;)

Och scorrie it must be late the night! :roll:

scorrie
01-Mar-09, 02:28
I once worked as a Polling Officer. After a 16 hour day, I had the great pleasure of telling election candidates and the local MP, who were clogging up the Assembly Rooms exit, to "Get Oot Ma bloody road, av been here since six o'clock this morning!!"

They moved all right, but I was never asked back!! Wonder why?

Aaldtimer
01-Mar-09, 03:34
:lol: too true! now that would be scary! [lol]

Ah, come on now Tugs, you can "brush-up" quite nicely when you make the effort! I seem to remember a gig in the Weigh Inn a couple of years ago when I hardly recognised you!;)

Tugmistress
01-Mar-09, 04:42
Ah, come on now Tugs, you can "brush-up" quite nicely when you make the effort! I seem to remember a gig in the Weigh Inn a couple of years ago when I hardly recognised you!;)

Blimey, that's a time ago! and i have no idea who you are either lol sorry. I must admit yes i can scrub up quite well and even friends have a problem recognising me when i do lol

Aaldtimer
01-Mar-09, 04:58
Och, ye ken me fine little 'un! The Chairman!:)

percy toboggan
01-Mar-09, 11:13
What an eclectic bunch.
I'm privileged to be amongst
people of such a wide and varied experience.
My job now not only mundane and dull, which itself is not too much of a problem due to a lively mind but worse..it's hanging by a thread.
Moreover I'll soon have to disconnect myself from it and hope it may be available to re-attach a good few months down the line.

We find ourselves in these situations due to what we call 'life' which , according to a certain Mr.Lennon is 'what happens to you while you're busy making other plans' Many a true word spoken by a Beatle.

Life also presents opportunity in unusual guises so perhaps I might not bother re-attaching myself after all. We shall see. Unusual job or not though I'll have to work for another few years yet. Que sera, sera.

Thanks for the replies here.

ShelleyCowie
01-Mar-09, 12:20
Everybody here seems to have had really interesting and weird jobs! All i have ever done is papergirl (Very brief as i was not a morning person), work in Sandra's to earn some pennies when i was about 15-16. Then worked in DE Shoes (Thats where i met the fine DeHaviLand, i seemed to be a personal brew maker). Then worked at BT (mad bunch), and now am a mum and a "Zoo keeper" [lol]

Dog-eared
02-Mar-09, 00:33
Cutting woven asbestos material with a hand operated guillotine just like a big paper guillotine except six feet across.
Cut into 4 " wide strips then rolled to make rope for warship door seals.

Joefitz
02-Mar-09, 16:49
I do nondestructive testing, and one day Oregon Fish and wildlife pulled into our yard with a refrigerated trailer containing 3,000 plus frozen wild ducks and geese which has been collected, dead, from the Pacific flyway. They wanted us to X-ray them to see how many had been killed with lead shot, which was illegal, versus the legal steel shot. X-ray easily tells the difference, lead shot shows up, as a very white spot on the film, and steel is much darker. We worked 42 straight hours, and got paid double time for it!
Another time we x-rayed 2400 cans of Campbells soup, looking for nails which were suspected to to have been thrown in to the batch by a disgruntled worker. It was too cool, we had the State Police and FBI as obsevers. Found about 70 cans contaminated, boy, what a row there was over that! Funnily enough, it never made the paper!

Fluff
02-Mar-09, 19:12
Good god, at least they found out before they were sent out to the shops!

Elenna
03-Mar-09, 02:46
I've been a waitress, department store cashier, painter/redecorator, delivery person, and (currently) B&B proprietor, but the most unusual job I've had (and probably the one I most enjoyed) was as a planetarium guide/lecturer/usher.

rockchick
03-Mar-09, 03:03
Let's see now...

Babysitter
Carpet cleaner telephone sales (shortest job of my life)
Housecleaner
Printers Assistant
Fast foodie
Lingerie shop assistant
Factory worker in a bakery
Chambermaid
Receptionist
Telex Operator
Word Processor/Typist
Insurance Broker's assistant
Insurance Broker
Stay-at-home mom
Fish shop saleslady
Auction assistant (I got to hold the stuff for sale up)
Temp Office worker (while doing my OU degree)
Environmental Geologist