PDA

View Full Version : The Stone of destiny

unicorn
28-Feb-09, 13:52
This has got me really interested.
Is the Stone of destiny that was returned to Scotland in 1996 the original stone?
What do you all think?
It seems to be mentioned as made of marble and also in other places made from a black meteorite with inscriptions and carvings.
It is said that when Edward Plantagnet came to take it the monks hid the true stone away and instead put a lump of rough hewn sandstone in its place believing he would take that and he did.
2 years later his troops came back to Scone and pulled it apart yet left empty handed, what were they searching for? Did he discover the trickery?
3 times the Scots were offered the stone back yet didn't take it, is this because they knew it was not the true stone?

So what are other people views and should we all go dig up Dinsinnan Hill to find it [lol]

This link makes good reading
http://www.philipcoppens.com/stone_destiny.html

Fluff
28-Feb-09, 18:46
When we saw the stone/exhibit in Edinburgh castle the chap there seemed to be under the impression it was the real stone. I always thought it was the real one.

Kenn
28-Feb-09, 21:29
Good question unicorn I suppose we will never know but I have my doubts about the authenticity of the one currently on display.

JAWS
01-Mar-09, 05:58
The plot thickens. So when some militant members of the SNP stole the Stone of Destiny from Westminster Abbey they really stole an imitation. That means when they eventually returned what was allegedly an imitation they were really returning an imitation of the imitation and the real one they held onto was not the real one at all but was an imitation.

I don’t know if any of you understand that but I’m confused so even if I wanted to try and clarify all that there’s no chance.
What is disgraceful is that it has been stolen by that upstart of a town called Auld Reekie when it should take it’s proper place in Scone. [evil]
Not that I wish to cause trouble. :roll:

porshiepoo
01-Mar-09, 09:30
Yep, alot of people believe that the true 'Lia Faill' was not actually stolen from Scotland at all, but a fake (a septic tank cover. lol)

There are many records especially those of John Balliol that show the true stone to be round and polished, very different to that stone which was bought to Westminster.
There are also many that believe the true stone - still in Scotland - will not surface until Scotland gains full independance.

Of course there is also that theory that the Scottish Nationalists did in fact take it from Westminster where it was missing for 4 months, long enough to make a replica which was then returned to Westminster. The real stone would therefore be the one that now resides at Edinburgh under the tiltle of 'replica'.

Or do the modern day Knights Templar really have the original as they claim to?

What is a real shame is that many people believe the Hollywood films to gain their 'knowledge' of these historical events, such as what was predicted in Braveheart. Although Braveheart was a good film, it was largely fictional and not accurate. I assume the same may happen in the Hollywood film 'The Stone of Destiny'.

Shabbychic
01-Mar-09, 11:08
I don't believe for a minute that it's the real stone, but I think it could be settled once and for all. Get CSI in to look for skin cells and see if the DNA matches Scottish or English Bums.:)

golach
01-Mar-09, 11:18
allegedly when the Stone was stolen copies were made, and this man was one of the students that stole the Stone.
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1034023?UserKey=

Rheghead
01-Mar-09, 11:47
Personally I think there never was a unique stone for Scottish kings and whether the Stone of Destiny is the stone that was being used at that time is up for debate. What was relevent was that King Edward obviously thought he made a political coup by stealing it and the Scots made great political capital out of having it stolen by whinging about it when they could easily have just replaced such a grotty piece of sandstone with another.

golach
01-Mar-09, 11:54
What is disgraceful is that it has been stolen by that upstart of a town called Auld Reekie when it should take it’s proper place in Scone. [evil]
Not that I wish to cause trouble. :roll:
It is in Auld Reekie Jaws, for one reason, it is part of our National Treasures, so it sits with pride of place beside the second oldest Crown Jewels in Europe, Hungary's Crown Jewels are older :)

JAWS
02-Mar-09, 09:48
Now Rheghead, stop exercising common sense. Like you I suspect that if anything else had happened to the stone it would simply have been replaced by another. Generally what made a King a King was not so much what he parked his backside on or what particularly was stuck on his head. What mattered was the strength of the claim by the person being Crowned, the Religious Ceremony of the Coronation and the acceptability of the person officiating over the Ceremony.

The current Coronation Chair in Westminster Abbey is the Coronation Chair because it us used for the Coronation, if anything happened to it then another Chair would replace it and when used for the Coronation would become the Coronation Chair.

The Stone of Destiny only gained it’s Mystical relevance because it was removed by Longshanks, had something less mundane happened to it then it would have been replaced by another and forgotten.

Golach, Auld Reekie is a modern upstart which only became Capital because it was more convenient for the London orientated Aristocracy than Stirling. It’s time the Honours of Scotland were returned to their rightful place in Stirling Castle instead of in the Anglo-Orientated impostor.

golach
02-Mar-09, 10:01
Golach, Auld Reekie is a modern upstart which only became Capital because it was more convenient for the London orientated Aristocracy than Stirling. It’s time the Honours of Scotland were returned to their rightful place in Stirling Castle instead of in the Anglo-Orientated impostor.
Sighs...Jaws, Edinburgh Castle has been the home of the Scottish Royal Families since 9th Century, before that the Kings of Scotland all lived in Dunfermilne, the oldest building in Edinburgh is in the Castle St Margaret's Chapel built in 1100, and it was James iv that moved to Holyrood Palace in 1501, as a marriage home for Queen Margaret.
So nowhere was Stirling ever in the equation, it was only a defensive building built is a strategic defense never as a Royal Palace.

porshiepoo
02-Mar-09, 11:25
Now Rheghead, stop exercising common sense. Like you I suspect that if anything else had happened to the stone it would simply have been replaced by another. Generally what made a King a King was not so much what he parked his backside on or what particularly was stuck on his head. What mattered was the strength of the claim by the person being Crowned, the Religious Ceremony of the Coronation and the acceptability of the person officiating over the Ceremony.

The current Coronation Chair in Westminster Abbey is the Coronation Chair because it us used for the Coronation, if anything happened to it then another Chair would replace it and when used for the Coronation would become the Coronation Chair.

The Stone of Destiny only gained it’s Mystical relevance because it was removed by Longshanks, had something less mundane happened to it then it would have been replaced by another and forgotten.

The stone of destiny actually goes way way and although there is no evidence legend states it was in existence long before Christ and is supposed to be the pillow that Joseph used at Bethel.
The prophecy with the stone is supposed to be that the Prince who sits upon it will rule many Islands and people of old being as superstitious as they were believed this prophecy, it became a Talisman and hence its apparent importance to all monarchs.

Jewish tradition even associates it with the Ark of the Covenant I believe.

I prefer the myth re the Knights Templar though.

Who knows, maybe the UK actually somewhere holds the Holy Grail. ;)

golach
02-Mar-09, 11:31
Who knows, maybe the UK actually somewhere holds the Holy Grail. ;)
Some say the answer lies in Rosslyn Chapel :)

weeboyagee
02-Mar-09, 14:14
The answer lies with Kate Matheson (and the rest of her cronies that did the dastardly deed heh-heh ;) ) - and I have met her many times over in Poolewe! At one party I sang The Wee Magic Stane to her and we had a good laugh about the days when she had been referred to in another song as "Lang nebbed Nell!" But though you may ask her as cheekily as you like - she will not divulge for all the tea in China what they did with it or where it is!

WBG :cool: