PDA

View Full Version : Coal Probs

tmansteve
26-Feb-09, 13:00
Hi All

Wonder if anyone is having the same problem. My multi fuel burner was going great while i was getting the chinese doubles but now i'm having to make do with the singles. Problem is that it clogs up and doesn't burn so well and not producing much heat, so i'm burning more logs.

Does anyone know of a supplier who still has these doubles or any info on alternatives would be great.

Steve

teenybash
26-Feb-09, 13:30
You could give McEwans in Wick a ring....01955 60 3188.

Errogie
26-Feb-09, 18:59
I've just started burning grade 2 coal again instead of the ovoids and find the heat output better than before with the plates heating up more above the higher flame.

I also burn a lot of wood and peat and just use the coal merchants products for the middle of winter. We have a Bosky multi fuel and try and clean the flues and plates at least once a month with a brush down the upper chimmney about twice a year to get the best performance from the stove.

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-09, 19:13
You could give McEwans in Wick a ring....01955 60 3188.

McEwans are giving up on the China man as his coal prices are too high so when I get my coal in the morning it is going to be from Germany.:confused

Good old Margaret Thatcher.

DeHaviLand
26-Feb-09, 21:45
McEwans are giving up on the China man as his coal prices are too high so when I get my coal in the morning it is going to be from Germany.:confused

I have a large bag in my garage and printed on the side is what I swore said " Colombian Coke". Unfortunately on further inspection, I found it says "Colombian Coal".

Still, with coal prices going the way they are, it will soon be worth just as much.:D

Liz
26-Feb-09, 21:50

So will that be German doubles then Kevin? If so, what is the price?

Doubles is the only coal we can burn on our closed in fire.:(

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-09, 22:59
So will that be German doubles then Kevin? If so, what is the price?

Doubles is the only coal we can burn on our closed in fire.:(

Not sure what it is Liz , but it's the same price @ £18-00 pounds a bag.

I will give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Liz
26-Feb-09, 23:17
Not sure what it is Liz , but it's the same price @ £18-00 pounds a bag.

I will give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Cheers Kevin.:D

teenybash
27-Feb-09, 00:26

I wonder if they will drop the price of their ordinary coal..........can't see it somehow.:(

tmansteve
01-Mar-09, 15:33
I gave McEwans a ring and they stock 3 types of coal. Superglow, German and Welsh.

£16.20, £18.00 & £17.00 a bag 50 kilo. The superglow is bigger so I might try that and see how it goes. I do dig my own peat but it was a lot of hard work last year getting it back to the house.

I have ordered some logs and will comment later. Looks like the chinese are hording it all and with most of our coal mines capped. :mad:

Kevin Milkins
01-Mar-09, 16:01
I have been on the German coal for a couple of days now and it seems to be of the same quality as the Chinese doubles and burns just about the same although it is smaller.

I cleaned my bunker out before I had 2 bags tipped so I will have a good idea on Friday of how it compares with the Chinese.

percy toboggan
01-Mar-09, 17:41
We still provide 7% of the coal needed to generate electricity but I'm staggered that folk are buying the stuff in from the like sof China and Germany - Barmy.
I've invested in UK coal but sadly the nation, at large chose not too.
Almost a total squandering of that which we will one day need.

Wellies
02-Mar-09, 00:37
We get Premium House Coal from Hunters and cannot complain. It is £14.50 a bag and burn it in our wellstood and open fire and puts out a real good heat. Tonight we have the windows open in the kitchen as it is so warm.

ROSETIPS
02-Mar-09, 10:18
I have been using superglow for a while now as the doubles were just too expensive, Its great although can be a bit ashier than doubles but it certainly keeps u warm and thats the main thing.

Mazda
02-Mar-09, 17:29
In Caithness most if Not all the coal is supplied by Bruce lindsay Fuels as they are Wholesalers this is where Hunters (Thurso) get there Coal and Mcewens in Wick are part of Bruce lindsay.
The lybster coalman also gets his supplies from Bruce lindsay

Liz
03-Mar-09, 18:39
Well we got German doubles (looks more like singles though)on Monday and, whilst it does burn well, it keeps leaving the glass door all white and it needs cleaning at least a couple of times daily.:confused

Has anyone else had this problem?

Mazda
04-Mar-09, 11:00
I get Coal from McEwens/Hunters but there prices are GETTING VERY HIGH if it is the Same Type of coal .
We seem to have no Choice here as there is a lack of others selling the stuff.
Hunters also seem to mix there coal as at times it is very stoney.

Liz
04-Mar-09, 13:57
I have been using superglow for a while now as the doubles were just too expensive, Its great although can be a bit ashier than doubles but it certainly keeps u warm and thats the main thing.

Is Superglow smokeless fuel and are you using it in a closed in fire?

Thanks.:D

tmansteve
05-Mar-09, 11:55
I think the superglow is smokeless. I will be giving it a try as this small stuff is a waste. Half of it slips throught the plates so not very happy.

Liz
05-Mar-09, 14:00
I think the superglow is smokeless. I will be giving it a try as this small stuff is a waste. Half of it slips throught the plates so not very happy.

Afraid I'm not very happy with the Chinese doubles either. It keeps making the glass door all white and when we take the ashes off there is a terrible smell.

I've just been on the phone to McEwens coal merchants and they told me that the best thing to get to replace Chinese doubles is Welsh doubles.
Apparently this was originally taken into replace the Chinese doubles before they got the German doubles.
It is bigger than the German doubles so hopefully will burn better.

It is also £1 a bag cheaper so here's hoping it will be okay.

We are getting it on Monday so will let you know what it is like.

Maybe you could try the Superglow and we could compare notes?:D

Bad Manners
05-Mar-09, 14:07
We use superglow on our closed in fire and it burns well there is slightly more ash than the doubles but we have founr that it lasts the same and gives out the same heat. it is slightly cheaper than the doubles.
we found you have to clean the glass everyother day no matter what we burned.

Liz
05-Mar-09, 14:14
We use superglow on our closed in fire and it burns well there is slightly more ash than the doubles but we have founr that it lasts the same and gives out the same heat. it is slightly cheaper than the doubles.
we found you have to clean the glass everyother day no matter what we burned.

Cheers for that. If the Welsh doubles aren't good we will try the Superglow.
I don't mind cleaning the glass but, with the Chinese doubles, it needs cleaning three or four times a day!

shazzy
06-Mar-09, 17:24
I've just started burning grade 2 coal again instead of the ovoids and find the heat output better than before with the plates heating up more above the higher flame.

I also burn a lot of wood and peat and just use the coal merchants products for the middle of winter. We have a Bosky multi fuel and try and clean the flues and plates at least once a month with a brush down the upper chimmney about twice a year to get the best performance from the stove.
dont mean to be thick (new to area) but where do u get the peat from?

Skerries
06-Mar-09, 21:30
I get Coal from McEwens/Hunters but there prices are GETTING VERY HIGH if it is the Same Type of coal .
We seem to have no Choice here as there is a lack of others selling the stuff.
Hunters also seem to mix there coal as at times it is very stoney.

We get our coal from Hunters and the quality seems to drop while the price goes up. We switched from economy anthracite (mostly dust) to singles which were apparently from Vietnam and then Wales. The Welsh stuff was great and now what we have been given in the last month bears a remarkable resemblance to economy anthracite (with no dust). Very stoney.

I understand that the wholesale price has increased (which is not the supplier's fault) but we're now paying more for what is lower grade coal. Help ma boab! That's £17 a bag for wee bits! Thank goodness our fire has an adjustable grate! :confused

chef4celebrations
06-Mar-09, 23:00
you all got me confused....lol, singles and doubles what are you all going on about, i get my coal from hunters and also , my logs and it is either small lumps from china or the larger lumps from columbia, and they get their coal from the coal boat that robertsons in orkney get their coal from as well as bruce lindsey, they all share the cost of the boat and get it for the same price per tonne, but the ones in orkney pay about £3 per bag more, i have the problem of my glass being blacker than the coal by the end of the day also, tired of cleaning the glass everyday...lol any cures for this?

TBH
06-Mar-09, 23:04
dont mean to be thick (new to area) but where do u get the peat from?
You get it from a peat bog.

davie
07-Mar-09, 00:08
shazzy, if you look up peat cutting on Google that will give you the general idea. Its the same idea as the Irish call 'turf'.
The work involved is really backbreaking and very few people even know how to do it these days. There are a few people who produce peat briquettes on an industrial basis but I doubt if these give the same heat or last as long as the 'genuine' peats. A few of the local garages/garden centre type place sell them I think.
Certainly if you can get access to a 'peat bank' in the hill somewhere and have the energy and get someone to show you whats involved then its a relatively cheap source of fuel BUT you need a few people involved and they must be lean, mean and determined !.

wifie
07-Mar-09, 00:10
Am I readin right? Was that a helpful post from Davie wi no hint of sarcasm? Nah I must be dreaming! [lol]

davie
07-Mar-09, 00:19
Am I readin right? Was that a helpful post from Davie wi no hint of sarcasm? Nah I must be dreaming! [lol]

Right wifie, and me started saving from my pension to buy you a scone - you have no chance now .

wifie
07-Mar-09, 00:22
Right wifie, and me started saving from my pension to buy you a scone - you have no chance now .

Well I wisna gettin coffee so what is the point of a lone scone? :roll:

Venture
07-Mar-09, 00:25
Well I wisna gettin coffee so what is the point of a lone scone? :roll:

You could give it to me and I could hit TBH with it.:lol:

.....right between the eyes.

davie
07-Mar-09, 00:27
Och you poor cratur, all right I will start saving again - will try to get enough for a coffee and a scone but it might take me a wee while. Theres a recession thing going about and scones is a bit of a luxury.

btw you are quite right about the sarcasm - I must try to be a bit more nicer.

wifie
07-Mar-09, 00:31
You could give it to me and I could hit TBH with it.:lol:

.....right between the eyes.

LOL! Davie is gettin me a luxurious scone so I better no waste it givin it 'til ye Venture for the sole purpose of hurlin it at TBH!

Och you poor cratur, all right I will start saving again - will try to get enough for a coffee and a scone but it might take me a wee while. Theres a recession thing going about and scones is a bit of a luxury.

btw you are quite right about the sarcasm - I must try to be a bit more nicer.

Yer doin very well Davie - we will have you metrosexual yet - mind I get the scone before you start splashin oot on yer tank top and man bag!

davie
07-Mar-09, 00:42
Metrosexual - had to Google that one !. No way am I shaving more than once a week and the bath on the 1st of May stays. Enough is enough, I am trying to be nice but there is a limit.

shazzy
07-Mar-09, 11:30
I think you were being very nice and helpful,why are they all being so mean to you? Im sure you dont deserve it,your just misunderstood!!

davie
07-Mar-09, 18:40
I am always nice & helpful its just that some of these wifies are picking on me. On second thoughts with so many liars and trans whatsits on this forum I am not sure who is picking on me anymore !.
No shazzy, its all good fun, I hand it out from time to time so I have to take some of my own medicine back !

Kevin Milkins
10-Mar-09, 12:18
[quote=Kevin Milkins;511396]I have been on the German coal for a couple of days now and it seems to be of the same quality as the Chinese doubles and burns just about the same although it is smaller.

I cleaned my bunker out before I had 2 bags tipped so I will have a good idea on Friday of how it compares with the Chinese.[/quote

I have at last made up my mind, which is the most economical and efficient way to heat my house and hot water using a Trianco coal burner.

I tried using logs and slack to make my Chinese doubles go a bit further and found I was still using 2 bags of doubles a week and it was often a potch trying to keep the glass clean and keep it in at night.

When we switched to the German coal I cleaned out the bunker and had 2 bags tipped.

Although it is a lot smaller it burns very well, it is far easier to control the burn than any coal I have ever used and the glass stays cleaner as well.

After a week I weighed what was left in the bunker and had 26.4 KG left so that’s just over half a bag.

To conclude my weekly cost has gone down from £36-00 plus wood and slack to about £27-00 and it’s easier and cleaner.

Liz
10-Mar-09, 13:50
Kevin I am glad that the German doubles have worked out for you.

We found it was so small that it dropped through the grate with the result that two bags didn't last a week. Also we were constantly cleaning the glass and there was a horrible smell when the door was opened. You could actually taste it!

Maybe your fire is better than ours though.

Anyway we are now trying Welsh Doubles and so far, so good but will try Superglow next week and then make up our mind.

Kevin Milkins
10-Mar-09, 13:57
Kevin I am glad that the German doubles have worked out for you.

We found it was so small that it dropped through the grate with the result that two bags didn't last a week. Also we were constantly cleaning the glass and there was a horrible smell when the door was opened. You could actually taste it!

Maybe your fire is better than ours though.

Anyway we are now trying Welsh Doubles and so far, so good but will try Superglow next week and then make up our mind.

Wey-Hey, big up the Welsh :lol: lol. Not sure where Welsh coal comes from as they shut the last pit about 2 years ago :confused ,might be open cast.

Not to change the subject, but surely that cant be you on the school photo?

Liz
10-Mar-09, 14:02
Wey-Hey, big up the Welsh :lol: lol. Not sure where Welsh coal comes from as they shut the last pit about 2 years ago :confused ,might be open cast.

Not to change the subject, but surely that cant be you on the school photo?

Aye only good things come from Wales eh?:lol:

What school photo?