PDA

View Full Version : Bald cat.....?

Angela
26-Feb-09, 13:08
Well, not quite bald. My cat Tiggy's a brown tabby, now 19 months old. She has such a gorgeous coat, shading from dark brown to pale cream, which up to now she's seemed to really enjoy me brushing daily.

Just the last week, she's been shedding so much more than usual -both longer hairs and fur, that I can't get it all brushed away -she loses patience and out come the claws. :(

Is this a seasonal thing? I don't remember it happening with other cats I've had, but they went out and she stays indoors, maybe that makes a difference? Tiggy is fit and well and happy and her coat is glossy.

And....I've noticed the area between her eyes and ears getting well....much less furry and even slightly bald! :eek: It's the same on both sides, doesn't look sore and she doesn't seem to be scratching or shaking her head the way I'd expect with any parasites.

I googled this and came up with something saying this 'facial alopecia' was normal in cats of her age, but again I've not noticed it in other cats I've had.

Help! Is my beautiful Tiggy going bald? :mad:

teenybash
26-Feb-09, 15:40
Angela I don't think, by the sounds of it, Tiggy is going bald. My own cat is casting furiously at the moment and I put it down to the season.....my pet crow is also chucking out her feathers which is a sign of spring...:D
The area between the ears and eyes is less furry and some in some cats can be quite sparse..........She is young and will go through wee changes but, I think she is just seasonally moulting.....bit like myself..[lol]

Angela
26-Feb-09, 17:41
Thanks, teeny, I'm just such a worrier, and the logistics of my getting the cat to the vet means such a lot of advance planning, unless it's an emergency of course.

I'll just keep hoovering -no, not Tiggy :eek:, the house! ;)

Liz
26-Feb-09, 18:06
Totally agree with Teenybash. As always!:D

All of my cats have had much less hair between the eyes and ears.

Have you tried a Zoom Groom Angela? This removes a lot of hair but is very gentle.

Actually one of my late cats (Baba)loved being hoovered!:lol:

Angela
26-Feb-09, 18:20
Have you tied a Zoom Groom Angela? This removes a lot of hair but is very gentle.

I've never heard of such a thing Liz! :confused

Certainly more than willing to try it, but I'm hoping it would be for Tiggy and not for me.......... :lol:

unicorn
26-Feb-09, 18:45
Tia is casting like mad just now too and cos her hair is long and soft it floats around, I have tumble weeds on my laminate [lol]

Phoenix200416
26-Feb-09, 23:59
I have a long haired and a short haired cat and they are both casting well at the minute! I remember my sisters cat went bald when they got a dog. The vet said it was stress and her coat would start to grow back when she became more settled which it did. Might not be the case with your cat, but its the only thing I can think of just now :D

Liz
27-Feb-09, 00:07
I've never heard of such a thing Liz! :confused

Certainly more than willing to try it, but I'm hoping it would be for Tiggy and not for me.......... :lol:

Here you go Angela.http://www.purrfectlypets.co.uk/Cats/Grooming/Cat-Zoom-Groom/p-976-978-11157/

By the way I meant tried and not tied!:lol:

I am sure your coat is beautiful! .

By they way if you did want to purchase it shop around as you may get it cheaper than on the website I have shown. I just used this to show you what a Zoom Groom is.

PS Will pm you soon. Take care xxx