PDA

View Full Version : Pasting objects into Photos.

Rheghead
27-Feb-09, 23:49
I am wanting to paste a tree into a photo but I'm having difficulty with it.

I have a pic of a tree which I painstakingly removed the background around so it was a tree on the chequered background. Then I saved it as a jpg.

But when I tried to open and paste it into a new background, somehow the tree was given a white rectangular background and yet I removed the surrounding pixels beforehand. How can I stop this from happening and can I remove this white with a quick fix? Any help will be appreciated Thanks in advance.:Razz

Dorrie
28-Feb-09, 00:28
Hi there Rheghead
Where you went wrong was to save it as a jpg. You should have saved it as a .psd (if you use photoshop) or .gif. Both of these formats would have preserved the 2nd clear layer (although in different ways).
What software are you using?

Deemac
28-Feb-09, 01:12
By saving as a JPEG file format you have not saved the alpha channel (this is the mask that you created when cutting the tree out from the background).

I prefer using the .TIF file format to save images with alpha channels (but remember to save the selction first - Select menu - Save selection).

You could recover the alpha chanel by using - Select Menu - Colour Range - select the white background with the eye drop picker tool. It should then select all the white areas. Reverse the selection (Ctrl/shift/I) to select just the tree (Save selection / save as .TIF)

I have assumed you are using some version of Photoshop.

Rheghead
28-Feb-09, 10:32
Thanks very much both, much appreciated. I'm using paintshop pro X but I do have photoshop. Cheers again, I'll save it either as TIF or as a PSP file.