PDA

View Full Version : Last Night's Caithness Astronomy Group Event

astroman
28-Feb-09, 12:34
Thankfully the weather was kind to us last night, allowing some observing to take place. It was delightful to see a good turnout being rewarded with clear skies.

With the cloud breaking as it did after a day of lousy weather we were treated to breathtaking views of the night sky. With clear skies and a variety of telescopes on hand there was lots to see. Early on we were treated to views of the crescent Moon and Venus showing a similar crescent phase. Then with the sky darkening the Pleiades, the Orion Nebula and the Milky Way started to become visible. By the end we had seen stars & star clusters galore, galaxies, a planet almost without its familiar rings, a passing comet, an iridium flare and a shooting star or two. Let's hope for more of this at future events!

Below are a couple of photos taken at the event:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/astroman_caithness/MikeTalkCastletownFeb09a.jpg
Mike Lunan in full flow giving a tour of what can be seen in the night sky

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/astroman_caithness/OldRefractorOrion1.jpg
A handmade telescope in use at the event, with the constellation Orion in the background.

If you're interested in attending future Caithness Astronomy Group events celebrating the International Year of Astronomy then details can be found here -
http://www.caithness.org/nightsky/A4%20IYA%20Event%20Flyer%20for%20Web.pdf

Merlin
28-Feb-09, 14:07
Hi Astroman

I also attended last nights event and really enjoyed myself. It was brilliant that we were afforded a clear sky and got to see so much. A truly magical event.

Can't wait for the next one.

Merlin

ett23
28-Feb-09, 14:52
I saw the poster advertising it outside the town hall and thought I might go with my daughter who's into astronomy at the moment but then forgot all about it! Were there any children at the event? What time did it finish?

astroman
28-Feb-09, 16:19
Hi Astroman

I also attended last nights event and really enjoyed myself. It was brilliant that we were afforded a clear sky and got to see so much. A truly magical event.

Can't wait for the next one.

Merlin

I'd like to be able to say we're likely to get such a clear sky at every event, but unfortunately the Scottish weather doesn't always play along :~(.
Glad you enjoyed the event. Let's hope for more good weather at future events.

wifie
28-Feb-09, 16:24
Glad the event went well for you all and that the sky was so clear! :)

astroman
28-Feb-09, 17:01
I saw the poster advertising it outside the town hall and thought I might go with my daughter who's into astronomy at the moment but then forgot all about it! Were there any children at the event? What time did it finish?

We normally aim to wrap up around 2115hrs, but stayed a little longer last night with the weather being so good and some people still interested in continuing observing.
We've had two events thus far (Wick at the end of January and Castletown last night) and had one youngster at each. We'd be delighted to see more attending, but recognise that most younger children will be heading off to bed when we're observing.

The MoonWatch events at the start of April and end of October will deliberately begin a bit earlier in the evening (1830hrs). This is to allow younger primary school age children the chance to come along and weather permitting look at the Moon through a telescope, and check out the other content indoors before the talk(s) begin at 1915hrs. The main observing would take place after 2000hrs when the sky gets darker.

The other options for younger children are the events which have afternoon sessions. They will take place on Saturday 4th April and Saturday 13th June (both at Thurso High School).

Hope that helps and provides an opportunity for you and your daughter to attend an event.

ett23
02-Mar-09, 21:31
Thanks for your reply astroman, we'd love to come along in the near future. Sadly on 4th April we'll be in Elgin :( but we could make the one in June. What dates are the Moonwatch events that are held in the evening?

astroman
03-Mar-09, 00:32
Thanks for your reply astroman, we'd love to come along in the near future. Sadly on 4th April we'll be in Elgin :( but we could make the one in June. What dates are the Moonwatch events that are held in the evening?

Details can be found at http://www.caithness.org/nightsky/A4...0for%20Web.pdf, but in case you can't open the file, the Moonwatch events are on:
2nd April at Borgie Forest Community Centre
3rd April at Wick Scout Hall
4th April at Thurso High School
28th October at Wick Scout Hall
29th October at Borgie Forest Community Centre
30th October at Thurso High School

The Fun Day on 13th June at Thurso High School has just been confirmed (isn't on the Flyer link above). The Moon won't be best placed for observing then, but we've got someone coming along with a solar telescope which will allow people to view the Sun in detail safely. There will also be talks and hands on activities.

Hopefully the above is the info you wanted.

astroman
03-Mar-09, 02:38
Check out this thread to see a couple of the objects viewed by those attending the event on Friday night....http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=512115#post512115