PDA

View Full Version : Beware - Scammers - again!!! again!!!!!!

kriklah
27-Feb-09, 16:18
ok, i know the scams have been done to death on here but heres the latest, and this one almost caught me out.

i had a phonecall from a company calling itself CMS, telling me that i will be able to claim my bank charges back and they will send me a pack with forms and info on how to do this. i checked the website details she gave me and they came up with what may well be a legit company, but no guarruntees there. (and the news yesterday that the courts have now stated that the bank charges are subject to the terms of fair trading makes it more likely that people will be contacted about claims. (still not finished in courts yet though, havet acctually stated they are unfair)) she had my name address already, and just for security wanted the expire date on my card. ok, little alarm bells started ringing in my head, but i carried on, knowing if she wanted the numbers off the back, shed be sworn at and hung up on. she prattled on again for a bit about sending me info/for security blaa blaa blaa, then asked for the long number off my card (ding dong!!!!) i asked her what she wanted that for since she was only sending me an info pack, she prattled again about security, so i told her in no uncertain terms that she had no requirment for my card details, im not giving them............click she hung up!!!

now im normaly prettly savvy when it comes to scam type contact, so ill admit guilt here that i i wasnt quite as alert as i should be, (id just been woken from a avo nap!)

Alan
27-Feb-09, 17:17
ok, i know the scams have been done to death on here but heres the latest, and this one almost caught me out.

i had a phonecall from a company calling itself CMS, telling me that i will be able to claim my bank charges back and they will send me a pack with forms and info on how to do this. i checked the website details she gave me and they came up with what may well be a legit company, but no guarruntees there. (and the news yesterday that the courts have now stated that the bank charges are subject to the terms of fair trading makes it more likely that people will be contacted about claims. (still not finished in courts yet though, havet acctually stated they are unfair)) she had my name address already, and just for security wanted the expire date on my card. ok, little alarm bells started ringing in my head, but i carried on, knowing if she wanted the numbers off the back, shed be sworn at and hung up on. she prattled on again for a bit about sending me info/for security blaa blaa blaa, then asked for the long number off my card (ding dong!!!!) i asked her what she wanted that for since she was only sending me an info pack, she prattled again about security, so i told her in no uncertain terms that she had no requirment for my card details, im not giving them............click she hung up!!!

now im normaly prettly savvy when it comes to scam type contact, so ill admit guilt here that i i wasnt quite as alert as i should be, (id just been woken from a avo nap!)

I had a similar phone call. Some company calling themselves The Northern Constabulary. What a stupid name for a business...

ShelleyCowie
27-Feb-09, 17:52

Its just a shame that ur nap got interupted! I would hang up on anyone if they disturbed my nap! Even someone saying i had won something!

girnigoe
27-Feb-09, 18:29
My Mother-in-Law also had this within the last week. The person on the other end of the phone claimed to be from Lloyds TSB. She got to the stage where they asked for her number and she hung up. She went in to check with her local branch and they told her it was rubbish. So next day they phone her back again with the same patter - to which she replied "You are NOT from Lloyds TSB as I checked with my branch yesterday" - the line went dead................. Strange that?? :roll:

So beware because this woman sounded VERY convincing.

Katy
27-Feb-09, 18:47
I also had a strange call the other night, someone asking for me calling me my maiden name, which didn't really concern me but when she said she was from Halifax Bank of Scotland, I thought well you know my married name.....then was saying they were offering a personal insurance plan and needed to ask a few questions.....she asked what my job was at the moment (which my bank already knows!), so I asked if I could phone her back and she said its ok i'll phone back later.......still waiting for her to phone back!! Funny that??!!

kxx