PDA

View Full Version : Video conferencing

ecb
28-Feb-09, 17:48
Some people that I know are wondering about video conferencing using webcams to communicate with someone in the Central belt, rather than going to meeting up in person.

Can anyone suggest what would be a good webcam to use (at each end) and what is the lowest speed of broadband connection which would give acceptable results?

blueivy
01-Mar-09, 21:20
Some people that I know are wondering about video conferencing using webcams to communicate with someone in the Central belt, rather than going to meeting up in person.

Can anyone suggest what would be a good webcam to use (at each end) and what is the lowest speed of broadband connection which would give acceptable results?

The best webcams I have purchased have been the Microsoft ones. I'm not overly keen on the Logitech ones but it's a matter of taste rather than something I cna put my finger on. The webcam I use is the Microsoft VX-3000 LifeCam.

If you want to look around for others just make sure you get a decent video size and a good microphone preferably with noise cancellation.

Lowest broadband speed would likely be around 1Mb. You could use it with less and get away with it but remember when your PC is connected to the internet it does other 'things' to use up the bandwidth so 1Mb would be my minimum for a person to person call. It will work, may be a little jerky but should do the job.

jimbews
01-Mar-09, 22:20

All depends on what you want to do.

If you want real high quality V/C then you're talking many thousands.
The Tandberg kit I have was about 15k and works great using Uni's network.

If you are talking one to one then don't ignore the likes of Skype or its equivalent.
Uses normal webcam.
Biggest problem is usually audio. Really only ideal if users use headphones to prevent audio feedback. It can be really bad if one end uses speakers.
The other user then may hear their own voice back after about a second and it's really offputting!
We've used it with a presenter in the US (using headphones with boom mike) and fed it to a data projector and large screen in lecture theatre.
We were amazed at how well it worked.

On the other hand, if you have multiple participants, then professional kit can't be beaten because of the camera quality and facilities such as zoom.

I've used both Creative and Logitech webcams and found both OK,
BUT,
Some Logitech software was found to interfere with the likes of Thunderbird. Some time ago, and there was a fix by disabling something which I can't remember at the moment.

V/C is getting much more common because of its green credentials.

JimBews

avalon
08-Mar-09, 22:17
Have a look at this camera
Logitech Quickcam Sphere AF (http://shop.skype.com/intl/en-gb/webcams/logitech-quickcam-sphere-af.html)

Razor Sharp Video with Motorized Pan and Tilt. its a 2meg auto focus camera

I have had one for some time and would recommend to anyone.
If you want a demo let me know