PDA

View Full Version : Helen Donaldson married John Dickson Flett in Latheron parish 2 NOV 1827

roadbowler
28-Feb-09, 13:22
Helen is my 4x great grandmother and she married James Dickson Flett of Stenness, Orkney in Latheron parish on November 2, 1827.

There is a record of Helen and James having a son, John but spelled "Flait" a year after their marriage born in Latheron parish as well.

They then later have 9 more children at Stenness, Orkney including my 3x great grandmother, Betsy (Elizabeth) Flett.

The 1841 Census lists Helen Flett, 42, living in Stromness (born in Latheron, Caithness) with her husband James Flett, 50, a grocer & general merchant, with children Helen, Margaret, Elizabeth, William, Anne, Richard, Jerome, Charles, & Joseph

I am struggling to find information on Helen Donaldson who would have been born circa 1799-1800 in Latheron parish if anyone has more info it would be greatly appreciated.

roadbowler
03-Mar-09, 13:58
well, with oddquines help we were able to find the death certificate of Helen Donaldson Flett. She died in Stromness, Orkney in 1884 at the age of 75. Her parents are listed as John Donaldson and Ann Bain, presumably of Latheron parish. Helens son, Joseph Flett of Dundas St. Stromness registered her death. I have yet to find a record of her birth however, have now come across christening dates for other children of John Donaldson and Ann Bain who were married 15 May, 1794 Latheron. John 1799, Elizabeth 1807, Janet 1809, Janet 1807, Hugh 1796, Alexander 1794, James 1798, Margaret 1803 all at Latheron.

I have found but, not confirmed a birth date of Ann Bain in 1765 at Osclay, Lybster. Possible parents Hugh Bain and Helen Campbell married 1763 at Latheron Parish.

Would be interested in hearing if anybody has any info or connections to any of these Donaldsons or Bains. Thanks!

Tricia
05-Mar-09, 10:29
Hi
I too am looking for Helen Donaldson 4xg grandmother in Latheron Parish but mine would have married c 1786. She married Alexander Gunn and had children in Camster-Latheron.
I have her name from her daughter Barbara Gunn's death cert 1871 Lybster.

Perhaps your John D and my Helen D could be related.

Found a Helen b 1773 to John in Latheron

So anyone with any Donaldson families in Latheron around end of 1700s Help appreciated.
T

Tricia
05-Mar-09, 10:30
Have you seen this forum message board- a few years back but interesting
http://genforum.genealogy.com/donaldson/messages/1956.html

spittalhill
05-Mar-09, 14:16
Interestested in the two Janet Donaldsons mentioned in the old posting. I have a Janet Donaldson who married Robert Learmond or Learmonth, originally from East Lothian, grieve at Lynegar, on 11/1 1828 in Wick, and had 3 sons, dying during chidbirth of the third in 1835. I have been unable to identify her positively so far. Robert Learmond subsequently worked at Clyth and then went to Stronsay where he remarried and became a prominent farmer there.