PDA

View Full Version : What Price Bravery?

JAWS
16-Feb-06, 05:45
In 2003 Stephen Oake, a Police Constable in Manchester, was murdered by an al-Qaeda terrorist.
During a raid on a flat where he was living, made with the intention of deporting him he became aware that he was about to be recognise. He grabbed a knife and PC Oake, despite the fact that he had been stabbed eight times, four being up to the hilt and piercing his heart and lungs, continued to hold on to him to prevent the others with him from being attacked and continued to do so until the terrorist had been restrained.

There was much fuss made at the time by the Government about his bravery with the Prime Minister and his wife attending his Funeral.

A recommendation was made for him to be awarded a posthumous George Cross for his bravery,

The Terrorist is currently serving life for the murder and seventeen years for plotting to manufacture the poison Ricin and explosives.
Ricin is so dangerous that an amount smaller than a pinhead will prove fatal and as far as I know has no antidote.

Now the publicity has died down, the Home Office has refused him any honour because his action were “spontaneous, not calculated”!

What world are these people in? I reason to believe that having been stabbed eight times and bleeding to death my own “spontaneous reaction” would have been to let go and gat as far away from the guy as I possibly could.

I wonder if the “armchair heroes” at the Home Office would have followed his example or mine?
What would your reaction be under those circumstances, fight or flight?
And are the Home Office mandarins making the right decision.

wickerinca
16-Feb-06, 15:39
My Goodness!! It is ok to offend other religions with cartoons and idiotic remarks but to come up with that load of codswollop to deny a hero......yes! a hero...his posthumous mark of respect.....I am gobsmacked.....and ashamed that those bunch of toadies in the Home Office are seen to represent me around the World. They would never be in that situation as they would never be first in through the door!! Bunch of cowards. I'm off to email Slimey Tony![mad]

cuddlepop
16-Feb-06, 15:59
Well said Jaws,so there can only be premeditated acts of bravery is that what there saying..... Makes me mad[evil]