PDA

View Full Version : Smoking ban in Scotland

Fluff
15-Feb-06, 20:31
I know the ban comes into force in Scotland in March, but does anyone know the date of when it is due to start?

I am coming up the start of march (yay) and am hoping it will start then so I can go out to skins and not come back stinkin to high heaven of fags!

Many thanks

erli
15-Feb-06, 20:37
We are all coming up to the start of March lol.
I think it starts on no smoking day, thats about 26th march i think.

landmarker
15-Feb-06, 20:54
Any Scots bound lorry drivers will have to stub their fags out just south of Gretna. If they puff in their cabs once they're north of the border then they are breaking the law. NO SMOKING IN THE WORKPLACE!
Ridiculous? I'd say so.

(and I dont smoke)

JAWS
15-Feb-06, 21:21
I'm totally with you on that landmarker. How long before they want to poke their noses into people's bedrooms to make sure their not smoking in bed?
"Setting your house on fire can seriously infringe on other people's liberty!"

"Quick, raid that house, they've covered the camera! They might be having a quickie under the bedclothes!"

Surprising the lengths some people will go to just for a quick drag!

emszxr
15-Feb-06, 21:50
i am all for the no smoking ban. but do agree with you's on the wagon drivers if they are one manned and not double manned then why shouldnt they be allowed to smoke.
and are we all going to be intoxicated walking past all the smokers into the pubs etc and are they going to put up proper bins for fag ends or are the streets going to be littered and then the council tax will go up again to pay to clean it all up.

connieb19
15-Feb-06, 21:53
i am all for the no smoking ban. but do agree with you's on the wagon drivers if they are one manned and not double manned then why shouldnt they be allowed to smoke.
and are we all going to be intoxicated walking past all the smokers into the pubs etc and are they going to put up proper bins for fag ends or are the streets going to be littered and then the council tax will go up again to pay to clean it all up.So are you all for it or not???? Your post kinda contradicts itself!!!:confused:

emszxr
15-Feb-06, 21:56
sorry yes i am all for the no smoking ban. i even hate walking past someone in the street that is smoking.
i am just hoping that smokers will do the decent thing and tidy up after themselves.

Bingobabe
15-Feb-06, 21:58
i am a smoker and i dont mind if you have to go out side and smoke but not being able to go outside for a fag on your break at work is taking it a bit to far wheres your rights there you dont seem to have any anymore whats next an alcohol ban[evil] [mad] :confused:

connieb19
15-Feb-06, 22:03
i am a smoker and i dont mind if you have to go out side and smoke but not being able to go outside for a fag on your break at work is taking it a bit to far wheres your rights there you dont seem to have any anymore whats next an alcohol ban[evil] [mad] :confused:Well I can't wait. Why should I have to walk past all you smelly lot to get back into the workplace. Why don't you walk to your car and smoke in there and keep your smell to yourself, that way everyones happy!! [disgust]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
15-Feb-06, 22:06
i am a smoker and i dont mind if you have to go out side and smoke but not being able to go outside for a fag on your break at work is taking it a bit to far wheres your rights there you dont seem to have any anymore whats next an alcohol ban[evil] [mad] :confused:

I'm the same Bingobabe.Love my fags but it wouldn't bother me to go outside.Maybe we could put the ash in our hands at first and then when we have finished.We can put the ash in our pockets.

But here is the clever part,we all have a zip in our pocket,and then you walk along like Jimmy Calderwood the Aberdeen boss and all the ash goes doon your trouser leg,onto the ground.If it worked in the Great Escape it will work for us.;)

daviddd
15-Feb-06, 22:36
If all the smokers in Caithness gave up, and resolved to spend the money in local shops, think of the benefit to the Caithness economy and to their health (not to mention benefit to the good old NHS!)

brandy
15-Feb-06, 23:24
im all for the ban. i worked in a hotel in the bar.. i have never been able to stand smoke and fags in general but when i became preg. it was a thousand times worse.
you would think that people seeing a heavily preg. woman would not sit at teh bar blowing smoke in her face.
when i tried to back away from the smokers and stand in a corner trying not to be sick.. i was told off .. because what would the customers think me trying to avoid them?
gasp shock.. that i didnt want to puke on them .. get lung cancer .. and seriously damage my unborn baby.. for the sake of a job that i needed?
so if only for the staff.. and pregnant mums and children.. yup no smoking in public please!

rich62_uk
15-Feb-06, 23:30
At this rate I can see us in a few years time having to see a dealer to buy cigerettes lol

I am for the ban ......... Trish.:grin:

Blast!
16-Feb-06, 00:45
As a non-smoker this ban can't come quickly enough - in the right situation. I think it's my right to go into a pub and be able to breathe smoke free air, i also feel sorry for bartenders who have to put up with customers smoking at the bar - it's just not fair on them. Smoking in the work place, fair enough ban that too, but only where it's relevant. Like landmarker said, lorry drivers etc should be allowed to smoke if they want provided it's not interfering with out people i.e. they are the only person in the cab. Where's the harm in that? People not being allowed to have a smoke on thier lunch break? That's also ridiculous. If you're outside you can smoke, regardless of who's time you're on.

I can see the atmosphere in some pubs suffering from this smoking ban. They should have started by enforcing bars and pub to put in place good quality extraction equiptment - that would help solve the problem to a certain extent.

But i've heard some folk's on having seperate smoking/non-smoking rooms. I couldn't see it working, it's unworkable.

Imagine going to a pub with your mates, you're the only non-smoker, are you going to sit on your own while they goto the smokers lounge for a quick one - or if they goto the smokers lounge altogether? It's unmanagable.

Ban smoking in public places we're innocent passers by may have their health damaged - anywhere else, smoke away!

Rheghead
16-Feb-06, 00:49
Like landmarker said, lorry drivers etc should be allowed to smoke if they want provided it's not interfering with out people i.e. they are the only person in the cab.

I think that is the case....if they own the cab and they can ensure that no one else can use it.

jings00
16-Feb-06, 00:50
Well, instead of just banning smoking, why doesn't the Government just make it illegal and "stump" it out altogether? Cos they make too much money out of it, and would the NHS not suffer more this way?? I smoke, but i hate smoky places and it makes me really wonder when i see parents smoking with their offspring breathing it in.
On the other hand, I don't like walking along the road breathing in car and lorry and bus fumes, admittedly not bad in Thurso, but in the cities, gads!! Ptooo!

nightowl
16-Feb-06, 00:59
NHS highland Brings In Smoking Ban Ahead Of New Laws
Wednesday 8 March is National No Smoking Day and this is when NHS Highland’s new Tobacco Policy will come into effect. This will ensure that NHS Highland is acting in accordance with the legislation of the Smoking Ban in public places which comes into effect on 26 March.

A thought, if you are going into hospital!

JAWS
16-Feb-06, 01:02
I think they should close all bars and clubs so decent sober people do not have to suffer the smell of alcohol and suffer from people who have been drinking. They should do it in their own home so nobody else is affected.
It would also ease a lot of strain on the Health Service and save money so people who are ill can receive proper treatment!

No I don't smoke but I have suffered at the hands of drunks even when minding my own business.

I've yet to be threatened by a rowdy "out of his head" smoker.
Neither have I heard of a fatal accident being caused by a "Smoked Driver".
“Did drive a motor vehicle with an excess of smoke in the blood”?
Still, wait and see, some idiot will try to make it law!

jings00
16-Feb-06, 01:07
and walkin past people wearing an excess of deoderants/perfumes/aftershaves, can taste the stuff. YUK. Could choke a dozen donkeys on some fowk's perfumes.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Feb-06, 01:22
So much for education.

The Government are, in direct effect, 'telling' you you cannot smoke. Now, the Government don't do anything - that I think is good for them, and the country - I 'tell' them to do, so why should I, a member of the British public, adhere to their claptrap?

That aside, I'll (privately) be happy tobacco smoke will be stamped out. Though it won't make us live forever.

angela5
16-Feb-06, 01:26
I'm a smoker and all for the ban i have no right to pass on the effects of smoking to a non-smoker.

Fran
16-Feb-06, 01:55
I know the ban comes into force in Scotland in March, but does anyone know the date of when it is due to start?

I am coming up the start of march (yay) and am hoping it will start then so I can go out to skins and not come back stinkin to high heaven of fags!

Many thanks

IT will be just like the mobile phone ban when you are driving, people still do it, i passed 5 lorries on their phones today, and police dont bother, you never hear of motorists being charged. it will be the same with the smoking ban, people will still do it.

abalone
16-Feb-06, 03:24
I'm a smoker and all for the ban i have no right to pass on the effects of smoking to a non-smoker.

I'm a non smoker but how can you ban something that's not illegal?

JAWS
16-Feb-06, 04:29
Don't worry folks, once they have finished with smoking they will soon find something else to stop people doing.
Alcohol won't be far behind followed by certain food and drinks they deem to be bad for you.

Think I'm exaggerating? Listen to the occasional mutterings that happen from time to time.
It will take a while but the mutterings will become whispers, the whispers will become voices, the voices will become threats and eventually the threats will become hysteria.
After that it's only a matter of time, everybody will become believers. Whatever they have decided on will be banned and the same ritual, if it has not already, will be started again for the next bit of control.

All in the Public Interest, you understand, it's for your own good!

ivy
16-Feb-06, 09:41
i think pubs would loose alot of business

landmarker
16-Feb-06, 18:29
No U.K. government will ban alcohol, until the demographics shift far enough for a fundamentalist Muslim Party to gain power.(I'd guess c.2150)

This will possibly be the tipping point to civil war. Underground breweries and stills springing up, defended to the hilt by an indigenous population who were relaxed at seeing their liberties whittled away one by one until.......agggh...the booze ban. It's time to resist folks!

badger
16-Feb-06, 18:49
I hate smoking and can't stand the smell of it so think the ban is great but it has thrown up a few oddities. Apparently the bars in the House of Commons will be exempt when the English law comes in because the House is a Royal Palace. Do they have bars in Holyrood?

Also we have been told to display a No Smoking notice in church, because it's an enclosed public place. This is going to look completely out of place and I don't ever remember seeing anyone even consider lighting up in church, it just doesn't happen. We did wonder about incense :confused: .

Will someone invent a harmless cigarette?

Rheghead
16-Feb-06, 18:58
This is going to look completely out of place and I don't ever remember seeing anyone even consider lighting up in church, it just doesn't happen.

Why? Does God disapprove of smoking?:grin:

Seriously though, you could make it as small as you want so as to not look out of place.

connieb19
16-Feb-06, 19:42
Don't worry folks, once they have finished with smoking they will soon find something else to stop people doing.
Alcohol won't be far behind followed by certain food and drinks they deem to be bad for you.

Think I'm exaggerating? Listen to the occasional mutterings that happen from time to time.
It will take a while but the mutterings will become whispers, the whispers will become voices, the voices will become threats and eventually the threats will become hysteria.
After that it's only a matter of time, everybody will become believers. Whatever they have decided on will be banned and the same ritual, if it has not already, will be started again for the next bit of control.

All in the Public Interest, you understand, it's for your own good!I've never heard of anyone being affected by passive drinking though??