PDA

View Full Version : dying art of handwriting

sam
26-Feb-09, 11:55
This is something a friend & i were discussing a while back & after reading about it here it made me wonder how many if any of you actually put pen to paper and write letters?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine

I know its not the only thing thats dying out due to moving with the times & technology which is a shame really :~(

sam
26-Feb-09, 11:57
just noticed the above link doesnt work, so here is the correct one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7907888.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7907888.stm)

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-09, 12:07
Good post Sam

I think just the thought of writing a letter is somthing that has held me back throughout my life.

If there was a job I fancied and it did not have a phone number I would not even consider it, or if the bank made a mistake and I needed to write to them about it , it just never got done.:confused

I have had a computer for about ten years now and it has opened up all sorts of possibilities and lines of communication for me.:Razz

All I need to do now is learn how to work the org spell check.lol:lol:

sam
26-Feb-09, 12:21
Its got me thinking back to when a was a kid used to write to ma cousins every week loved getting letters to especially from ma dad when he worked away from home, still have all his letters.

There is so many things the younger generation are missing out on, mainly fresh air due to all the computor games etc.
its sad really.

dirdyweeker
26-Feb-09, 12:31
I "write" lots of letters though have to admit to typing many. I also do emails. I have always enjoyed keeping in touch with folk via letters and even postcards. I personally enjoy getting a letter myself hence the reason I continue to do so. There is nothing better than sitting down with a cuppa and a newsy letter for a relaxing read. So often our mail is brown envelopes and junk mail so a letter is an added bonus.

Joefitz
26-Feb-09, 12:51
My wife is an artist, and uses all sorts of different pens etc. A few years ago, I bought her a calligraphy set, and one of the pens reminded me of school in Wick, filling inkwells etc. I picked the pen up one night, and wrote a few words, and was instantly hooked. I use it exclusively now to write any letters, and its funny, but the old skills cams back quickly, my writing became MUCH more legible. My 11 year old grandaughter saw it one day, and tried it. I ended up buying her pen and ink, and she loves it!

dellwak
26-Feb-09, 13:00
My handwriting is, and always has been terrible.
I have spent my life trying to find ways to get by without having to write anything down. As soon as I could afford it I went out and bought myself a typwriter, followed shortly after by a computer (Commodor 64 - that shows my age). I even bought a pocket dictator thing as soon as they became available.
Now that I am an office walla, I often have to make notes during meetings. The problem is, I canīt understand a thing I have written down when I get back to my desk and often have to ask someone else if I can borrow thier notes.
Now I am waiting for the next clever invention to relieve me of this new embarrassment.

ellimac
26-Feb-09, 13:16
I used to quite like writing letter's but to be honest since the introduction of computer's I do a lot of my letters and stuff on it and hardly put pen to paper... When I was younger I used to have a penpal and wrote to her every week nearly and really looked forward to receiving her letters or any letter and I still do.... When I was little I was in the hospital in Inverness and my Mum wrote me 2 letters, which I still have to this day thankfully as sadly my mum past away a good few years ago now and that letter's are now very important to me and yes I do still read then from time to time, which I love .... I think that letter writing is and should still be very much part of peoples lives, I ken it's way to easy to just do it on the computer..... :D

Kenneth
26-Feb-09, 13:39
My handwriting is not terribly neat but I join up all my words!! Unlike those cheaters that think their handwriting is neat but they dont join up!! God at annoys me!!

pretty bored e day like

honey
26-Feb-09, 14:26
when i was at high school, me and my best friend would write letters to each other every day - even though we say each other each day!!

my hand writing is attrocious though, so its probably better for the reader to get anything i write electronically.

Anne x
26-Feb-09, 14:33
I used to love writing and receiving letters the anticipation of what was in that envelope was just great about the one and only Prize I ever got a school was for my handwriting now it tends to be a scribble
I did most of my courting to My daughters Dad by letter sadly its a thing of the Past now with the arrival of e mail etc Mobile phones and texting

wifie
26-Feb-09, 16:38
My handwriting is not terribly neat but I join up all my words!! Unlike those cheaters that think their handwriting is neat but they dont join up!! God at annoys me!!

pretty bored e day like

Doesthatnotmeanyoujustendupwionebeeglongword? :confused

teenybash
26-Feb-09, 17:07
Doesthatnotmeanyoujustendupwionebeeglongword? :confused

Brilliant...[lol]

poppett
26-Feb-09, 18:30
I have a friend who sends text messages not unlike that. As long as all the letters are there in any order the eye sorts them out.

I still have some folk who write letters and I write back, but getting lazy now with the pc. Have about three different styles, depending on the mood.

In school we were taught italic script in art, and one former classmate writes everything in italic script even now. It is wonderful to see the old arts being kept alive.

Julia
26-Feb-09, 19:19
What about those folk who write against the edge of a ruler? I hadn't seen that done in years but saw a receptionist in Raigmore writing that way recently, I thought it was just something kids did in school?

Welcomefamily
26-Feb-09, 20:34
I love writing, I have an old fountain pen which produces lovely curves etc, then I use hardback A4 books for notes as I tend to keep my old notes etc as you never know when you might need them again. I use the PC for formal reports etc.

rockchick
26-Feb-09, 20:55
For some reason (must be my upbringing) thank-you notes and responses to invitations, such as to a wedding, are always to be done by hand. Even though my handwriting is thoroughly atrocious.

For me, every other kind of correspondence is done in type...either because it's business, or if it's informal it's to save my reader the torture of having to decipher my scribble.

I would even type post-it notes if I could.

Whitewater
26-Feb-09, 22:58
I do a lot of writing, I have a good fountain pen and it is great, but I must say that my writing could be neater at times. I take minutes and write them up for an organisation I'm in. The minute book is a very large leger with prenumbered pages and margins for notes. I have to be as careful as I can as they are the history of the organisation and they have regular minutes from 1750 (if I recall correctly). The writing in these old minute books is something to behold, nearly all copperlate, and if not in copperplate some other very distinctive style, all written by people who obviously took great pride in their work. I'm afraid my efforts will never quite reach the standards of the past, but I keep trying and I enjoy doing it. But I'm afraid it is a dying art, particularly since the introduction of computers and email, which I must admit I use regularly myself.

jings00
26-Feb-09, 23:04
i wrote a friend a letter yesterday...i do like writing.
like to receive letters too.
tho since getting the computer, mobile phone, i don't write as much

George Brims
26-Feb-09, 23:13
I went through the whole inkwell and nibbed pens malarkey with the books where you copied the copperplate letters. It didn't stick. My signature looks like G~~~~ B~~~~~
Somehow over my career I have worked with two people who are able to read by awful scrawl.

Dadie
26-Feb-09, 23:38
I have quite neat handwriting when I can be bothered and always send a note with things..xmas cards, thank you notes, birthdays etc.
But I am troubled by the proper way to write them ... with spacing, sir, madam, sincerley dearly etc...